short shifter purchases - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
short shifter purchases
Tuesday, March 24, 2009 11:46 PM
Looking into getting a short shifter either from Cosmo Racing or Fidanza. B&M is too much imo.
I also found this on eBay, sketchy look to it but if you click under purchases, there's a sh*t load of ppl who bought them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cavalier-Sunfire-01-02-03-04-05-T-6-Short-Throw-Shifter_W0QQitemZ110356491047QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item110356491047& _trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1205|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Just curious if I should give it a try...

Re: short shifter purchases
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 3:03 AM
If the small cost of B&M is too much for you, that sure is going to suck when you start doing big mods to your car.... Personally, I have seen those cheaper imitation short throws and they are definitely notably cheap. Penny up and get the B&M. Take 45 minutes to install, feels solid, and as far as daily fun is just the best bang for the buck mod I ever did to my Cavalier. But hey if you want a loose, sloppy, cheaper imitation, more power to ya!

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

In my family we teach that boys have a God-stick and girls have a Shame Cave. -John Stewart
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 6:49 AM
just cut like 1.5" from your stocky and you have that shifter.

honestly the only reason i bought the b&m was because i hated the cheap knob, i wanted a screw on that wouldn't come off everytime i decided to shift fast. for me the b&m feels almost the same as my stocker but i also did not replace the bushings when i had it apart. the b&m is a great shifter and you should definitely get one over a knock-off ebay shifter

ʇı ɹǝʍo7 | ǝcoMonstǝrs

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 7:11 AM
b&m, no less. got one comin for my swap

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 7:28 AM
i got mine from cosmo no complaints.

and i wouldn't say its cheap in the slightest.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 7:36 AM
29 bucks?

if you dont like it ill put it to good use lol

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 7:38 AM
but no seriously dont. b&m best choice on the market

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 8:26 AM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:If the small cost of B&M is too much for you, that sure is going to suck when you start doing big mods to your car.... Personally, I have seen those cheaper imitation short throws and they are definitely notably cheap. Penny up and get the B&M. Take 45 minutes to install, feels solid, and as far as daily fun is just the best bang for the buck mod I ever did to my Cavalier. But hey if you want a loose, sloppy, cheaper imitation, more power to ya!

I had a B&M in my old 96 J. I loved it. It felt nice and solid. The thought of be breaking it never crossed my mind when i was slamming gears.

Fluffy wrote:just cut like 1.5" from your stocky and you have that shifter

Cutting your shifter doesnt reduce the throw. It just reduces its profile. The true short throw shifters have their piviot ball moved up(higher on the shaft) and that is where the reduction in throw comes from.

Tinkles

2003 Cavalier 1SV
Bagged and Blown

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 9:44 AM
Fluffy wrote:... but i also did not replace the bushings when i had it apart.

what do you mean by that, are you supposed to?

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 10:43 AM
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 12:53 PM
when we meet up sometime, mind if i see what its like with the short throw? I cut my stick and want to see the difference.

03 cavalier
us amps 100hc running at .5 ohms
digital designs 3512
yellow top g34
kenwood ddx-8019

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 1:02 PM
I love my B&M. I have had them in every car I have ever had. My zx2, both my mustangs, and now my sunfire...LOVE THEM LOVE THEM LOVE THEM...wouldn't buy anything else. I never broke a shifter until i drove one of my friends zx2's back in the day. He had the fidanza, I was slamming through gears on the freeway in Cali, going from 5th to 4th for a pull, it sheared right in my hand. THAT SUCKED. I abuse the hell outta my B&M, and if fells as solid as it did the day I got it, and I even bought it used.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 2:45 PM
I had my B&M for alittle over a year before the cart was sold, but i ended up trading it to another org member for his stock shifter. Im pretty sure it was OEM who "relieved" me of it. As far as i know, it's still going strong.

Tinkles

2003 Cavalier 1SV
Bagged and Blown

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 9:06 PM
I don't know about Cosmo's shifters, but I can tell you their intake is well made, though the fit for the Eco intakes is questionable at best. Hopefully they put a little more R&D into their shifters.
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 9:24 PM
Fluffy wrote:just cut like 1.5" from your stocky and you have that shifter.

wrong.

I've beaten this topic to death on multiple forums, if you think cutting the stick shortens the throw you should be hit in the head.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 2:47 PM
I have the fidanza and i think its ok. The only thing i don't like is the little bit of play in it. Do the B&M's have this side to side play? It's like 1/2" side to side play.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 6:15 PM
Matt Burgess wrote:I have the fidanza and i think its ok. The only thing i don't like is the little bit of play in it. Do the B&M's have this side to side play? It's like 1/2" side to side play.

i think every shifter must have some play or else you would never get into gear.

was it easy to install just by reading the included instructions with the shifter?

Friday, March 27, 2009 10:07 AM
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:
Fluffy wrote:just cut like 1.5" from your stocky and you have that shifter.

wrong.

I've beaten this topic to death on multiple forums, if you think cutting the stick shortens the throw you should be hit in the head.

i know its not an actual short throw just cause you cut the top off i'm just sayin that one shift just looked like a billet stocky with the top cut

ʇı ɹǝʍo7 | ǝcoMonstǝrs

Friday, March 27, 2009 10:50 AM
B&M FTW! All the short throw shifters for the 00+ J's are replicas of the B&M why get a fake when you can have the real deal! I thought it was a bit pricey at first but 6 years later i dont regret it at all!

Friday, March 27, 2009 1:48 PM
Spalattero wrote:
Matt Burgess wrote:I have the fidanza and i think its ok. The only thing i don't like is the little bit of play in it. Do the B&M's have this side to side play? It's like 1/2" side to side play.

i think every shifter must have some play or else you would never get into gear.

was it easy to install just by reading the included instructions with the shifter?

Yes it was pretty straight forward, just make sure you mark the 2 cables before you unclip them. I forgot to mark them lol and i had to play around with them for a half an hour to get them set right.

Friday, March 27, 2009 5:42 PM
I have one that looks identical to that one and it works great. I have had it for quite a few month now and not a single problem. Installs easy too. I'd say go for it.

Monday, April 06, 2009 4:55 PM

If you have a lot of play in it while it's in gear your pivot ball cup (plastic cup thing the shifter sits in) might be broken. Good luck finding one. GM only sell the entire shifter assembly.

Monday, April 06, 2009 5:39 PM
Vitamin E (AKA Eddie) wrote:

If you have a lot of play in it while it's in gear your pivot ball cup (plastic cup thing the shifter sits in) might be broken. Good luck finding one. GM only sell the entire shifter assembly.

When i had it apart nothing looked broken. It looks a little worn and it just doesn't hug the shifter pivot ball that great. I was thinking about taking it apart and shimming it with maybe a piece of sheet metal. Cut it to wrap around that plastic cup and press it in as one piece.

Monday, April 06, 2009 6:38 PM
I found my B&M for like 50 bucks canadian shipped from the states,

just installed it on saturday.

so far I like it, still have to get another boot for it as the tabs on the other one snapped off in the winter when it got really cold.

I am going to try and make a leather one out of some scrap leather from the junk yard.
just need to get the little plastic part.

Monday, April 06, 2009 6:46 PM
just for the record the colbalt short shifters will work with 00+ cars, im not sure about the 95-99 but i highly doubt it,
thats what i have in mine at least, just in case anybodys looking for something different than B&M

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search