2k+ cavalier shiftboot retainer? - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2k+ cavalier shiftboot retainer?
Sunday, April 26, 2009 9:41 PM
I just bought a 2003 cavalier and it came with a broken retainer ring (the part that holds the shiftboot to the center console) its missing 3 clips and just keeps coming loose and popping off and it looks very ugly and I want to install a new shiftboot so my question is how or were can i buy a replacement retainer ?

CarDomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3828276

Re: 2k+ cavalier shiftboot retainer?
Sunday, April 26, 2009 9:44 PM
I have asked at the stealerships and they can get them, but they want your first born. I just picked up a unbroken one from the junkyard, of course your going to have to separate the shift boot from the retainer.

Tinkles

2003 Cavalier 1SV
Bagged and Blown

Sunday, April 26, 2009 9:58 PM
oh ok well ill give that a shot and ya I took the stock one off and it was a pain in the ass but I got it off lol

Sunday, April 26, 2009 10:25 PM
yeah, this is crazy... and i paid it cause i suck...but the Chevy dealership charges 50 freakin bucks for a new shift boot. (the retainer with a new boot on it of course)
so if you can find a good one from a junk yard... now you know what your saving!!!!

Monday, April 27, 2009 5:59 AM
ahh I see, well I dont have a junk yard anywere close nearby so Ill probly have to go to the dealership. 50 bucks is better then staring at a shiftboot that keeps coming off everyday lol.. thanks for the info!

Monday, April 27, 2009 8:06 PM
I'm on my second boot now and the one I got had all the clips and wasnt ripped but the B&M is brutal on boots. Now its ripped and 2 clips broke just like the first one.

Monday, April 27, 2009 8:11 PM
Chewy likes Cake wrote:I'm on my second boot now and the one I got had all the clips and wasnt ripped but the B&M is brutal on boots. Now its ripped and 2 clips broke just like the first one.

Leave the buttons undone with the B&M @!#$stain!

Monday, April 27, 2009 8:54 PM
Fox.02.LSS. wrote:yeah, this is crazy... and i paid it cause i suck...but the Chevy dealership charges 50 freakin bucks for a new shift boot. (the retainer with a new boot on it of course)
so if you can find a good one from a junk yard... now you know what your saving!!!!

of course you payed it...

Monday, April 27, 2009 9:04 PM
With discount from dealer it's only 30-something-ish. Was worth it for me.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 7:47 AM
Joe Schulte wrote:With discount from dealer it's only 30-something-ish. Was worth it for me.

how do you get a discount? thats right about how much I want to pay. the only one Ive found was on that gmpartsdirect site for 43 after shipping and tax is that site legit?

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 8:13 PM
gmpartsdirect.com is legit.

Discount I got as I PT'd at a local bodyshop, and I also knew someone whom worked @ another dealer thus him getting a discount. Majority of the time it involves a business account with the dealer, or a friend within.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 10:44 PM
j_a_c_k_s_o_n wrote:
Fox.02.LSS. wrote:yeah, this is crazy... and i paid it cause i suck...but the Chevy dealership charges 50 freakin bucks for a new shift boot. (the retainer with a new boot on it of course)

why be a douche? he said he sucks for paying it...lol
i hate the cheap clips on the boot though... (or the whole cheap chevy interior...they need to improve that for real...)
Wednesday, April 29, 2009 8:09 AM
Tommy F wrote:
j_a_c_k_s_o_n wrote:

why be a douche? he said he sucks for paying it...lol
i hate the cheap clips on the boot though... (or the whole cheap chevy interior...they need to improve that for real...)

OK im no detective here, but "Tommy" you joined yesterday, and only seem to be posting on posts that myself and Fox are in...

interesting...

AND you both have the exact same birthday?!?!

INTERESTING

are you twins?????

Is your body kit unpainted as well??

get a life kid

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 7:58 PM
wow jackson...someones getting a bit creepy with all that digging...lol
proving a point.
lol on the real though, are you dropping your ride? love the black wheels with the chrome lip... all black looks like a missing hub cap to me while moving...

Thursday, April 30, 2009 7:21 AM
Thats why i went for the chrome lip.
i like on the hwy seeing it in ppls paint...

drop?
im not sure i want one.

to get a decent ride quality you have to spend a lot of money, so ill save up and get a tien ss set up, until then its all stock ride height for me...

It doesnt look THAT bad in person, because its all black

And it didnt take that much to dig...

One click to look on a persons profile isnt that hard

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 9:43 AM
ok well to keep up to date i was finally able to get ahold of my local chevy dealership and I cant say I was really much helped at all I talked to the guy and told him exactly what I need and he just told me that he didnt know what I was talking about and that all he could see in his database was a shiftboot and then the actual shifter assembly( the gearbox, shifter, etc) I told him that it was the plastic ring that holds the shiftboot to the center console and just sat their clueless but he was able to qoute me a price of $60 bucks for the shift boot! and that he would have to order it.. now Im willing to pay that because i really hate looking at my shiftbootless car right now but I just want to be sure if the OEM shiftboot actually does come with that retainer ring built into it which is what everyone seems to be telling me I just want to be 100% sure... any insight on this?

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 10:54 AM
THEY ALL COME WITH THE RETAINER RING IN IT. IT'S THE WAY THEY'RE SET UP.
TO BEHONEST, I'D FORGET THE BOOT FROM THE DEALERSHIP
IT'S NOT LEATHER, BUT A CHEAP VINYL COVER WHICH WILL BREAK REALLY QUICKLY.
FOR THAT MONEY, GO TO THE YARD, STEAL A RETAINER RING, AND DON'T FORGET THE PLASTIC SURROUND ON IT
THEN BUY A MOMO/SPARCO/WHATEVER ACTUAL LEATHER BOOT AND PUT IT ON.
IT WILL LOOK A LOT BETTER, BE MORE DURABLE, AND COST YOU AROUND THE SAME MONEY AS THE DEALERSHIP.

I'LL TELL U NOW, USE THAT $60 AT THE DEALERSHIP, AND I CAN GUARANTEE YOU'LL BE BACK WITHIN THE YEAR TO GET ANOTHER ONE.
Wednesday, June 03, 2009 12:14 PM
dan C wrote:THEY ALL COME WITH THE RETAINER RING IN IT. IT'S THE WAY THEY'RE SET UP.
TO BEHONEST, I'D FORGET THE BOOT FROM THE DEALERSHIP
IT'S NOT LEATHER, BUT A CHEAP VINYL COVER WHICH WILL BREAK REALLY QUICKLY.
FOR THAT MONEY, GO TO THE YARD, STEAL A RETAINER RING, AND DON'T FORGET THE PLASTIC SURROUND ON IT
THEN BUY A MOMO/SPARCO/WHATEVER ACTUAL LEATHER BOOT AND PUT IT ON.
IT WILL LOOK A LOT BETTER, BE MORE DURABLE, AND COST YOU AROUND THE SAME MONEY AS THE DEALERSHIP.

I'LL TELL U NOW, USE THAT $60 AT THE DEALERSHIP, AND I CAN GUARANTEE YOU'LL BE BACK WITHIN THE YEAR TO GET ANOTHER ONE.

Yea man that was exactly what I was gonna do I was just gonna chuck out the stock boot because all im really after is that ring peice I allready bought a nicer leather shiftboot for my car but I just need that ring... but thanks for your input im more confident now in buying it I just really wanted to make sure it did infact come with that ring because the guy at the dealership acted like that part didnt even exist and thought I was making @!#$ up lol

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 5:00 PM
YEAH THEY'RE DUMB SOMETIMES.

GO TO A JUNKER TO GET THEM!!!!!

CHEAPER!!!!
Wednesday, June 03, 2009 8:46 PM
LOUD NOISES WHY IS EVERYONE YELLING??

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 9:09 PM
I DON'T KNOW

Thursday, June 04, 2009 12:17 PM
OH lol I work at a dealership, so everything I type's in caps.

I forget sometimes =D
Friday, June 05, 2009 12:35 AM
I ripped off the crappy old boot...and yes...those clips that hold on the retainer suck and break all the time...to be careful... and went down to auto zone and picked up a 10 dollar black red stitched boot and super glued it on the inside of the retainer a bit...here is what i ended up with...

http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/finnfox87/shiftboot.jpg

Saturday, June 06, 2009 11:01 PM
not too bad. not a fan tho

get your kit painted.

Monday, June 15, 2009 11:12 AM
white noise Mike...
to fill you in though bro... i was like....real close to just doing it when i had the money (painting the kit) but the car as a whole needs work...and the place i was gonna do it at had crappy reviews... so im saving to do the whole car at once...
and it doesnt look that bad white, most people think its on purpose. i get just as many complements on it (silly i know) as "paint your damn kit" remarks...lol
two tone... black on top maybe red on bottom

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search