Question About Trunk Rattle - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Question About Trunk Rattle
Friday, April 16, 2010 11:55 AM
okay..............so heres my problem......i put 12 inchers in my truck, i hear some rattle comming from the trunk, BUT its not the trunk it self, and its not those bars, has any one else expirenced this (it sounds like metal vibrating around or plastic on metal) if you need a vid ill post one up just say the word

Re: Question About Trunk Rattle
Friday, April 16, 2010 12:17 PM
Theres a vent behind the carpet on the passenger side quarter panel in the trunk.

Friday, April 16, 2010 12:24 PM
does it come from the top? because its by the rear 6x9s, like sounds like inbetween then, thanks for the fast response btw =) ill check anyway

Friday, April 16, 2010 12:41 PM
you checked and its not your license plate?

Friday, April 16, 2010 12:54 PM
i have not checked yet, baby needed to be tended too, but it is not my license plate

Friday, April 16, 2010 12:57 PM
forgot to mention in case this might play something, it is a 4 door i would edit but i dont think i can =)

Friday, April 16, 2010 12:59 PM
You own a J-body, everything rattles.

Friday, April 16, 2010 1:02 PM
could also be the tension bands that are there to hold the trunk open

Friday, April 16, 2010 1:05 PM
Cody @ RD Fabs wrote:You own a J-body, everything rattles.

lol touche..........and its a base so i supose that makes it worse =)

Friday, April 16, 2010 1:08 PM
well if you dont have subs, your @!#$ doesnt rattle

Friday, April 16, 2010 6:00 PM
well i feel stupid now......i took off that little carpet piece by the 6x9s and there was a little plastic piece.........than later my tire went completely flat, now i need a new one

Friday, April 16, 2010 6:25 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:well if you dont have subs, your @!#$ doesnt rattle

Truth

Sunday, April 18, 2010 8:11 PM
M3ch wrote:well i feel stupid now......i took off that little carpet piece by the 6x9s and there was a little plastic piece.........than later my tire went completely flat, now i need a new one

LOL. Just get your tire patched. I started hearing a rattle with mine and it turns out it's the bumper. I can lift the bumper a bit and the rattle stops.

Sunday, April 18, 2010 8:38 PM
My car rattles EVERYWHERE just accept it or start mass loading and hunting every little rattle.

Theres also a hole between the 6x9s in the rear and that air pressure makes the deck cover buzz against the rear window. Theres a ton of places that rattle. I cant even list all of them.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 6:21 AM
NaviCavi (thnkin04eco) wrote:
M3ch wrote:well i feel stupid now......i took off that little carpet piece by the 6x9s and there was a little plastic piece.........than later my tire went completely flat, now i need a new one

LOL. Just get your tire patched. I started hearing a rattle with mine and it turns out it's the bumper. I can lift the bumper a bit and the rattle stops.

well the tire wasnt worth saving because it was there was 0 tread left, litterally, it was flat in some places, i got pics of how flat it was, and the tread was seperating from the rubber, and like i said now i just have normal trunk rattle, its like slapping, but oh well, i cant hear it from the inside so thats all good.....

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 3:15 PM
M3ch, I have the issue that the bar that is welded into the bumper rusted out, check that, i put in a 1/4 in steel plate and re-welded it and i haven't had any issues. hopes it helps

"Wars come and go, But my Soldiers stay ETERNAL!" Tupac
Monday, May 10, 2010 10:52 AM
Invest in some sound deadening stuff and wrap every inch of the car then put foam between every edge of the panels so they cannot vibrate against each other. That's about the only way to get rid of all the rattles.

Disclaimer: Dey see me Trollin' Dey hatin' for trollin dey trying to catch me ridin dirty.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 7:42 PM
Only real rattle I can hear in my car from the subs is the plastic flaps/decompression chamber in the trunk of the car... otherwise, my license plate rattles a bit, but once my plates get renewed... next week, those rattles will be gone. And since the former owner had subs... it should be pretty well 'broken in' already... so if there are no more rattles or noises afterwards... their will be none

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 10:15 AM
i just sold my 12" type r's the other day, but while i was installing my 6x9's, i took the time to sound deaden only the top of the metal piece where the 6x9's mount. after that i put the new type r 6x9's back in the stock plastic oem holders and installed everything back, then took HOUSE insulation (pink panther or any other stuff you can find that looks like cotton candy) and stuffed all the holes in the trunk lid as tight as possible the ONLY rattle i had after that was the liscence plate but 2 screws fixed that problem, only thing you could hear rattling in my car were the rear view and the window cranks. not a peep anywhere else!
Wednesday, July 28, 2010 11:07 AM
I wouldn't suggest doing house insulation like above^ with any bass the fiberglass in the insulation is going to go everywhere after awhile and thats not the best thing to be inhaling...
I have three layers on Dynamat/Fat mat in the trunk and a layer on all four doors (sedan) and a layer on the rear deck (where the 6x9's are) and roof and my rear bumper is spray foamed (great stuff brand) and license plate is dynamatted and the only thing that rattles is the piece against the back window which i have to fix soon ( i think someone said they shoved a towel underneath there?)

Oh and the flap thinger i took it out and fat matted over top... i know its for decompression of the cab but for stereo comps i was taking it out every time a duct-taping it over so i thought why not just cover it for good lol

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 5:22 PM
yeah please don't ever use house insulaton, thats stuff is a major eye and skin irritant and driving around with the windows down could make for a miserable drive.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography

Sunday, August 01, 2010 9:38 AM
lol ive never had any problem with the insulation. its packed in the trunk lid holes VERY tightly and the holes are covered up with pieces of sound deadener so its not like any of it is gunna come out anytime soon. and its only irritant and itchy if your sweating lol, other than that its easy to work with, and im pretty sure the bass wont be blowing it around when it cant even get out of where it is in the first place, i was just saying that if you pack it tightly it works very well instead of filling the holes with spray foam and risk getting the spray foam all over everything if your not used to using it.
Monday, August 02, 2010 2:58 PM
next time remark about the fact that you completly sealed that in. someone who read the post and who didnt know you needed to cover it and seal it up may not do that and then wind up with insulation dust in there eyes and take a trip to the hospital.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Monday, August 02, 2010 9:53 PM
I ran house insulation instead of Polyfill behind my kick panels.

Tuesday, August 03, 2010 10:17 AM
TheSundownfire said: Theres a vent behind the carpet on the passenger side quarter panel in the trunk.

I'm just an observer whos had a 99 Z for 10 years now. I've always had a 2 12s in the trunk and to stop those vent rattles I stuffed it with hand towles years ago. It completely stopped those rattles but reading this post completely reminded me of doing that years ago. I see you guys talking about the fact its for decompression. Was that moronic to do? Should I go back in there and take the towels out? Is it/has it caused any problems I am un-aware of. Lol sorry if this is a dumb question dudes, I'm just an observer that happened to buy a 99z at 16 and still drive the beast going on 27.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search