Painting door panel - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Painting door panel
Tuesday, June 15, 2010 3:40 AM

In the above image the body around the door handle is painted yellow(along with the handle itself, but I just want to paint the body).
I want to know how to take out this part. I don't think I need to take out the handle with it.
Can someone lead me to a write-up, or tell me how to do it? I tried prying it loose with a screwdriver but it seems keen on staying there.

Do I have to take out the whole door panel, or can that piece sitting around the door handle be taken out by simply taking out the two screws in its tummy?

Re: Painting door panel
Tuesday, June 15, 2010 3:51 AM
The whole door panel has to come out.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 10:35 AM
I would really like that interior if they hadn't painted the handles. The dash face and top of the center console, along with the e-brake handle, body color matched with an otherwise stock colored interior is perfect. IMO the only way the painted handles would work in that car would be to replace the door insert with yellow vinyl that matches the paint. This would give it the continuity that just paint does not offer.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 2:17 PM
Yeah I agree with you QLC, that's why I won't paint the door handle.
I took out the door panel like Mike said, after fidgeting for an hour with the window crank.
It turns out I cannot remove the door handle casing even from the back, as you will see in the pictures below.
It seems that it is clipped with plastic that has been melted down attaching it to the cloth part and the rest of the door panel.
Anyway, what I did was probably the long cut, and I wonder if other people who painted that part did the same.
I wish other people who've painted their door handle casing could contribute.
Here's what I did. I still haven't painted anything, and I'm still working with the first door panel(driver's side).
I wonder if it's legal to drive around without the door panel on, along with the dash and bezel... :S

Talk about overkill...
Wednesday, June 16, 2010 3:41 PM
What you have done is fine. Other than it's best to sand down the handle before paint to ensure adhesion, as well as a smooth look if you want that.
There is no other way to paint what you want painted. Trust me when I say, you do not want to break or melt those plastic inserts, because they're not fun to re-attach.
For a good write up on how to paint your interior, refer to the sticky in the interior section main page at the top.

For painting inbehind the door handle, just mask off like what you've done on your door panel and paint away. If you have time, buy a small white LED, and mount it inbehind the handle connecting to the interior lights. So when you open your door, it lights up your handle then fades on the interior timer, or connect the power to your dimmer power so they're on while your driving. Just a thought.

and to your other question, its not illegal to drive around with out door panels or a dash, as long as your air bags will deploy you wont have a problem.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 6:07 PM
Hassoun wrote:Yeah I agree with you QLC, that's why I won't paint the door handle....
Actually, I should have clarified my statement a little better. I would like it if they didn't paint the handles or the trim around them. Not a fan of the handle trim being painted. The only way it would look good IMO is if the arm rest was recovered with yellow vinyl that matched the handle trim.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 7:41 AM
Put it back together a few days ago.

Monday, July 12, 2010 9:59 AM
Looks pretty good.. not a huge fan of the center console tho... to me it looks like you just painted the parts that would come out easily..

Monday, July 12, 2010 3:39 PM
lafonjef wrote:Looks pretty good.. not a huge fan of the center console tho... to me it looks like you just painted the parts that would come out easily..

Looks, good, and I agree with Lafonjef, It does look as if you painted the stuff on the center consol that comes out easily. But IMO, i would have NEVER painted the rubber ring thats around your shifter, just bc of the fact that does move, slightly, but it does move and that will chip off pretty quick. It dont matter how much you prepped it, it will flake off. If I were you, I would pull out the center console, and repaint thoe whole thing. Its basically 2 screws in the bottom of the storage space, 1 or 2 (cant remember off hand) under your change holder, and 1 in front of the cup holders under a little cover that makes it look pretty. The shifter knob comes off by a little clip on the side closest to your radio (feel with your finger, feel that opening, put a small flathead screw driver in there and pop that clip out and boom, pull up on the shifter knob and thats it, just put it back on, and pop the clip back in to re-install it) and pull the whole console out, and paint it. Would look tons better, and give the car a overall uniform look, but hey thats my opinion. Goodluck, and great start so far!!

Thursday, July 15, 2010 5:14 AM
yeah think you should have kept it like how the origonal picture was done. with all the little pieces on yours it does just look like you took out anything u could unscrew and sprayed them. id also suggest painting the whole top portion of the center console.

as for the door panel pieces, ive used heat guns af ew times to melt the plastic welds off, then used the heatgun again to remelt th tabs when i was done with whatever piece i was working on.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search