Stripped Interior-Pictures? - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Stripped Interior-Pictures?
Friday, June 18, 2010 11:31 AM
I am considering stripping my car's interior and only keeping the two front seats and dashboard, so I can work on panels over the course of the next couple months. I am also thinking about completely removing carpet and putting some grip-tape in the foot wells.

My questions are-
1. Do J's get really noisy without carpet?
2. What interior panels are essential to safe vehicle for on road use?
3. Are there any sound deadener's under the carpet that will need freezing or scraping out for aesthetic's.
4. Are there any wires or cable running under the carpet that will need relocation? If so what the best way of doing this?
5. Other than grip tape (still deciding) what are other options for foot well grip with out carpeting?

Thanks guys. Can't wait for your help and criticism!

Re: Stripped Interior-Pictures?
Friday, June 18, 2010 9:23 PM
Go to the junkyard and grab the panels from a wreaked J to work on.

Friday, June 18, 2010 3:21 PM
davedmp wrote:I am considering stripping my car's interior and only keeping the two front seats and dashboard, so I can work on panels over the course of the next couple months. I am also thinking about completely removing carpet and putting some grip-tape in the foot wells.

My questions are-
1. Do J's get really noisy without carpet?
2. What interior panels are essential to safe vehicle for on road use?
3. Are there any sound deadener's under the carpet that will need freezing or scraping out for aesthetic's.
4. Are there any wires or cable running under the carpet that will need relocation? If so what the best way of doing this?
5. Other than grip tape (still deciding) what are other options for foot well grip with out carpeting?

Thanks guys. Can't wait for your help and criticism!

1) yes
2) I'm not sure on law requirements.. I think you need to check local laws, but if I had to guess I'd say anything from the side of you forward (door panels forward)

3) yes, there's a few spots that have a black sealing compound on the floor that need to be scraped off, and there are also thick grey insulation with a padded film inbetween all along the firewall. A few other spots have this type of insulation/ sound deadening but it is easily removable.

4) the SRS computer (airbags) is mounted under the passenger seat, and I'm not sure how you would relocate/ hide these wires.. I just removed the system on my car (purpose built drag car). The vent ducting is also under the carpet and will look pretty ugly.

5) best idea would be grip tape or just leave it alone.. grip tape on the pedals would be ideal, and is what I plan on doing (I removed the ugly rubber covers)

keep in mind, most of the crap that is there stock is already removed in these pictures.

Friday, June 18, 2010 4:56 PM
Just get some stock parts out of the yard if you want to work on panels.

Driving around hollow sucks and will make you wish you got spare parts to work with.

I <3 JGM
I think bigfoot is blurry,
that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry. And that's extra
scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster, roaming the countryside.
"Run! He's fuzzy!" "Get outta here!"

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005

Friday, June 18, 2010 11:52 PM
i drove my old cavvy around with no interior at all, the last day i had it before i scrapped it, i drove it with no doors, then i drove it onto a trailer, took the rims off, and off it went oh well, every cars life ends eventually, heres what it looked like in the end

ps, it sucks riding with no interior
Saturday, June 19, 2010 7:26 PM
if you could drive it you could have done something with it. why junk a car that drives?

Monday, June 21, 2010 2:54 PM
the frame rotted out, was an old car, i ended up using alot of parts from it though
Sunday, June 27, 2010 9:02 PM
So i just came across a deal for an entire interior pulled out of 2dr, so spare interior it is. I already stripped my passenger seat and i'm currently sewing up the inserts. i have the tan tweed seats and they are going to be put back but with leather side bolsters and i have already got one door insert finished. I will post pictures in a new post when i get a chance. Thanks for all your help guys! SO thankful i didn't gut the car. I will still need to decide what to do with the carpet.

The seats are coming out very nicely. I have some faux leather (vinyl) from Joanns clearance, and I have been stitching them with a a baseball like stitch. I am not pleased with the door insert. It doesn't look original, like what I am going for. I hot glued it and it sticks but I am having trouble getting the edge to seat flush. Any help ideas will be considered. Will post more later.
Monday, June 28, 2010 1:48 PM
3m spray adhesive will work better than the hot glue.

Friday, July 16, 2010 8:08 PM
I wish I read this thread before I took on this task...

Although it started small...with the vents, it quickly built up momentum

Car is very noisy and passengers are not impressed...

Im 75% done...rear panels, center console and dash are all pretty much done, just the door panels left

Monday, July 19, 2010 2:38 AM
Mike Oag wrote:i drove my old cavvy around with no interior at all, the last day i had it before i scrapped it, i drove it with no doors, then i drove it onto a trailer, took the rims off, and off it went oh well, every cars life ends eventually, heres what it looked like in the end

ps, it sucks riding with no interior

Lol, thats exactly what the parts car I got rid of yesterday looked like, except it had all 4 wheels, and both the doors lol.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search