Remove Center console in automatic - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Remove Center console in automatic
Wednesday, July 05, 2006 11:32 PM
Hi. Ive got a 96 Cavalier and was wondering how to get the center console out?? I have it all detached and everything but cant get it around the shifter. Please Help. Thanks

Re: Remove Center console in automatic
Wednesday, July 05, 2006 11:56 PM
Take the shifter off.
IDK if it's the same as my 04 but on my 04 there is a c clip on the front side of the shifter, pull that out and take the knob off.

If this isn't right, if you search you will find the answer on how to get yours off. Check the stickies at the top of this forum too.

-Seth

Thursday, July 06, 2006 6:48 AM
there is a staple.. if u feel the front bottom of the shifter ull feel a slot.. take a flathead screwdriver and pry it out, then just pull on the shifter and itll come one..

Thursday, July 06, 2006 7:19 AM
Remove the shifter, and pop off the window switch panel. There are (4) 10mm bolts---1 under the window switch panel, 2 in center compartment, under the armrest (use a big extension) and 1 under a circular clip in the bowl, under the radio. Take those 4 out, pull up the e-brake, and take it out. Pulling the e-brake makes it real easy to remove.

Sam

Ban low-performance cars, not high-performance ones.
Saturday, July 08, 2006 7:41 PM
Come on now, I understand there are people that arent so mechanically incline, but come on, taking things apart is the easy part!!! If you have everything loose, but there is something that is stopping it from coming off, obivously that piece has to come off as well. If you look at the piece around the shifter, you can obviously see that there is no way to get it around the shifter knob. To answer the question. 2 bolts in the arm rest compartment in the bottom, pop off the shifter knob(c-clip in the front, pry it out with a screwdriver), take off that plastic piece and the power window switch, taht plastic piece will pop right out with a screwdriver or something of the like, unplug the switch, put that aside, a few bolts under those plastic pieces that are holding down the console, then there is a bolt up in the front "tray" A circle plastic piece is covering the bolt and bolthole, pop it off with a screwdriver, unbolt the bolt, and lift the console out.
Saturday, July 08, 2006 9:29 PM
I never had to remove my shift knob to get my center console out...

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Saturday, July 31, 2010 10:40 AM
boy Sam you werent kidding when you said a big extension, I used 2 6" extensions to get to em, damn. Oh and if your car has one, have to turn the console on its side and remove the auxially power switch (on lower right side of console)
Saturday, July 31, 2010 8:16 PM
meant auxillary, my spelling sux, LOL
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search