replacing airbags? - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
replacing airbags?
Monday, April 11, 2005 12:34 AM
does anyone know much about cavalier airbags? im trying to buy a set of airbags for my car, and it seems each set comes with somthing diffrent.

if im correct, it should come with:
-driver side airbag in cover
-passenger side airbag w/cover
-airbag sensor for under the passenger seat

do you guys know if i need any other parts in order to have a full working system again? i basically wrecked my car, but sadly the worst damage came from the airbags deploying and hitting my windshield.

i have since fixed my entire car, including windshield, and i have talked to the guy at the chevy dealer, and he said if i bring him the airbags with the right parts then he would install them.

im thinking of getting a set of airbags off ebay for like 100$, since the dealer wants over 400$ just for the airbags, thats not even labor! what do you guys think? should i get them off ebay then have the dealer install them?

Re: replacing airbags?
Monday, April 11, 2005 3:58 AM
ebay is fine for airbags, unless the seller lies to you.......the sensor thing under the seat may be harder to find, most ebayers only sell the 2 bags.....too bad im not at my mom's house, i could give you 2 airbags......oh well......but yeah, ebay should be fine

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Monday, April 11, 2005 11:18 AM
i actually did find the 2 airbags (never rebuilt or deployed) and the sensor all for like 75$ + 25$ shipping. I think im going to get those, and then have the dealer install them.

many people have asked me why i dont install them myself, and its because i dont want them to deploy when im wiring them in, or when im driving down the road. ive done all the other engine work to my car, but airbags with the wires and stuff is somthing i dont want to screw up on.
Monday, April 11, 2005 12:26 PM
Don;t u also need a the sensor for the front of the car?

Monday, April 11, 2005 12:54 PM
yeah i actually just talked to the guy at the dealership. he is calling me back with the estimate. but yeah, he said i need the 2 airbags with the sensor under the seat (which i have) AND ALSO the 2 small sensors under the hood. But i cant find those on ebay, so ill have to get those from the dealer i guess. or just use the ones i have there now, lol.

the airbags dont have to function, i just want them in to fix my steering wheel and dash. ill have to post some pictures when im done too, of some before/after.

i basically totaled my car by running it into another parked car in the street. it caused 1500$ worth of damage....and thats just parts, not labor.

it killed my radiator, ac condensor, hood, both headlights, right corner light, cracked the intake manifold, pinched some other wires under the hood, crushed the fan, and when the airbags deployed it also shattered my windshield.

however me and my friend ordered all the parts and were able to fix it all in about 3 weeks.

ill post some pictures in the "crashed/wrecked" forum after i get my airbags fixed.
Monday, April 11, 2005 1:20 PM
There are two sensors in the front? I took out my airbags on my 04 to install the momo wheel. I should still have the sonsors in the front since I only took out the 2 airbags and the box under the seats. If they are expensive at the dealer e-mail me an offer and also tell me if there are two or just one.

Monday, April 11, 2005 10:13 PM
ok...so it looks like im not going to have the dealer install the airbags. i talked to the guy about a month ago and he said somthing like he thought it would be around 500$, now the estimate has come out to 1200$ JUST to install 2 airbags and the sensor.

instead me and my friend are going to install them. it cant be that hard, right?

does anyone here have experience installing/removing airbags on a 96 cavalier? is there a certain order you have to wire things so you dont deploy the new airbags?

i need any advice i can get...........or maybe someone knows of an online guide to help me? thanks in advance.
Monday, May 16, 2011 1:36 PM
i highly recommend that you DO NOT install your own airbags.

Monday, May 16, 2011 2:25 PM
dude, welcome to 2005 post.... let us know when you get to 2011.... and to clarify, i have pulled and reinstalled my airbags several times. now they are eliminated.... its not rocket science.

Thursday, May 19, 2011 12:41 PM
Right I have too probley more times than that.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search