Interior LED mods - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Interior LED mods
Wednesday, June 01, 2011 2:28 AM
took the gauge cluster apart and put a 6'' led strip in it, same color that's in my shift bezel.. UV purple.

looking at it now, i'd like to take it back apart and paint a black strip about 1cm tall on the bottom ledge of the clear lens, to sort of hide the led strip. and also get a longer strip to make the lighting a little more uniform.
to do this i just removed the top dash pad(10 7mm bolts and a few screws), and took the gauge cluster apart, and with a cordless dremel tool i made a hole in the base of the lens the size of roughly 3mm to run the wires through for the LED strip. The LED strip is held on by double sided tape.

i also added leds to the center vents that cycle through colors automatically

i don't have any night shots of them uploaded yet. and i'm not sure how i feel about them. i'm thinking of just picking a single color to go with. the changing colors are neat, but one color is what i want i think.

Re: Interior LED mods
Wednesday, June 01, 2011 9:31 AM
Is it on the inside of the cluster?, I've thought about doing that but with the light coming from the top down

Modding my j since I found the org
Wednesday, June 01, 2011 1:26 PM
get some night shots of the vents. Im curious to see how it looks. Im in the process of adding thousands of leds to my car... again. haha
Wednesday, June 01, 2011 5:32 PM
alejandro davila wrote:Is it on the inside of the cluster?, I've thought about doing that but with the light coming from the top down

yeah, i separated the lens/cover from the gauges and put the led strip all the way towards the driver and drilled a hole about 3" from the passenger side, near the front for the wires to go through.

i'll get some night shots up maybe tomorrow...i think i deleted them from my phone already thinking they were on the computer (and they aren't) gotta get ready for work..
Friday, July 01, 2011 11:53 AM
umm the vent lights are cool looking but i got a question.what if you turn youre heater on in the winter?
Saturday, July 02, 2011 3:36 AM
Brandon Westerfield wrote:umm the vent lights are cool looking but i got a question.what if you turn youre heater on in the winter?

what about it. the lights wont get hot enough to melt. dont think he will have an issue in the winter
Saturday, July 02, 2011 3:44 PM
u kiddin wrote:
Brandon Westerfield wrote:umm the vent lights are cool looking but i got a question.what if you turn youre heater on in the winter?

what about it. the lights wont get hot enough to melt. dont think he will have an issue in the winter

ook.just wondering.Just in case i decide to do the same thing.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search