Removing and Painting Lower Dash - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Removing and Painting Lower Dash
Wednesday, July 13, 2011 8:22 PM
Yup, i'm doing exactly what the subject says. Even though the best of me thinks this was a bad idea, and just too much work, I'm doing it anyways. I have my ENTIRE interior ripped out. Headliner, seats, carpet, rear dash, upper dash and I figured, I may as well tackle that monstrosity of a lower dash. (I am doing a full interior swap and wiring up my sound system and some blue LEDs) lots and lots of blue LEDs...

But anyways I have a graphite upper dash with light gray lower. As well a graphite center console and graphite doors. Im trying to keep a clean stock look, so I'm thinking i'll paint the lower dash gloss black. I don't want it graphite because then it would be too much of the same in my opinion. Also, that graphite colour match costs $15/can here

My headliner and rear dash will also be painted/dyed black. But what do you guys think, black lower dash. YES - NO - IDEAS ?

All input appreciated,
Thanks guys

Re: Removing and Painting Lower Dash
Wednesday, July 13, 2011 11:24 PM
I want to do this also got some of it done mine stock was tan and I hated it I got black sparcos and a suede steering wheel, new carpet and have painted some of the panels black already havent tackled the quarter panel peices yet or my headliner want to get that wrapped in black suede. I also painted my driver dash and center console cayene red the color of my cav to give the all black interior some contrast. then I got the carbon fiber interior kit. so I think if u paint your lower dash black and keep the rest graphite it will go good together.I used flat black duplicolr interior panel paint then clear coated it looks nice! then just the small duplicolor cayene red no clear.
Thursday, July 14, 2011 4:35 AM
rear dash isnt bad at all, maybe an hour to pull it out. your best bet is to do it a satin black, not gloss black. gloss black is going to give you the cheap ricer look. satin black is going to make it look like black plastic that came from the factory. trust me, a much cleaner look. i origonally did the gloss black on some of my pieces, later i went over it with the flat/satin black and it looked 100x better.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Thursday, July 14, 2011 11:31 AM
Yeah, I like the sound of satin black the more I think about it. Thanks Sndsgood.
Thursday, July 14, 2011 6:25 PM
sndsgood wrote:rear dash isnt bad at all, maybe an hour to pull it out. your best bet is to do it a satin black, not gloss black. gloss black is going to give you the cheap ricer look. satin black is going to make it look like black plastic that came from the factory. trust me, a much cleaner look. i origonally did the gloss black on some of my pieces, later i went over it with the flat/satin black and it looked 100x better.

yea excactly thats why I used a flat black I dont like the glossy look either but If you clear anything it will make it look shiny so just go with another coat of black rather than clearing at the end.
Thursday, July 14, 2011 7:12 PM
or get matte clear.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 9:09 PM
Awesome, Im exited. I have very limited time to work on my car with work and soccer but I make as much time as I can.

Is there a simple explanation to getting the steering wheel off? This is the last thing I need to do. I know I need to rent a puller, and does the air bag need to be removed and such? And tips on this? Some the other threads on steering wheel removal just confused me.
Friday, July 15, 2011 10:42 PM
yea u need the puller and yes the air back does come off if you are putting on a racing wheel then it will be easy as hell putting that on then your done with that. oh yea make sure fuse and battery negative is off ofcourse when your taking air bag off. lol
Friday, July 15, 2011 11:14 PM
Just got the steering wheel off and primed the lower dash. That is the first time I have ever pulled a steering wheel off, figuring out that puller was unbelievably confusing. The instructions made no sense at all.

But anyways. Black lower dash with stock graphite upper. What do you guys think of me painting that upper strip of the dash black as well? (The section nearest the windshield)
Saturday, July 16, 2011 12:39 PM
make sure you cleaned the dash pieces good. if all the cleaner and dirt and stuff wasnt cleaned off good you could have peeling issues with the paint over time.

id leave the upper strip piece to match whatever the top dash cover is going to be.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Monday, July 18, 2011 11:04 AM
sndsgood wrote:make sure you cleaned the dash pieces good. if all the cleaner and dirt and stuff wasnt cleaned off good you could have peeling issues with the paint over time.

id leave the upper strip piece to match whatever the top dash cover is going to be.

yes if it wasnt super clean and even sanded a lil bit the paint will start peeling soon and you will have to start all over, and I would also leave the strip whatever color your top dash will be.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search