How to Upholster you seats (pics) - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How to Upholster you seats (pics)
Saturday, August 06, 2011 9:22 PM
So far I have only done the back seat, bottom, but the same principles apply to every seat. I will post pics of the rest of the seats as I go. Itll take me a few weeks to do since It takes me about 4-5 hours per section (Back bottom, back top, Passeger, Driver) and I just dont have a ton of time.

First thing you need to do is take the seat off of the Foam.

This is pretty easy, since it is just stretched and slipped over some metal "clips".... You'll see when you look.

If you think you can do a seat without a pattern, Go for it, but I cant, so I take apart the cover and use each individual piece as a pattern. Get some seem rippers and go to town on it. This takes about an hour and a half just to get it all apart.

Be sure to save the mounting fabric around the bottom because you will be reusing it.

Mounting ring

Since the seat is symmetrical, I only took apart 1/2 of it since I just cut two of each and they are the same just backwards....

Alright, to get two of each and get your pattern right, Fold the cover in half and pin it. then fold your new fabric in half and pin the old cover to the new fabric so you only have to pin half the old cover and when you cut it you will get both halfs.. Make sure you dont cut the fold or you will have 2 separate pieces not 1 big one.

Cut out peice

Once you have cut all your peices, lay them out as they will go together and pin them front to front so the seam doesnt show.... (at times its a little confusing how it goes together so pay attention)

Alright, now you need to be able to sew. So sew all the pieces together!
Now do a test fit to make sure it looks like it will be good

Once that is done, take the mounting ring and pin it back on and sew it.

Now mount the cover on the foam for a final test fit.

If it looks good, peel it back and use spray adhesive to glue it into the grooves of the seat and to make sure it fits securely and doesnt bunch while someone is sitting in it.\

And here is your finished product!!!

Give me some feedback if you think something doesnt look right or I could have done something better.... Im trying to make these How to's for upholstering decent enough so someone can try to do their stuff themselves instead of paying a ridiculous amount.
These seat will cost about 150 to do yourself (Every seat in the car not just one) and you will have left over supplies.

Stay posted for more pics!!

95 Ranger 2.5T

Re: How to Upholster you seats (pics)
Sunday, August 07, 2011 2:41 PM
hard to really see in the pics. only real issues i can see is it appears there are allot of wrinkles. but again, hard to tell with the pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Sunday, August 07, 2011 3:46 PM
There was in the pics since I took it just after glueing. I have since gotten out all wrinkles. Ill be taking better pics when installed.

95 Ranger 2.5T

Monday, August 08, 2011 10:06 AM
Again, kudos dude, I've been waiting for something like this to get posted.
Monday, August 08, 2011 11:32 AM
good job

Monday, August 08, 2011 3:07 PM
Hard to see in the pics but anything is better than the horrible pattern on the stock material in the 03 Sunfires. Can't wait to get rid of that in mine.

Tuesday, August 09, 2011 4:21 AM
Thanks guys. I am really wanting to do the other seats, but the car is in michigan and I work in columbus during the week. Hopefully I can do more this weekend.

I agree. The pattern of the stock seats is terrible. Looks like it came straight from the 80's. Whoever made it should be shot.

95 Ranger 2.5T

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search