How to get a piano black finish on hard vinyl plastic. - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How to get a piano black finish on hard vinyl plastic.
Sunday, September 11, 2011 5:35 PM
I've been working on sanding down the plastic pieces that go down the posts on the front windshield. Im as far as having them sanded smooth and primered. Any tips, tricks, or general help? Could be useful.

Re: How to get a piano black finish on hard vinyl plastic.
Monday, September 12, 2011 4:18 AM
Hopefully you're using a high build primer, hit a few coats of that, then wet sand the primer smooth. I sand up to about 600 grit. Having the primer surface perfect is key for a nice smooth finish, as the painted/cleared surface will reflect and magnify any defects in the undercoat. When you lay the paint and clear, don't go overboard...2-3 coats is plenty. Too many coats of paint make it too thick and brittle. If you want, you can always wet sand your color coat as well, before laying clear.
Personally I wouldn't go too crazy as far as a glossy shine on the pillar covers, especially with black..you're going to end up with one hell of a glare in your eyes when the sun hits it.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 4:57 AM
Friday, September 16, 2011 9:43 AM
what are these parts? Do you mean the door trims?
Saturday, September 17, 2011 7:34 PM
i have my A pillars sanded and painted black. they are a nice gloss....and yes i used spray paint, and it turned out beautifully. Im pretty sure there was a how-to on here about sanding and painting interior parts

Saturday, September 17, 2011 7:35 PM
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search