New dash fit over cracked upper dash? - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New dash fit over cracked upper dash?
Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:30 PM
One of my cavy's has the usual cracked upper dash area by the windshield. Its a 2000. I have a 96 that will be scrapped soon. The dashes are different sizes since one has a double din stereo and the other a din and a half. I'd prefer to keep the double din in, so I would rather not swap the entire main dash piece. (upper and lower). I was thinking about just cutting off the upper section and laying it over the cracked one just like the aftermarket overlay. I'm wondering though if it would actually lay over it since its essentially and exact copy. Anyone ever try this before?

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Re: New dash fit over cracked upper dash?
Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:41 PM
i say give it a try.. take your dash out and trim the area by the window until you can get the 96 portion to fit.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:43 PM
Wouldnt it just be easier to buy some vinyl wrap and go over the current upper dash? (and epoxy the crack). I mean either way you have to take the upper dash out, that step is whats stopping me from doing mine that way.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:37 AM
Cracked is an understatement. Its pretty well destroyed and missing some large pieces. Unless I can give it a shape again, covering it with any type of fabric wouldn't do any good. What I'm thinking of doing would only require taking out one of the dashes (the 96). The 2000's would stay in but get covered up top... in theory at least.

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Thursday, September 29, 2011 2:16 PM
wow Leafy just made a valid point...I didnt even think about fixing my upper dash thats got a single clean crack in it..i could remove it, and use plastic cement or something semi-flexible, and repair it..instead of dropping $100 on a new one that will be covered by a dashcover anyways!

Ill wait til im ready for my gauge installations..but this is a superb idea i hadnt thought of!

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Thursday, September 29, 2011 9:53 PM
There is a company that makes replacement dash covers. They made a post on here a few years back. I'd post a link but I'm on my cell hpone right now on my lunch break. I'm sure if you google cavalier dash pad crack cover you'll find it.

Thursday, September 29, 2011 10:19 PM
Here's one.
Friday, September 30, 2011 6:25 AM
binzer wrote:Here's one.

Thats the place I was talking about but didn't realize it was $140. Might be worth the time to swap dashes to save the cashola

Friday, September 30, 2011 12:01 PM
JUCNBST wrote:There is a company that makes replacement dash covers. They made a post on here a few years back. I'd post a link but I'm on my cell hpone right now on my lunch break. I'm sure if you google cavalier dash pad crack cover you'll find it.

Thanks, but I know... see my original post...
I was wondering if a stock one cut off the rest of the dash would fit over an existing cracked one. No sense in buying a $100+ cover when I have an entire spare dash.

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Sunday, October 02, 2011 11:16 AM
Just give it a try Matt..
Is the 96 your vert? Haven't seen anything from you in a while.

Sunday, October 02, 2011 11:57 AM
damn, i never thought of that before... thats an excellent idea, i see no reason why it wont work.

Sunday, October 02, 2011 5:52 PM
Yeah, the 96 is my vert you remember. I haven't touched the car in about 7 years and the bug finally bit me again, so I'm back at it

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search