03 steering wheel/airbag removal - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
03 steering wheel/airbag removal
Tuesday, October 11, 2011 5:07 PM
Looking to remove my steering wheel out of my 03 cav.

What are the proper steps to get this thing removed safely.

I read somewhere on here about the bag being held on with clips? how do those work?

I have a puller so im good there. thanks..Phil

Re: 03 steering wheel/airbag removal
Tuesday, October 11, 2011 5:47 PM
I'm curious as well.

Need to replace my clock spring so my horn works right....

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 5:55 AM
Wednesday, October 12, 2011 9:18 AM
Thanks...

Now what about the actual wheel bag removal. I read about some clips or something and that they don't un bolt like the previous years.
Wednesday, October 12, 2011 9:29 AM
been quite a few years since I removed mine, but I don't recall any clips holding anything in. if anything possibly a C-clip after you get the bag off that can be pulled off with a flat head screw driver. Then just pull the wheel with the wheel puller.

Again, I did mine in 2004 so i could be missing something but I don;t remember any special clips.

Mine was an 03

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 11:20 AM
Yah mines a early early 03.

I read a post with you and Lenko going back and forth about the removal. But no decisive awnser was made.
Wednesday, October 12, 2011 1:04 PM
any chance you have a link to that post? Maybe reading it will jar my memory.

Thursday, October 13, 2011 2:11 AM
straight from the manual...
disabling zone 3 of SIR system:

1.Turn the steering wheel so that the vehicle's wheels are pointing straight ahead.
2.Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
3.Remove the key from the ignition switch.
4.Remove the LH IP outer trim cover. (fuse box on the left side of the dash)
5.Remove the AIR BAG Fuse from the LH IP wiring harness junction block.

there's a yellow connector near the OBD2 connection port. disconnect that, and the airbag in the steering wheel is disabled and safe for removal.

to get the airbag out:
there are 2 spring bars that grab the 4 posts of the airbag on the 03-05 steering wheel.

this is a picture of the springbar on one side

here is a look at the airbag minus the inflator module. you can see the 4 posts clearly here.

here is what it looks like from the inside with the spring bars grabbing the airbag posts (normally you cannot see this)

on the backside of the wheel are 4 access holes that allow you to pry the springbars away from the posts and free one side of the airbag at a time (left, then right). You can see them as the holes on the far left and far right of the wheel here (you can also barely see the springbar inside)

both posts on a side need to be moved at the same time in order to free the airbag. the manual calls for the wheel to be turned 90* in order to access the holes on either side (turn 90* to the left to access the holes on the right side of the wheel. turn 90* to the right to access the holes on the left side of the wheel)

what you want to do is use a small flat piece of something (metal or small thin screwdrivers) to pry the bars away and free one side of the airbag at a time. You want to pry the bars towards the CENTER of the wheel.

its actually really simple assuming you have something small enough to fit inside the access holes.

once you get the airbag off, there's a 19mm or 21mm nut that holds the steeringwheel on the steeringshaft. Loosen that. Push then twist the red wire with the spring/ white clip in order to disconnect it from the column (this is the positive feed for the horn). Then use the puller or pull like hell on the steering wheel to get it off (keeping it as straight as possible makes this much easier, but is tough to do).

If you want to remove the clockspring, you will need snap-ring pliers to expand the snapring.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Thursday, October 13, 2011 2:18 AM

Thursday, October 13, 2011 6:37 AM
Awesome PJ...

Cant get any more clear cut then that.

Thank you.

Now lets hope my splines are the early style!
Tuesday, August 27, 2013 7:07 AM
trying to find a single source for this, so I want to bring this back since its got PJ's awesome write up in it.
I have an 04. I have a nice wheel I bought months ago. But Im having a hard time finding a hub (and quick release) for my car, all seem to be pre 03 or I remember reading that some 03 were like the older steering columns.
Is it basically two options for us 03-05 jbody guys?
A. swap steering columns with an older Jbody (95-02/early 03) (what all needs replacing
B. spend the hundreds on the hub adapter

I would still have functionality of the passenger airbag too, but once you do this to the driver side (removing the fuse), will you have a CEL that has to be turned off?

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search