Dome light flickers when driving - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Dome light flickers when driving
Sunday, November 20, 2011 10:00 AM
Okay, so I "THINK" this started after I did the DRL mod to put my HID's in. But Well when Im driving (notice it at night, prob during the day too though), that it will flicker on randomly. I checked all my wiring and nothing seems to be touching or shorting.
But it will flicker on, and fade off slowly, it doesnt just turn on and off. I rolled the dimmer switch back to make sure i wasnt somehow getting it to do it from hard acceleration, but last night I noticed it will do it just when driving too.

Anyone ever have this problem? it annoyed me so bad last night I just pulled the bulb out, so now I have no interior lighting.. thanks for any help!!

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.

Re: Dome light flickers when driving
Monday, November 21, 2011 1:25 AM
sounds like a bad door jamb switch to me.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Monday, November 21, 2011 3:48 AM
Tape a penny to the door where the switch hits.

Monday, November 21, 2011 8:55 AM
I had a issue like this on my old 92 Cavy,It turned out to be the mercury switch which used to hang on the trunk lid arms..

But in your case could be a bad door pin switch.
Sunday, December 18, 2011 8:18 PM
Are your keys heavy? Try this:

Get in your car, close the doors and lock it. Start the car. Wait a minute. Then try pulling your keys (the group of keys attached to it as well) out quickly. Then push it back in.

Did that repeat what you've experienced? If so, just minimize the weight of your keys or replace the ignition cylinder. Good luck.

For reference:
Dome light turn by itself

--------------------------
NCR-SCCA
Tuesday, December 20, 2011 9:20 PM
My sister's 99 cavy does this. I usually just jiggle the keys in the ignition and then the dome light goes out. Not really a fix, but I'm not sure what's causing it if jigging the keys in the ignition fixes it.

Wednesday, January 04, 2012 11:45 AM
What Chelotus said. The keys are either too heavy or your ignition switch is going bad. I found out the hard way after ignoring my dome light warnings. =(

2001 Cav Sedan LS - Work In Progress - Sunalier Status
Sunday, January 22, 2012 8:38 PM
Well the bulb is out, so its not doing it anymore...
But I think it was getting progressively worse, and it does seem to happen while accelerating, so that could dictate the movement of the keys. Never thought of that or the door jam. Ill check it out. Thanks for the input guys! I do find out off and on the light is somewhat handy

Monday, January 23, 2012 9:36 PM
Chelotus and Alcolawl are both correct.
I was heading home from Target today after work, and remembered you guys suggesting the key thing.
I put the bulb in, and started the car. light turned on and works great. sat there for a bit and nothing, but as soon as i grab the keys and wiggle them in the ignition a little, pushing forward and pulling backward, the light flickered on. it was 100% consistant with doing it, as id randomly time when i did it.

hopefully its not something ill need to really replace, but if so, i wanted to upgrade to a new steering wheel at some point anyways

thanks for the help guys, i didnt even think to wiggle the keys! and the door jam was my next attempt but now i dont need to bother trying that!!

Friday, January 27, 2012 9:42 AM
i just want to update...its still for sure, the ignition and the keys.

but what I found to be more accurate, is when the keys are pushed in all the way, nothing happens. If the keys slightly come out (like you're trying to remove them), thats when they come on..tested 100% to be true.
so if I push the keys in all the way when I start it, they dont ever realy flicker. I must just be lazy sometimes and barely put them in and then they are able to move some.

but great suggestions and now i can have a light again without worrying why!!!

Monday, January 30, 2012 8:33 AM
One thing that started happening to me, was every time I hit a bad bump in the road, my dome light would flicker on, then fade back off. Thought it might be the keys - no. Thought it was a door jam - nope.
What was happening was since I had my cluster lights set to the brightest possible (spinning the little wheel all the way up almost to the point the interior lights come on), when my car was jolted from the bump, it would actually cause whatever contact in that little wheel to turn my interior lights on like I was manually doing it. I turned the wheel down ever-so-slightly, and it stopped.
But if you figured it out already, awesome. Just something to keep in mind

Monday, January 30, 2012 8:12 PM
you know i have had this issue ever since i got this little keychain light energizer, but it is pretty heavy... problem is getting progressively worse... I would bet money on it being that heavy keychain! thanks so much for posting this guys, i was just on browsing when i found this!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search