Help Identify These 1997 Sunfire Dash Parts - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Help Identify These 1997 Sunfire Dash Parts
Friday, December 02, 2011 8:18 AM
Removed my complete dash, right down to the firewall, a couple of years ago and just got around to putting it back in. Have it all installed and then discovered I have 2 pieces left over. I just hate it when that happens!
Anyway, the 2 parts have the 8-digit GM format stamped into them. The black plastic cover is in the GM database, #22645566, even though it is "unavailable". The dealer claims it shows up as going on the drivers side dash but he can't determine where. It only has marks of 1 screw attachment but has 2 locating pins. Any ideas?
The other piece is a bare metal bracket of some sort with #31-5-25473 stamped into it. I'm guessing this is internal to the dash since it doesn't have a painted finish. Possibly a stiffener behind plastic parts? Maybe something around the glove box latch? Any ideas?
Thanks
(I'd post pics but don't have URLs, just jpegs on my PC)

Re: Help Identify These 1997 Sunfire Dash Parts
Friday, December 02, 2011 8:56 AM
Pix would help tremendously.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Friday, December 02, 2011 12:20 PM
is the plastic peice the one that goes under the dash and covers the metal bracket for the brake pedal? i broke mine so i took it off, you cant see it anyways but its up under the dash, one mounting screw...
Saturday, December 03, 2011 9:30 AM
The driver side only has two "loose" black pieces. The bottom piece that Cody is talking about. It's fairly large in size. And the side piece that covers the fuse box. It's held on by one screw and Velcro (at least mine is).

If I remember correctly there are only a few metal pieces in the dash. The glove box latch and the metal piece that is on it? The piece that goes across the glove box (But this piece is painted) and there's a bracket that sits behind the radio, but the numbers I have printed on that piece are 31-5-25455.

If you can get pictures I can probably tell you in a second what the pieces are.

2001 Cav Sedan LS - Work In Progress - Sunalier Status
Wednesday, December 07, 2011 8:16 PM
Linkin wrote:The driver side only has two "loose" black pieces. The bottom piece that Cody is talking about. It's fairly large in size. And the side piece that covers the fuse box. It's held on by one screw and Velcro (at least mine is).

If I remember correctly there are only a few metal pieces in the dash. The glove box latch and the metal piece that is on it? The piece that goes across the glove box (But this piece is painted) and there's a bracket that sits behind the radio, but the numbers I have printed on that piece are 31-5-25455.

If you can get pictures I can probably tell you in a second what the pieces are.

Turns out the plastic cover is Item #38 on this diagram, and is attached by just one screw:

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=2979184&ukey_assembly=385239

If your bracket 31-5-25455 sits behind the radio, I'm guessing mine should also. The numbers stamped on them are just to close to be anything else. That must mean the center mounting recess on the rear of the radio must sit over this bracket to give some support to the weight of the radio hanging off the two front panel screws?
Monday, January 09, 2012 8:15 AM
I would assume that's what the bracket is for. I currently don't have my radio where it should be so my bracket is just laying around the garage. It kinda just fell off the frame once the radio was out.

2001 Cav Sedan LS - Work In Progress - Sunalier Status
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search