Good seat choices - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Good seat choices
Monday, April 02, 2012 10:30 PM
Just a quick question to everyone:

I've recently purchased some seats from Cipher auto. Although I've tried as hard as I can, they SIMPLY ARE NOT compatible with J-bodies.

The provided brackets are simply MUCH too tall. And the slider positions severely restrict how low to mount it.

With that said, any good replica seats out there? Payinf a G for a recaro/Sparco/Bride is simply NOT in my budget.

I'm looking at something I can bang together for $500 or less.

please advise!

Re: Good seat choices
Tuesday, April 03, 2012 2:12 AM
fab them yourself, or find someone who can.

I bought corbeau seats and the brackets they came with moved the seats way too far forward. I paid over a grand total for the seats, sliders, and 5 point harnesses.

I sacrificed the sliders and made fixed brackets at my job.

When I retro'd cobalt SS seats into my other car, I also ended up fabbing brackets and also having to modify the inner seat rail on both sides in order to get them to fit the j-body.

fabbing yourself really is the best bet if you know what you're doing.... pre-fabbed brackets always seem to fit like crap, bump the seat up too high or too far forward, and are too expensive.

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 8:53 AM
Yeah...I took measurements last night, and found that the bracket-to-floor mounting point and bracket-to-seat mounting points are right on top of each other, making it IMPOSSIBLE to mount the seat further back AND have it stay low (Sigh).

I'm looking to see if there are any other seats that have them mounted a little closer together (About 1.5 inches in on both sides)

I can't afford $1000 for a seat. Unfortunately not an option at this time. =(
Tuesday, April 03, 2012 2:51 PM
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) v2.0 wrote:
fabbing yourself really is the best bet if you know what you're doing.... pre-fabbed brackets always seem to fit like crap, bump the seat up too high or too far forward, and are too expensive.

this.

I want to say mine are the Wedge brackets/sliders and they made the seat way too close, i ended up making my own adapters to move the seat back a couple extra inches

Eat my shift
Tuesday, April 03, 2012 3:22 PM
M2 wrote:
this.

I want to say mine are the Wedge brackets/sliders and they made the seat way too close, i ended up making my own adapters to move the seat back a couple extra inches

who is this clown????

everyone i have known, has ended up making their own.

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 4:57 PM
I am? LOL

well, For me to return everything, I'd have to drive an hour back to the states and return it there. And I won't even be compensated duty charges.

So I'm looking for a solution before resorting to returning the seats. -SIIIIIIGH-

I was thinking, If i bolted a piece of high strength steel from the left to right slider mount points, and have the sliders mount closer to the middle (about 1 inch closer to center from original points), then it will give me the space to fab my own brackets.

BUT, would it be UNSAFE.
Tuesday, April 03, 2012 9:04 PM
Hopefully this can help you, I wrote this over 2 years ago to help somebody else:

It's time to fabricate seat brackets. They are basically made of:

4 Pieces of hardened 1/2" angle iron. ($12 for one 3 foot piece)
2 pieces of hardened 1/2" flat bar. ($8 for one 3 foot piece)

Both of those are steel, btw. Not aluminum.

Then I used assorted grade 7 bolts, washers and nylon lock nuts. That was another $12 or so in hardware.

I basically set the front bar up in a Z and the rear bar in a "U", this lets me mount the seat brackets as far back as possible. Then you cut your flat bar and lay it across where the rails will go, fasten down, and then fasten your rails to the bar - I set the rear rail bolt over the "u" bracket this way one bolt went all the way through 2 pieces of steel. The only way you could make these stronger would be to weld them.

All you have to do now is take them back to the car, fit them to the floor to square them up, tighten them up, test against the seat for fitment, then paint and install.

THIS is how you take your time and do it right. $80 for seat brackets sounds like a lot until you realize they could save your life. Then it sounds like a bargain.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Wednesday, April 04, 2012 8:58 AM
thank you for the recommendation. Question, Sweetness: I'm assuming where the rails are bolted to at the rear of the bracket, it's just a bit aft of where the bracket bolts to the seat? My biggest issue has been getting the brackets low enough, and not have the rail bolt and bracket bolts interfering with each other.

Other question as well: Are J body floors really flat? I noticed the Wedge brackets I have are a little offset from left and right=p

ALSO, (Sorry, last question), any tips on making the seat brackets go at a decline?

Thanks!
Wednesday, April 04, 2012 8:59 AM
And Sweetness, how tall were your brackets?
Wednesday, April 04, 2012 10:35 AM
I too bought some cipher seats. Trying to get some time to fab up brackets as the ones they sold were crap. Interested to see how this turns out.
Wednesday, April 04, 2012 7:46 PM
The brackets are the height of the angle iron as you can see.

The front bracket is a Z facing the rear of the car and the rear bracket is a U facing the rear of the car - this is to sit the sliders as far back as possible - I have done this setup on 3 cars with 3 different kinds of aftermarket seats and it works well.

The floor where the brackets will bolt down is flat but between that - no. Also you have to factor in for the tunnel that runs up the middle which is why the brackets are slightly offset front to back. When you get your seat out and get out a measuring tape you will see what I'm talking about.

Why would you setup the brackets in a decline?

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...

Thursday, April 05, 2012 1:22 AM
^ usual OEM seats sit in that position, as in the J bodies. I hope to so I can have the low seating position but have a bit more thigh support up front (i'm taller guy).

I'm very interested in your setup. Think I can call you up to ask for some info?

Also, given your current setup, do the seats go back as far as stock?
Thursday, April 05, 2012 1:33 AM
I'm literally looking to see if I can have the seats sit at stock height/position

Yours so far has been the one that seems to work.
Sunday, May 20, 2012 11:49 AM
I have these seats in my cav with low-pro brackets that i've welded up at work. they come with sliders and they are solid! very comfortable the side bolsters are perfect, exactly what i was looking for. i know what most of you are thinking... "for that price they must be cheap" absolutely not true, they are solid and the adjustment feature is infinite. he ships these out of Maryland and i got mine the day after i ordered them, granted i live in Virginia Beach! worth the money!!!
i got mine in all black.
http://madracingconcepts.com/Seats/seats.htm
Wednesday, May 23, 2012 8:42 AM
EvoFire wrote:
M2 wrote:
this.

who is this clown????

everyone i have known, has ended up making their own.

Bout to make another set starting next week haha.

I adapted my stock sliders and brackets the first time around...not the best way at all to do it...they're solid though. This time it'll be all bent 3/16" x 1.5" barstock. And for anyone looking, AndysAutoSport has the Cipher seats for $250, and BodyKits4Me.com has them for $295 shipped. From the people I've talked to so far, they are supposed to be extremely well...better than tenzos or any ebay brand. The other brand that is really good that I've heard a lot about (and sat in) in ProCar.
Tuesday, June 12, 2012 2:06 PM
i just got some matrix type-x seats and im going to try and make these brackets they look the best out of all the ones ive looked at. my only question is what did you do with the driver side seat belt where is clicks in?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search