Shifter bushings '05 Cav. 5 speed - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Shifter bushings '05 Cav. 5 speed
Friday, August 10, 2012 2:55 PM
I have a 2005 Chevy Cavalier with 150K miles on the stock shifter. It has sloppy movement in it. It still shifts OK but is sloppy feeling. I took the console off and removed the shift lever and noticed the white plastic (urethane - whatever) bushing that cups the ball on the lever is worn and white powder on the carpet under and on the shifter from the bushing. Some of the rubber o-rings are split also. Im sure I can find the o-rings at a hardware store but I have been searching for weeks to try and find the white cup bushing.

Chevy only sells the whole shifter for about $200.

Does anyone know where I can get just the bushing or if it is included with a short shifter?

Any other suggestions for tightening up the shifter would be welcome. I know motor mounts would help but I have not replace mine.

Re: Shifter bushings '05 Cav. 5 speed
Friday, August 10, 2012 3:06 PM
If you are talking about the plastic cup that is on the side to side lever, then yes, most aftermarket short shifters include that piece. From the factory there are 3 o-rings on the shifter box, a lower one that sits below the gray plastic cup that surrounds the shifter pivot ball, an upper o-ring that sits above the cup, but below the ring that snaps into place, and a smaller one that goes towards the bottom of the shifter shaft near where the front to rear cable snaps into place.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Friday, August 10, 2012 3:51 PM
Nope. Thats not it. I see in the pix of the aftermarket shifters the cup you are talking about on the arm coming off the driver side. The one I need is the big one the main ball sits in. I'll take pix when I take it apart again.
Friday, August 10, 2012 5:24 PM
In that case, you will have to get a complete shifter assembly. I was lucky and found a brand new one on eBay a couple months ago for $50.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search