how to install stock sunroof? - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
how to install stock sunroof?
Monday, October 08, 2012 7:28 PM
i haunt found a how to on this but iv herd people doubt it, i was thinking that what i would do is weld the stock sunroof roof support on to my car then start cutting the whole in the roof, i figure that if the brace holds the other car together why not me? any comments would help, thanks!!

Re: how to install stock sunroof?
Monday, October 08, 2012 9:20 PM
You dont weld the sunroof assembly in. get the screws and clips from your donor. How i did it was put the sunroof assembly in, cut from the inside a hole about the size of the track. then on the outside cut another ring about 2" bigger so you can screw the glass in place. then trim up your donor roof sheet metal and place it over the glass with the seal on how it should sit from the factory. mark up your existing roof for your cuts then cut and trim so you can hold the sunroof sheet metal flush with existing sheet metal. Weld in place and do all the finish work and youre set. its really not to hard if you know what you are doing. If you have ever done real body work, like replacing a quarter panel, it should be a breeze.
Monday, October 08, 2012 9:24 PM
Sounds easy, but what I meant when I said welding was the supports on the roof, didn't they put extra support on the roof of the car with the sunroof, and could you post some pics?
Tuesday, October 09, 2012 6:06 PM
Or just swap the entier roof skin from a car with sunroof.. no cutting, no fitting, just swap the skins, wire it up and throw in the headliner.

Have a nice day.
Tuesday, October 09, 2012 6:33 PM
I don't know what you mean by the skin? And how is that possible?
Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:08 PM
the roof, is physically separate part of the body, its added onto the unibody just like the fenders, quarters and etc.. if you pull the headliner down you should be able to see its just spot welded and sealed in. you can remove your non sunroof skin, and then replace with the factory sunroof skin. Its been done several times before, I know i saw it in (I think) one of fetters build threads, but he was swapping out the sunroof for a non sunroof skin because of weight savings. It may very well be easier to do that than mess with fitting and tracing, cutting and etc..

Have a nice day.
Thursday, October 11, 2012 2:59 AM
If you go to install any sunroof other than the one that came stock, id go with a Webasto... Pulling a prone to leak sunroof from a car that GM made would just be asking for trouble and leaks.

Thursday, October 11, 2012 5:24 AM
Ok changing the skin sounds better then haha, did your friend re-in force the car in anyway before doing that?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search