Disabling AC on defroster? - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Disabling AC on defroster?
Friday, January 03, 2014 7:56 PM
Is there a way where the AC WONT come one when you turn it all the way to the defroster? I think it's utterly useless anytime of the year, and I don't want the AC and heat the same time, my mileage would suffer. Is there a way where it stays off until I manually turn on by the AC button? The way it is now, the AC stays on the defroster, no matter how you press the button.

Re: Disabling AC on defroster?
Friday, January 03, 2014 9:47 PM
It's designed to run that way as the A/c removes moisture from the air allowing the window to defrost/defog more quickly.

Friday, January 03, 2014 9:57 PM
My mileage suffers already (21 MPG highway) here in -7* weather, so I don't want the AC to hurt it more, just want a way to turn it off temporary at least until spring..
Saturday, January 04, 2014 8:17 AM
A/C delete, pull the A/C fuse or disconnect compressor connector?, Or use just floor/defrost selector, thats what I use and if windows are bad enough that I need a quick defrost, full defrost and the A/C will help pull moisture out of air and also puts a load on engine so it should warm up faster.... I know on a beater neon I had, a/c will come on when defrost or floor/defrost was selected, talk about losing performance.... car would drop down to almost 500rpm and almost stall then rev up to like 1500+. I disabled it on that car, there was an how to, on the HVAC control board, there was a metal point that you scratch off and then only time A/C goes on is when you turn it on. May be something similar on the Jbodys but I don't know. 99% of the time in winter I use defrost/floor.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Saturday, January 04, 2014 9:10 AM
That's what I use also, but there's alot of time where's there's ice and it takes a while to melt it because the defroster isn't on full blast, just half because the other half is shooting to the floor.
Sunday, January 05, 2014 8:12 PM
its im portant to keep the system active over the winter , keeps the oil cirulated.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search