Buttonless automatic shift knob? - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Buttonless automatic shift knob?
Sunday, August 10, 2014 7:22 PM
I know that some auto cars don't need a button to shift out of gears, but I was wondering if I could do something that I could like, push down on the shift knob to shift in and out of gear? I have a 97 sunfire sedanwith a 2.2 and the 3 speed hydramatic.
Thanks,
Mikeyy

Re: Buttonless automatic shift knob?
Sunday, August 10, 2014 7:47 PM
I just read about the razo quick shift. Does anyone know if that would work in my sunfire?
Monday, November 24, 2014 2:29 PM
Might be a little late, but looking at it, looks like it will work. I mean it does say that it "exclusively designed for Hondas and Mitsubishis with A/T", But doesn't seem like it's too picky. It goes in place of the old one so I don't think theres much to worry about there. Might be best to ask the manufacturer though for a fitment guide. I could be wrong but the A/T version of our cars don't have Overdrive, which they said it won't work with.

I need an adultier adult.
Tuesday, November 25, 2014 6:18 AM
The button lock mechanism on the stock shifter can be modified to allow for buttonless shifting.

When I had my auto I shortened the shifter and accidentailly broke the plastic button arm in the shaft when i was trying to shorten it. That forced me to disable the locking mechanism.

Not complicated and required no special parts.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Wednesday, July 29, 2015 8:56 PM
Matt Linke wrote:The button lock mechanism on the stock shifter can be modified to allow for buttonless shifting.

When I had my auto I shortened the shifter and accidentailly broke the plastic button arm in the shaft when i was trying to shorten it. That forced me to disable the locking mechanism.

Not complicated and required no special parts.

Reviving this thread a bit, but care to explain on how you disabled it? Instead of just saying its possible?
Thursday, July 30, 2015 5:25 AM
My first attempt was tapping the center of the shaft for a machine screw and using that to drive down the button

When I redid it I decided that I wanted it to be cleaner and I don't remember what I did but it involved shifter removal

Take it apart, look at how the button works to lock it and remove that part. Not complex. I do remember getting a spare from a junkyard to do it with just in case though.

This was all like 9-10 years ago now. That seems like forever

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Thursday, July 30, 2015 7:41 AM
Alright thanks man! I'm actually going to give this a shot today. I'm going to use a dremel with a metal cutter. It's small and precise so I'm thinking it wont be too difficult to cut the shifter stem while leaving the center rod intact.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search