air conditioning - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
air conditioning
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 8:49 PM
i remmeber seeing someone post something like this back in the day, but i t cant seem to be able to find it.

Is there a way that i can control the a/c compressor. i hate that when i turn on the front defroster that the sir conditioner turns on also. Also, i hate when i turn on the recirculate (for those that live in so cal, driving through chino, for those that dont, it smells of cow sh!t) the a/c turns on.

Can the tech II reprogram it so i can control the a/c compressor? Is there another way to do it? I hate driving out the college running the defroster and a/c compressor and waisting gas.

2004 Cavalier, 2.2L Ecotec
1965 El Camino, 396 BBC, 14:1, 800 BHP

Re: air conditioning
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 8:11 AM
Tap into the fuse (Under hood) and wire a switch to it. Done and DONE!

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 12:48 PM
that sounds like a good idea. Anyone know about the tech II. If i dont hear anything better, im doing the fuse thing.

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 6:06 PM
You don't even have to wire up a switch to the fuse block. You can just pull the A/C Fuse and leave it like that... Just keep the fuse incase it is a HOT-AS-HELL day outside... that way, you can just pop the hood and slap the fuse back in there. Quick, inexpensive and easy!

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 8:12 PM
Do you know why the AC turns on when you turn the front defroster on? Because it "conditions" the air so that it doesnt keep fogging up. Its more of a safety thing. plus from what my brother learned at UTI, your AC only steals power and energy for i think it was 20 seconds. after that, everything is back to normal operation. You wont really gain much from eliminating it. and if you notice you can turn your temp dial to red with the AC on and you get hot air.

Thursday, February 24, 2005 12:18 AM
ya but when the ac compressor kicks on in a COLD car its almost bogged my engine at idle to the point of killing the car a few times, not to mention when i'm driving 75 down the highway passing someone and my window starts to fog over so i kick on the defroster and it bogs my car hardcore, i'd prefer control over this feature, what exactly is the compressor conditioning Vincent? and according to myth busters, who i trust alot more than a room full of over paid technicians anyday because their tests are REAL WORLD, not note books and paper theories, running your a/c compressor drags your engine down noticably, decreasing available power, consuming more gas and electrical draw to engage the clutch in the compressor unit, so explain where the 20 second theory comes in? on a warm day i'll take my chances with the window, if its real hot then i'll kick on my a/c but unless i got sweat rolling down my face so bad i cant see i dont feel the need for the a/c, if i just want to blow some air thru the car why should i allow this parasite of a device to suck my gas and electrical output from the system when i dont need it? if you really want to get technical with this mod, get you a good 12v switch thats rated for decent amp draw to be safe, find the pin on the relay that is the turn on for the compressors clutch, unwire that wire run the incoming voltage to a switch and the other side of the switch to the relay, now you control the relay 100% of the time no longer does your ac have a mind of its own, and with the handy little green button left over, wire that to arm nitrous or some other function, stealth all the way lol.

J~
Thursday, February 24, 2005 6:48 AM
^^^ AAAAAAAAAH MY EYES!!!!

In the future, please use proper sentences! Thanks!

Thursday, February 24, 2005 9:03 AM
I would imagine, that with the AC on, it's "dryer" air hitting the front windshield, which lets the moisture on the window dry off faster as well. that's about my only input )(and yes, I notice a difference when I turn mine on/off going up a hill)

Brakes? I don't need no stinking brakes....I have air bags
http://members.cardomain.com/charlzo_2000
Thursday, February 24, 2005 9:22 AM
Screw it, I just got rid of my a/c yesterday.
Bought a GM pulley to eliminate it.
For a 2.4L engine it is P/N 24574519, cost me 75.68 with tax.
You get about 19 pounds less weight from removing it.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, March 03, 2005 7:50 PM
when you live in so cal you want the a/c at a seconds notice. Something bout 125 degrees cars thats kinda painful...

can i hear more about the relay thing. does anyone know what wires and where. If no one has done this, ill make sure to get pics and write up and explanation.

Thursday, March 03, 2005 8:38 PM
i notice a difference , but its no way near as extreme as you make it. sure it robs some power and gas, but are you going to live uncomfortably hot in your car over a doller of wasted gas? if thats the case, stop watching tv, the electricity bill is going to come in a couple buckers higher. hell, what are you doing online? wasting dollers man. DONT DRINK THAT ORANGE JUICE, 79 CENTS RIGHT THERE

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search