Where would you mold 2 PDA's in a cavi.. ? - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Where would you mold 2 PDA's in a cavi.. ?
Friday, March 18, 2005 3:44 PM
Well guys i was hoping not to post until i was finished w/ my interior but i am having alot of trouble with coming up with an idea to put my 2 PDA's. I have added speaker pods to the doors molded the PS2 in the dash (below passenger side airbag cover) molded a 7" liliput screen above the cd player and i now have 2 pda's to put somewhere....i invested about a grand in these overall one functions as a "systems" monitor that reads through the OBD II sensor ... and and the one has a bulky attachment at the top of it (roughly 2 inches tall) because it is the GPS sensor... .SURPRISE !!! anyways now that i've posted whats been done thus far..back to my dilemma ... These pdas need to be accessible to the driver and hopefully not stick out like a sore thumb......I dont necessarily need to mold them into the cradles as i can wire them to power and sync and such w/o ... i'd really like to think of a way to make the gps sensor that HAS to stick out of the top of pda unobvious... i have an external antenna for the techies that see the flaw in covering the GPS sensor... ...my only idea so far is possibly in the visor..but i was hoping for other ideas.... I also had the idea cutting the center console and trying to angle them below the radio..but thats not feasible..for ease of use..... and viewing angle isnt the best either (i've tried test fitting here w/ the console out and the dash in place just to check... so .. this is as far as i've come...i've got a real lack of ideas other then the center of the steering wheel LOL ...kidding.. .. Thanks for any input..

Re: Where would you mold 2 PDA's in a cavi.. ?
Monday, March 21, 2005 7:44 AM
well, I've got to say, I'm impressed with the idea of your project...

I can't offer any hard advice, since I'm having a hard time visualizing what all you've got going on. It'd help out a lot if you just took some quick pics. I'm also unsure of why you need two PDA's. I'm in the middle of a similar project, but I'm putting a 'full' computer in there with an in dash screen. I'd love to give some advice, but I think I'd need to see some pics first.

Oh, and one more idea I had about the GPS...you may be able to hack the GPS attatchment and lengthen the wire so it no longer sits on top of the PDA...this way you don't have to worry about the extra bulk. Good Luck!
Monday, March 21, 2005 9:20 AM
mold them into the dash at an angle above the cd player.

Monday, March 21, 2005 12:10 PM
I cant snap pics right now i dont have a worknig digicam ...i'm kicking myself in the butt 2 cuz i wanted progress picz... anyways ... my first setup did include a laptop..not molded but stand and resting above the shifter...it was makeshift but it worked..the pdas come into play bacause they are small and do the same thing (actually better than the laptop for the obd2 programs) and well i have already invested so much into them i cant bear the thought of not making them work...

spork2021 .. as to your suggestion..thats exactly how i had them to begin with... but a screen there looks so much prettier....

My current idea for the pdas now is to build a box for them..and then build a bar to come up from the floor and hold the box i created (this is going to be a slimmer box nothing outrageously boxy and it will be glassed also) ... in a position thats easily accessed from the driver side..probably somewhere putting the pdas angled towards the driver and about 2-3 inches away from 5th gear on passenger side.... then cover the bar i made probably out of black iron pipe since its handy to work w/ angles and i have alot of w/ a piece of pool hose... sounds corny but i have some pretty blue/black pool hose that should match nicely ... and then that gives me a way of slippign all the wires through the center of the pipe for a no wire look ... .... atleast thats how i dreamed it... !! if anybody thinks this is a bad idea or has a better idea i'm all ears i havent started on building my pda box yet ive been working on finishing up the door panels until i'm SURE of my pda idea.. .....boy how a sketch would help visualize what i'm thinking..
Monday, March 21, 2005 4:53 PM
mold them into the cover of your steering wheel then they are at a good veiwing position where they won't take your eyes off the road or the track. this could e done a stock 95-99 steering wheel fairly decently

Monday, March 21, 2005 5:59 PM
i have a question were can i find a progam to run off the obdII port for my pda i have a plam m130 also anyone know where i can find a cable thats goes from monitor out to rca so i can possibly hook my laptop up to a 7" screen in my dash????

sorry for thread jacking but im in the sam boat....

!!!jbody Customs!!! yo hit me up if you need anything!
streetfire2006
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 7:55 AM

cavwhat

cavwhat@yahoo.com

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search