Rear Defroster - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rear Defroster
Monday, December 19, 2005 3:30 PM
Alright, this one is weird. My car is an 05, and everythign has been working good. he winter months are here so I've been using my heater and defrosters more often. Well, yesterday when I was warming up my car, I put on my rear defroster and went intside. I came out, all was well, I went out, left, etc. Well, later that night I noticed my window was getting a tad foggy so I went to put on the rear defroster and alas, it doesn't work. The little light doesn't even come on when I push the button. It doesn't feel like the button is stuck, and you hear a click when you push it, but it no longer works. No light saying its no, and the defroster doesn't do anything either. I checked the fuse out, and it doesn't look burnt or anything, so I'm assuming its not that.

Any ideas as to what it could be and if I could fix it myself? My dealership wants me to leave my car overnight to work on it and I can't exactly afford having no car for however long they want to take.

Re: Rear Defroster
Monday, December 19, 2005 4:06 PM
did you just look at the fuse or did you pull it out. it doesn't always just look burnt. the little metal piece snaps but doesn't always leave a burned mark on it.

GO PATS!!!
Monday, December 19, 2005 4:48 PM
Lookie in the driverside foor well, right behind the trim where the hood push handle is. There is a bright green connector, there. With the car off, pull that connector apart.

Is there a burned out terminal on either side?

If so thats the power for your rear defroster. To fix, lookie here:

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=11&i=97396&t=97396

Sorry i stopped hosting a few pics. But nonetheless, Its an easy fix. Use a pair of wire taps, costs about $1.99 for a 10 pack. Tap the big black wire from and the brown wire on the other side of the connector, and use say a 12 awg, or 10 awg wire for the wire between taps.

Simple fix.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 7:57 AM
I hate to ask, but you could you e-mail me the pics or something of the wires and how to tap them? Finding them won't be an issue as I know where you are talking about, but I've never used a wire tap like you said. Just want to make sure I don't mess it up, lol
Tuesday, December 20, 2005 8:12 AM
Sure, No problem, Give me a few hours, to get Clear pics and ill contact you.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 8:18 AM
Kick ass, thanks a bunch
Tuesday, December 20, 2005 12:40 PM
Sorry for the wait, ill have pics in about 20 mins, I had to put that harness back in my car so you know exactly what to do.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 1:31 PM
Eh, no worries. I've been at work so I couldn't mess with it anyways, LOL
Tuesday, December 20, 2005 7:53 PM
You got mail.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 7:46 AM
So let me get this right. All there is to this fix to to basically connect, or "tap" the black wire, to the brown wire, and thats it? Doesn't sound that hard? Do I have to disconnect the battery or anything?
Wednesday, December 21, 2005 9:01 AM
Yup you got ti right. You dont need to disconnect the battery cause you dont actually touch the inner part of the wire. However make sure the car is off, when you do it.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 10:24 AM
Hell, this sounds like a breeze, I'll stop by Pep boys on the way home and snag what I need, lol. So (2) wire taps, and that wire. You mentioned 10-15 gauge. Does it really matter which? I figured I'd get maybe 12 or 13 gauge. Any other tips on this?
Wednesday, December 21, 2005 10:31 AM
The thick brown wire was a 10 or 12 gauge, but you can use 10- 16 gauge just fine.

Yes 2 wire taps, the are sold in qty of 5, 10, and 25. So you will always have some extra.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 12:22 PM
I gotta give you props, you're helping me out insanely.

On the pic you sent me, it looks like there are a few black wires on the other side of the clip? If there is, which one would i need to tap, or is there just the one and I'm seeing it wrong?
Wednesday, December 21, 2005 5:40 PM
could you send me the picks as well??

"Sunfire got stolen, all i have is the J to remember it by"
Wednesday, December 21, 2005 7:39 PM
exodus 259 wrote:I gotta give you props, you're helping me out insanely.

On the pic you sent me, it looks like there are a few black wires on the other side of the clip? If there is, which one would i need to tap, or is there just the one and I'm seeing it wrong?

there are 6 other black wires. Tap the one directly opposite of the large brown wire. on the other connector.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 7:40 PM
DJ Silent wrote:could you send me the picks as well??

Will do in about an hour.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 9:33 PM
Alright, today I got a good look at the connections and what not. The connectors don't look burned and neither do the wires, which makes me wonder. Anyways .. . I bought 16 gauge wire cause its all I could find at Pepboys. I also got a 3 pack of "tap connects".

Now, on one side of the connect, there is a place where it opens and I can fit an entire wire into. Then, on the other side, I can only insert a wire into. Now, I'm assuming that I would insert the brown wire into the "whole" wire part, and then insert my piece of wire into the other. Then on the other side, use another to insert the black wire into the "whole" wire part, and connect my piece of wire into the other wire slot. Then what, just close them and its good to go? Do I have to strip any of the wire, or leave them all as is and just connect them?
Thursday, December 22, 2005 10:44 AM
Correct. You do not have to strip any wires. and yes.

Thursday, December 22, 2005 2:53 PM
am i the only one that brings my car to the dealer for that type of thing? especially casue its an 05?

"Louis, you better watch who you call a child. Because if I'm a child,
that makes you a pedafile, and I'm not gonna stand here and argue
with a pervert" -- Peter Griffin
Thursday, December 22, 2005 6:08 PM
Well I would, but I have neon tubes and what not installed and I don't feel like my dealership claiming that the after market lighting is what fried out the connector and other BS. Plus, I don't want to lose my car for like 1/3 days over something I can fix myself in 5-minutes/

Saturday, December 24, 2005 7:24 PM
Alright, got an update here . . . So sorry for the double post.

I did what you all said. I connected the brown wire to the thick black wire using those connectors. I made sure they were all connected and snapped shut, but it STILL didn't work. Now, my next fix is to get a new fuse and try it. My question is this though . . If I get a new fuse and it DOES end up fixing it, will it be fine to keep that wire jumper on it?! Is that going to create a problem is it is the fuse? Could that start a fire, or will it just not matter with that wire jumper on it if its not the problem??
Monday, January 08, 2007 3:24 PM
anyone have the pics on how to do this i need them PLZ
Monday, January 08, 2007 4:18 PM
same here. i thought i found the problem for my car randomly running like @!#$ till i kick the connector. but i found that its just the defrost wire. wow. now i still have to find my real problem. altho. since that wire was grounding out on my relay for my foglights that might be my problem. damn. piks would be nice.

Monday, January 08, 2007 5:25 PM
wouldn't replacing the fuse come first before taping wires?

Disclaimer: Dey see me Trollin' Dey hatin' for trollin dey trying to catch me ridin dirty.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search