FAQ re: Cluster lights - Page 10 - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: FAQ re: Cluster lights
Friday, March 17, 2006 6:40 AM
twistedtiger <------- that is awsome......... happy to hear !!!

COGcaviZ24 a.k.a. Andy Lee <------- damn....... thats is kewl !!!!

Well people, i guess you do NOT have to dao any soldering for any clusters 99 and older !!!! All thanx to a bit of reaserch from COGcaviZ24 a.k.a. Andy Lee !!

rawkfist <--- if it's regarding the 99 and older, i don't really care...... but as far as the newer ones, it depends, shoot me a email !!

alkatmsu <---- as always, you know thats a lot of fun !!!

wait for it... wait for it... NOW GO!! ---> '02 LS Sport <---
Yahoo IM : buzz122 AIM : buzz122cav

Friday, March 17, 2006 2:32 PM
COGcaviZ24 a.k.a. Andy Lee wrote:alright they are called "5/8 Instrument Panel Sockets". if any you guys have autometer guages, it's same as what's holding the bulbs in the gauges.here is what they look like:

like i said earlier, they are like a buck and some change each at autozone or advanced auto parts. and you change the bulbs/LED's as you please. just pull it out

Wow, im gonna stop by Auto Zone tomma and pick some up

Saturday, March 18, 2006 7:18 AM
Ok you found those sockets i was looking for them because my bro got them for this truck and my dads truck. They are very slick! Buzz you have mail!

To inform every one on this thread... I have figured the mistory on the 2000 and up clusters. Now after talking with buzz i will not let the secret out to the average joe (not to be a prick) but if you really wish to do this... do your research... go to the junk yard and if you find enough stuff on the cluster like i did ... you can do it! If not pm me and i will help with hints and clues... and be prepared to be asked what do you know about it because if you dont know enough for my standereds of helpping you i wont help! I can answer this right now for those who wish to prosue this... try to get a steady 12-14 volt system... wire it a bread board and test it out first! Test and test resisters find the best one! This is all the info i will give out due to the lieablility of my self. Hope others like my self figure it out. It will take a long time to pull of so dont halfa@@ it and burn out your car!

Saturday, March 18, 2006 9:25 AM
Damn.......... couldn't have said it better !!!!

PS you have mail...........

Saturday, March 18, 2006 10:34 AM
well for those who bought 5/8 sockets.. take them back.. they cant work.. they might work but they cant.. there 2 big.. i bought 3 5/8 and 1 1/2 on accident.. went to take em out and install and only the 1/2 fit.. and since i couldnt return the 5/8s since they were already opened.. that was a throw away of 10bucks.. cuz there 2.99 here.. got all teh 1/2s installed just waiting for darkness to see them lit..

Saturday, March 18, 2006 1:09 PM
so my cluster is done rawk?

My Other Ride

RIP Saint...Semper Fi.
Saturday, March 18, 2006 3:15 PM
they work fine in both my cars

AIM & Y!: COGcaviZ24
Saturday, March 18, 2006 3:53 PM
^^ maybe i just couldnt get them in? but the 1/2 installed perfect into my 96 Z.. just dunno if they work yet..

Saturday, March 18, 2006 4:00 PM
steve ... yes i have it done im just waiting to make sure everything is up and running! like i said before i really dont feel good about myself if i would send it off and i dont know if is 100% correct. so once i get this stupid power supply up and running you will have a new cluster!

Saturday, March 18, 2006 6:18 PM
Manta Z(Der Primered Ein) wrote:^^ maybe i just couldnt get them in? but the 1/2 installed perfect into my 96 Z.. just dunno if they work yet..

i just looked at the rest of the cluster sockets i have, THEY ARE 1/2 NOT 5/8. someone must have put that one i pictured in the wrong package. sorry

THE CLUSTER SOCKETS ARE 1/2 NOT 5/8

AIM & Y!: COGcaviZ24
Saturday, March 18, 2006 7:06 PM
I installed all 4 1/2" Instrument Panel Sockets(85835 at Auto Zone) with LEDs, these LEDs have one main LED then 4 smaller ones pointing in all directions making them 360 lighting. elimanating the dark spots u would get with regular single LEDs. So in actuality these are 5LEDs in one socket. And driving with them at night, They arent really really bright.. honestly i feel they are the perfect brightness(with the fade wheel all the way up) for night driving. I love them, i bought 6 of these 194 LEDs incase i messed up when i originally planned to solder.. well since i only had to plug in play with the new Sockets i have 2 194 LEDs left over, i was gonna put them in my turnsignals but im doing a swap next weekend so i figured i'd put them sumwhere else, so i put one in my glove box and one in my license plate, the license plate one looks badass in night driving, glove box is pretty cool too. So onto pics!

BTW my cam sucks at night so don't mind teh crappy brightness and what not.. the LEDs are actually a brighter in person, the pics do no justice.. these things are sweet.. i love em lmao.
Cluster Lit Up

Glove Box

License Plate

Sunday, March 19, 2006 7:44 PM
correct me if i'm wrong (i have not checked) but for some reason i'm thinking first gens use those type of sockets from factory
Monday, March 20, 2006 11:46 AM
woo hoo getting my cluster and window switch done.!!!!

Monday, March 20, 2006 10:41 PM
i did mine already and im not really pleased with the outcome. I used white led's for both the cluster and HVAC. i will post pix as soon as my rechargable batteries charge up!

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 6:20 PM
I did mine today, and the HVAC... VERY VERY pleased with both... the only problem I've come across is that my odometer no longer lights up! Every other icon on the cluster lights up, and yes the dimmer switch is all the way up. Anyone have any idea what may have happened to do that and how to fix it?

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 7:13 PM
I tried pounding on the dash (as was suggested in another thread), still no odometer lights

I couldn't get any pictures to turn out either, I'll try going back to the streetlight in the next few nights and see if that helps them turn out. It looks great, except for the odometer and the empty side of the gas gauge is a bit faint.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 8:24 PM
What LED did you use for the odometer? I just did my '99 with blue LED's from superbrightleds and I used one of their small #74 singles for the odo light. I had it backwards the first time so the small ones must care about polarity. It also took some soldering to get it in there since the socket was something different. Those little ones also work for the turn signal lights as well.

On a different note, I used the same 5-LED multi-directional lights in my HVAC and used the foil tape deal on the inside. I had to dremel big notches in the plastic piece so the led's would fit but with 4 led's sticking out the sides there was no problem lighting up the panel. Once I print a custom face for it without that hokey blue paint on it to filter it down I'm thinking it might be too bright. I'll get pics soon but anyway, it can be done.

Thursday, March 23, 2006 8:00 AM
I didn't do anything at all to the odometer, I only replaced the 4 #194 bulbs with the 5-LED bulbs.

And yes, the #74's are polarity sensitive, I found that out doing my HVAC, but the larger ones are not, according to the website.

Thursday, March 23, 2006 12:44 PM
Is there a way just to change the Needle colors?

<a href="http://creativedraft.com/phpBB-2.0.10/phpBB2">Creative Draft Image Manipulation Board</a>
Thursday, March 23, 2006 12:51 PM
well, what do you have, and to what do you want to change them to ?

Thursday, March 23, 2006 5:48 PM
there is away but complicated! im not saying you cant do it but ive seen some one with them and it was unbelieveable on how long it took them to do it! well i guess thats depending no how you wanted them to glow! if you wanted them to glow a different color from the other color that lights up the numbers.

ya about the odo. mine just switched off not to long ago! I had it running and all pluged in ... i found out those wlamart bulbs i have draw less power then the stock bulbs... and it would be even less if you have the leds. This is why its cousing them to black out because current takes the path of least resistance! sence the walmart bulbs and leds draw less current, most of it goes to them and not the odo. So to fix this you need to upgrade the odo bulb as well if i would haev know about that sooner i would haev posted it but as i said before mine just went like two days ago!

Thursday, March 23, 2006 6:17 PM
Upgrade the odo bulb with what? A LED, right? What size is it? I assume the odo light is the bottom of the smaller red sockets I saw in the back of the cluster, right?

Friday, March 24, 2006 11:41 AM
I used one of their 12v #74 for the odo and it wasn't as bright as the original but you can see the numbers alright. I broke the old bulb out and soldered the LED to the old brown socket and it worked once I figured out the polarity. Not sure it it's the same on the 98 though.

Friday, March 24, 2006 12:42 PM
I just got in from putting the cav back together the second time in three days. I used a #74 bulb, did basically exactly what you just said (except I didn't bother with soldering it), and after getting the polarity right, my odometer is good as new! The only thing I notice is that when I switch light modes (from just the car being on, to the middle position and back), the odometer dims, almost turns off, for a second, but it comes right back on.

Thanks for the tip on changing the bulb!

Friday, March 24, 2006 3:28 PM
This sucks ive seen all these awesome pictures of your gauges and switches (not the part that sux
The part that sux is i want to do this but i cant anywere in canada that sells these bulbs am i just not looking in the right place??

btw those clusters look awesome!!!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search