FAQ re: Cluster lights - Page 4 - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: FAQ re: Cluster lights
Thursday, February 09, 2006 8:26 AM
ok this is going to sound stupid but im lost
this doesnt work for an 00+
im in love with how that looks

Thursday, February 09, 2006 8:34 AM
EVERYONE...............................................................
remember this, know this, live this and love this.............

THERES (2) STES OF INSTRUCTIONS HERE FOR A 99 AND OLDER CLUSTER, BUT AS FAR AS 2000 +, NO. I AM OFFERING MY SERVICES OR SENDING YOU GUYS TO BALCK CAT CUSTOMS FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO MAKE THEIR CLUSTER IN DIFFERENT COLORS THAT CAN'T DO THAT THEMSELVES.

If you wish for me to do so, contact me via:

email : buzz122@yahoo.com
Yahoo IM: buzz122

wait for it... wait for it... NOW GO!! ---> '02 LS Sport <---
Yahoo IM : buzz122 AIM : buzz122cav
Thursday, February 09, 2006 2:07 PM
sorry buzz but ... OR you can just wait like until this weekend to see if i can figure away around the needle pulling the cluster is coming out tomorrow by me even tho i have to pay extra to get the stupid thing out... 35 bucks! but i dont care im going to be working on it like all weekend! and hopefully i can get this mistery solved by sunday. mostly depending on how long i will have garage space, and if i can get my friends 01 cavy to see what the color is. I will be putting red in sence alot of you peeps out there want red. I should charge for this sence the cluster costs so much lol j/k im not that mean.

Thursday, February 09, 2006 10:10 PM
UPDATE :

I have finally recieved the LONG awaited cluster, it's already completly dissasembled. I took a really close look at any way of replacing the bulbs without taking the needles out, and to be honest with you, I SEE NONE.......
With this cluster i have already discovered a few things, and also had a chance to get let down too........
I've already figured out what i need to do to change the colors of the warning lights. I am ordering it tommorow morniing all the supplies i will be needing....
I will keep you posted on this, once more information is available....

Friday, February 10, 2006 1:17 AM
******************THIS IS NOT A THREAD JACKING******************

i just ordered the autometer air/fuel gauge and was thinking about dropping another 150 on the D-Pic guage....since alot of folks here in this particular thread are pretty experienced, i was wondering if anyone has any feedback on them? i would really like to know....thnx in advance!

Friday, February 10, 2006 5:39 AM
Black96Cavy ------> i guess it lies somewhere in the gauge topic, so i will allow it, so as long as it don't turn into a major discusion............

i have it, i love it...... it's just like one of those g-tech meters from another company, but it is in a gauge form that lights up such a pretty !!!!
I've already played with it, and i can't wait to get it installed....
I wish i could take a pic of it installed, but i'm waiting on completing my dash piece to do so....

Friday, February 10, 2006 5:41 AM
buzz122 wrote:yeah, that would so so suck if that is true..........

BUT, there just, just might be a way to get around that......
once i get more details, i'll let you guys know.......

I'm unsure as to where this is referring to, best I can see is that it is the "red film on Sunfires" statement.

Unfortunately, it's true. While it may not be a red film perse', it is a red, semi-transparent paint/dye/etc.

I have the stock HVAC overlay removed and I can get a pic after work that will show what I'm mentioning. It's the same kind of paint/dye/??? that is behind the cluster overlay.

Friday, February 10, 2006 5:54 AM
Kardain ---> that should be right... from looking at the post, it seems i was refering to that too............

I know exatctly what youre talking about, since i pulled that film off of the Cav cluster, and i noticed that if you just put the cav one in front of some light, you can see that all the numbers on the gauges, have this light, baby-blue-ish tint.....

I talking to someone that might have a way around this.....

UPDATE: i also have fugured out why, when you pull the needles out, the gauge does not seem to work........

it's kinda hard to explain, but it involves the gears that are inside the little motor.

MYTH: some people pull out their needles, and they are fine after replecing them, and then theres some that pull their needles out, and they don't work.
ANSWER: the myth is true..... for both sides.....
If you pull the needle out, and you still see a metal "pin" still on the motor, you are fine, and the gauge will work after you replece the needle.
If you pull the needle out, and you see the metal "pin" still inside the needle itslelf, then youre screwed.....

Friday, February 10, 2006 10:32 AM
UPDATE :

So far it is official, i can get the wrning lights to be of the same colors, or whatever color you choose, as long as it is a red, a yellow, or a green....... i gues LED manufacturers decided not to make those in blue. Those f***ers !!!! damn them....

The blue, i will have to go a different route.... and have a couple of options open, but will know more details soon enough....

Friday, February 10, 2006 11:58 AM
hmm strange on the 03s the warning lights are only coloured by the same coloured film stuff as the numbers and everything not by individual lights
Friday, February 10, 2006 12:29 PM
M-tay (White Rice) wrote:hmm strange on the 03s the warning lights are only coloured by the same coloured film stuff as the numbers and everything not by individual lights

HUH ??????

uhhh, the film on the cavi, is baby-blue at the nubmers and the tick marks....
all the rest of the icons have their own individual lights... and have no color on the film..... i can take a pic and show you when i get home.........

Friday, February 10, 2006 2:47 PM
OK GUYS all you who have a 00-02 (if the 03 and up are the same then sweet!!) I finally got the cluster from the freaken lazy junk yard. It looks so freaken easy if your not afraid to drill a hole. Scary yes but this one was extremely cheep and im not even going to bother with the needles now (sence i have no car to test to make sure it all works the way it should), and replace them with red lights wether they be leds that i can pick up at radio shack or for walmart. So if you guys want to see pictures yell for me ill be back on at like 8 at the latest (thats central time) and if i see posts on here ill post them up right away.

Congrats buzz!!

Friday, February 10, 2006 4:23 PM
Heres what i'm talking about, that the gauges light up in baby-blue

Friday, February 10, 2006 5:01 PM
For the Sunfires, it is on the back side of the panel overlay... similar to the HVAC panel...

Its painted on, and doesn't peel off.

Sorry, don't have a guage overlay to reference to....

But its the same crap on the back of the overlay for the cluster.

Friday, February 10, 2006 5:06 PM
Ok guys ive gotten it all swapped! I took the neeldes off when i didn't need to... I found out my dad has a needle pulling pliers is does something so that little metal part doesn't come off, so i used that but it is possiblt to swap the lights with ( 6) 5 mm leds by drilling 5 holes. I dont have any pictures right now because the digital camera is being gay so email me if you wish to find out the step by step instructions if you cant wait!

Friday, February 10, 2006 5:07 PM
Ozzie(aka LED KING) wrote:Between Buzz and Kardain..

there are 2 highly edumacated mofo's on LED technology that seems to be so difficult

Why thanks Ozzie.

Its not too incredibly different... just basic 12v electronics with a twist.

Hell, up till 6 months ago, I didn't know a thing about LED's except they looked neat when they lit up.

Friday, February 10, 2006 6:32 PM
rawkfist wrote:Ok guys ive gotten it all swapped! I took the neeldes off when i didn't need to... I found out my dad has a needle pulling pliers is does something so that little metal part doesn't come off, so i used that but it is possiblt to swap the lights with ( 6) 5 mm leds by drilling 5 holes. I dont have any pictures right now because the digital camera is being gay so email me if you wish to find out the step by step instructions if you cant wait!

u did this with a 99 or a 00?

My Other Ride

RIP Saint...Semper Fi.
Friday, February 10, 2006 8:29 PM
The cluster was a 01 guys!!!

Friday, February 10, 2006 9:12 PM
Why thank you Kardain........

Umm....... ........this is great and all, but when you said you were gonna replace the lights without taking the needles off, i figured you were gonna do something ingenious......
I dunno about you, but there is no way in hell i would butcher up a cluster like that by drilling holes, much less 5 of them in the damn thing......
Secondly, i wanna see where you drilled those holes, and i want to see the thing how it is lit up in a car, fully assmbled and fully functional..... for some reason i don't buy it....

If you wanna do that, go right ahead, and have fun at it...... i want no part in that....

rawkfist---> please don't take this the wrong way, but i'm just stating my thoughts on the whole idea of drilling somekind of holes.....

Friday, February 10, 2006 9:43 PM
Buz its ok that was the idea, if i didn't stat that up there but i found the way to make the needles come off perfect like 100% of the time! Its called the help of a tool me dad made to pull needles off. I will say this as i do in the emaisl i sent out. It works just as good as two screwdrivers on both sides of the needle. Now I found out why the hell the things break and others do not! If you were to take aprt a 99 and older those pins are a larger size compared to the 00's and up. This meaning you have to pull up on the needles on both sides from keeping it from sanpping and if it doesn't come undone just stop and get a scrap cluster and try it see if it works. In one of the ones i did today, it was easy as pie, Now the second one i did for my friend that one was freaken insane! I had to slowly work it up to the top and luckely i didn't break one pin. So actually if you think the drilling holes isn't your route you can ask me or buzz sence i found out you pull the needles, fo guide lines. and if you really want to see one with the holes in it lit up ... Ill show you red once i finish a dudes in blue, and it will be a little bit depending on when it gets here.

Saturday, February 11, 2006 5:57 AM
i agree with buzz..no way in hell i want holes drilled in my cluster

My Other Ride

RIP Saint...Semper Fi.

Saturday, February 11, 2006 7:13 AM
OK guys sorry stupid idea!!

Saturday, February 11, 2006 7:40 AM
was that the only way u could do it rawkfist? or did you do it successfuly(sp) without drilling holes?

My Other Ride

RIP Saint...Semper Fi.
Saturday, February 11, 2006 10:16 AM
I could get 3 out of the 7 (if you include the odometer bulb) out with out removing the needle or drilling holes but the other ones were to hard to i pulled the needles, But i guess if you have a long skinny pliers you might be able to get to them all, but idk. One thing i found out it was a pain in the ass to get the little wires threw the holes with out removing the needles, so actually i would say the only way is to remove the needles.

does any one know what type and size the warning lights are?

Saturday, February 11, 2006 4:04 PM
your solution to the needle problem has been done before
but its still hit or miss cus they can still break if you slip at all
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search