FAQ re: Cluster lights - Page 7 - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: FAQ re: Cluster lights
Friday, February 17, 2006 7:18 AM
buzz loves us sry..kinda tired neway..i do apologize, i never realized it took that long if only i had the money..grrr

My Other Ride

RIP Saint...Semper Fi.

Friday, February 17, 2006 9:34 AM
Got the new Sunfire cluster installed today. Lovin' it. Chevy should've done it this way in the first place.

Gotta keep on livin', L-I-V-I-N
Friday, February 17, 2006 3:23 PM
I've found the bulbs I need for the cluster, just need to order them and start the testing. I've already fked up my first cluster because of those damn needels(got the metal pins, DAMNIT!), and you're right they sure as hell don't work when you try and put them back in. It's no problem because I can get cluster's for $40 all day long. Replacing the bulbs won't be a problem at all, just trying to get the needles off w/o the metal pins is gonna be a problem. I tried using the two screwdriver method, but alas, it didn't work.

When all is said and done. Just having you do it buzz would probably be cheaper, but I like the challenge and the money I spend on getting it right will be worth it in the end.
Friday, February 17, 2006 7:17 PM
Ordered my 10LEDs today..
(6) #194 LEDs in Green(4 for cluster, 1 for glove box, 1 for license plate)
(2) #74 LEDs in Green(for my HVAC)
(2) #74 LEDs in Red(for a buddies HVAC)

And it only cost $34.00 total shipped! Should have pics in bout 2 weeks with my LEDs installed.

Friday, February 17, 2006 8:55 PM
anybody know why the odometer wouldn't light up in a Sunfire cluster swap into a Cavalier. Everything else lights up fine and looks awesome, I'm just wndering if there is some kind of compatability issue, or if the bulb is burnt?

Saturday, February 18, 2006 11:43 AM
Hey, I changed my gauge lights on my '96 Cavy to red 194's, am I supposed to change the other little light bulbs that are next to the 194's?? They have a brown holder on them..if that helps

Also, anyone know how to ge the HVAC bulbs off??? I opened it and everything, but I cant get the bulb off... Thanx
Sunday, February 19, 2006 5:34 PM
bone stock z ---- > i think most likely your bulb is just burned out...... thats my guess....

wait for it... wait for it... NOW GO!! ---> '02 LS Sport <---
Yahoo IM : buzz122 AIM : buzz122cav
Sunday, February 19, 2006 5:41 PM
Okay, odometer is okay after a quick tap, but how many bulbs are behind the tach in a Sunfire cluster? Part of it looks a little dim.

Sunday, February 19, 2006 6:34 PM
what year is your cluster, and do you have a tach ?

Monday, February 20, 2006 4:00 AM
Sunfire Cluster is off a 2000, and yes both of my clusters have tachs. Car is a 2002 Z24.

Monday, February 20, 2006 10:06 AM
Dgame, you just have to pull really hard on the HVAC bulbs. I had to break mine and pull on the filament inside to get them out.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 7:45 AM
yours unfortuneatly is not the simple one, that one youre gonna have to dissasemble....... but if i'm not mistaken, there were 6-8 lights just for the cluster lights..........

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 12:40 PM

Wow, I don't even remember when I finished this mod. 2ish years ago sounds right.

Nice work buzz; should request for a sticky.

- Interior FAQ -
J-Body of Michigan -
Tuesday, February 21, 2006 2:16 PM
Nice pic........ great job

i could, but it manages to stay on top somewhere...... so i'm not worried about it

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 2:29 PM
i orderd my leds last night 4 for the cluster $8 i think and 2 for the HVAC $5

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 3:36 PM
Do I Still get the fifty dollars if I tell the '00 cluster secret?

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 5:15 PM
NO.........

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 5:28 PM
Autof;ow, what is the '00 cluster secret? You can't dangle that out there and leave me hangin'!

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 5:50 PM
Its not so much a secret as it is a safer way to change the bulbs. I used a desoldering iron to remove the stock bulbs. All this is, is a normal soldering iron with a manual suction device attached to it. You can just heat up the solder and slowly remove it with osmething non metal. I use toothpicks when i have to. Next I put the bulbs into the holes thru the backside just to get the spacing right. Now all you need is special pliers. I got mine from home depot. Their needle nose pliers that are about 6 inches long from tip to pivet point and only about quater inch thick. With these thin pliers you can put in the bulbs thru the three small holes already in the plastic. All but one of these bulbs can easily put in place. the sixth one has no holes in the plastic so i gently pryed up the curcit bored and got it right in. I had a few bulbs out already so i really had nothing to lose but i dont want anyone to think this was very easy. It takes time and patiences. Just let me know if anyone has any questions.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 12:05 AM
i just ordered my bulbs

5 #194 bulbs for dash and licence plate

3 #74 bulbs for HVAC

will keep yall updated as soon as i install it

Friday, February 24, 2006 10:31 AM
*bump*

Anyone gotten the multi-directional LED bulbs installed yet?

Friday, February 24, 2006 12:38 PM
i got my leds in today well in the mail

Friday, February 24, 2006 1:49 PM
alkatmsu wrote:*bump*

Anyone gotten the multi-directional LED bulbs installed yet?

SEC Z/z2fst4u got his installed, they look great, no noticable dark spots that i could see, i wish i woulda saved the pic..but ill try and get him to post it

Friday, February 24, 2006 4:20 PM
does anyone know where to get the metal clips...found out one of mine broke while in the cluster and thats why i have a dark spot... or are there any other GM vehicles that have bulb sockets that are interchangable...the dealer told me there were...and no i dont feel like driving over an hour to a good junkyard down here...

Friday, February 24, 2006 6:35 PM
Yeah my brother has the normal blue led's and I got the multi directional LEDs and they are 100% difference. His still look tyte but with mine there is literally no darker spots, looks REALLY tyte!

They look a lil yellow but they arent, they are VERY red! It's so different to look at after driving for nearly 2 years with them yellowish, but everytime I look at them I like them better.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search