HVAC colors - Page 6 - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: HVAC colors
Sunday, February 26, 2006 12:25 PM
sry if this is in the wrong section, but i have a question about the window switch controls in the center console. How do you get the stock bulb out? I want to put a different color in.

Thanks,
Brandon

Sunday, February 26, 2006 1:53 PM
DOUBLE POST..........

wait for it... wait for it... NOW GO!! ---> '02 LS Sport <---
Yahoo IM : buzz122 AIM : buzz122cav
Sunday, February 26, 2006 1:56 PM
jared peshek ----------------->

Exodus 259 wrote:If you change the bulbs to either Red or blue LED's and you don't do anything else to the HVAC panel, the light will be dim enough, trust me. Also, you can still dim the light via the switch, but trust me, there wouldn't be a point.

what he said....... !!!

Monday, February 27, 2006 9:12 PM
5 tip led in green sorry if it posts big

Monday, February 27, 2006 10:33 PM
Wrong thread... is the left side of the gas guage really that dark? It's the only obvious dark spot I see.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 8:13 AM
alkatmsu wrote:Wrong thread... is the left side of the gas guage really that dark? It's the only obvious dark spot I see.

What he said....................

great job though............

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 2:11 PM
sorry guys i didnt mean to put in the this thread lol i know but i have to pull it all apart agian and see why its so dark over there but there not to over whelming at nite
Tuesday, February 28, 2006 3:30 PM
fyi i just got done tearing it apart agian and that one bulb wasnt making any conection all fixed now and ill take me pics tonite
and ill make sure it goes in the right thread
Tuesday, February 28, 2006 7:40 PM
The only problem I have with my hvac panel lighting up, is the mode selection knob isn't as bright as the others. It's still bright enough for my taste but I'd like for them all to be the same brightness. I'm thinking about taking out the bulb closest to that knob and sanding the part of the bulb that faces the knob. Perhaps it will let a little more light shine thorough.
Wednesday, March 01, 2006 6:08 AM
robert polep <--------- ignore the question in the cluster light thread, i just read it right here.........

J-BO < ------ that sounds like it might work. Did you sand the LED's in the first place, or just stick them in ?
I dunno if you realize this, but when you take the bulb out, you have to slightly turn the grey plug. Keeping this in mind, youre going to have to compensate for the tuning, to sand it, in the correct direction.
I'm sure you already figured that out, i just wanted to reiterate it.
Post pics when done............................................................

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 8:25 AM
The sanding isn't really an issue if you sand all the way around. When I used the 60 grit sand paper, I held the paper in one hand, and sanded the bulb against the paper. If you do it evenly on all sides, it will round it out like a normal-style bulb. If you round it out a nice amount, it wouldn't matter which way the bulb is turned in the grey plug since equal light would be sent in all directions.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 2:43 PM
yeah, but he was talking about just doing it to aim it a bit to the one side, i think

Friday, March 03, 2006 3:40 PM
I just sanded the right bulb all the way around and they all look proportional now. I'll post a pic when I get the chance.
Saturday, March 18, 2006 7:06 PM
Picture 1: Shows teh HVAC before teh black cover is removed

Picture 2: Black cover removed, Clear Plastic Peice shown, it just easily falls out

Picture 3: Plastic peice removed

Picture 4: #74 LEDs, I didnt do much sanding except took most of the edge off.. i still plan to sand them more, for anyone who wants to sand them, the LED originally looks like ], now the goal for sanding them is to make them look more like > which angles the light outward more than forward

Picture 5: This si the plastic peice covered in Aluminum Foil, shinest side facing INWARD, Then i cut the holes for the 2 bulbs and then cut where the knobs go

Picture 6: LEDs installed and tested making sure both worked, recommend doing this before u install them, if they dont work try pulling them out and flipping them around and that should fix your problem, i didnt have any problem tho

Picture 7: Clear peice, black cover, and clear knobs reinstalled, LEDs are lit, u can faintly see them

Picture 8: All reinstalled, LED pic at night, the far right one has paint thinner on it so it looks weird, hense making the light output in that one duller than teh other 2

I love these, i still plan to take the LEDs out and finish sanding them but i like these alot better than the ghey stock yellowish color, and its completely reverseable say if u want to change interior colors. Definatly a mod i love

Saturday, March 18, 2006 7:19 PM
Thanks for posting pics. I'm planning on doing this Monday if weather permits.

Sunday, March 19, 2006 1:20 PM
ok so ive looked and cant seem to find anywhere either where i can get the clear HVAC knobs or how to make them clear if anyone can help me out with that i would appriciate it.
Sunday, March 19, 2006 2:52 PM
just simply pull the knobs off. then youll see that there is a clear plastic coverd buy a rubber coating. just peel the rubber coating off. you can start at the bottom edge of the nob.

Sunday, March 19, 2006 3:20 PM
You should heat the knobs with a hair dryer (or in the oven if you're brave) so the rubber comes off easier.

Sunday, March 19, 2006 3:44 PM
Why . . . Everyone says to use heat, but there is no point. Take off the knobs, pull the rubber off around the circle edge first, and basically roll it upwards, or until you get enough to be able to just pull on it and it'll come right off. Why risk heating them and weakening the knobs so they warp and get messed up? I've done this to two sets of knobs so far, both without the use of heat.
Sunday, March 19, 2006 6:25 PM
^^ same here..

Monday, March 20, 2006 4:47 AM
just so everyone knows

if you want your hvac to light up red, grab the piece from a sunfire (the plastic piece behind the black front cover of the hvac)
bada bing bada boom, your hvac will light up red
there is no need to change the led's
the only reason to change the lights to leds is if you want it to be bright, or of course if your going with blue/green/yellow/pink/brown/purple/gay/rainbow/colors

Monday, March 20, 2006 8:08 AM
Exodus 259 wrote:Why . . . Everyone says to use heat, but there is no point. Take off the knobs, pull the rubber off around the circle edge first, and basically roll it upwards, or until you get enough to be able to just pull on it and it'll come right off. Why risk heating them and weakening the knobs so they warp and get messed up? I've done this to two sets of knobs so far, both without the use of heat.

When I first tried to do mine without heat, the knobs themselves were very brittle and started cracking as soon as I started. I was told having used heat would have prevented that. I never actually did use heat, I went ahead and bought some knobs from someone, but I was told it would have worked better.

Monday, March 20, 2006 6:32 PM
Well, like I said, I've done two sets of knobs, both without heat and mine turned out perfect. You just can't be too rough with them, just take your time and roll the rubber off the knobs. Works like a charm
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 7:14 AM
^^^^ this is true, i actually did mine while driving lol

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 8:33 PM
Hey,

Thanks for the tip about the aluminum foil. I don't know why I never thought
of that Nearly one year after having switched to leds, I'm now finally satisfied
with how it looks.

BADASS!

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines." -- Steven Wright
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search