HOW TO - Repaint Your Interior (Lot's of pics) - Page 3 - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: HOW TO - Repaint Your Interior (Lot's of pics)
Tuesday, March 14, 2006 7:25 AM
Great write up, answered all my questions except for dash, Ill be looking for that tutorial also!

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 9:42 PM
Well, I got a few more pieces done, so I figured I'd share some more progress pics.

A bunch of random pieces being sanded.

Center console.

A-Pillar #2

Both pieces.

Console close up.

A-Pillar close up.

A-Pillar in car.

Door sill.

Couple items for the next projects... dash and doors.

Wide Body Progress

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 1:27 PM
Right now started work on the inner part of the side mirrors. Went over everything once with 60 grit and can kinda still see the design underneath, will this go away as I go over it with the other different grits or should it be gone over again with the 60?
Wednesday, March 22, 2006 1:56 PM
go ver it wit a diff grit.

SliMMaTiC (Tom Sylvester)
'hey i am doing the same stuff u are doing right now if u got aim my sn is tcense18, im me tonight so i know to do the stuff right

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 2:47 PM
Ty W wrote:Right now started work on the inner part of the side mirrors. Went over everything once with 60 grit and can kinda still see the design underneath, will this go away as I go over it with the other different grits or should it be gone over again with the 60?

Well, the way sanding works, you start off with a low grit to get the texture out, then move up in grit to get out the scratches from the lower grit. By the time you get up to the higher grits, you will have very fine scratches.

Following this idea, you will want to continue to sand with 60 grit to get out all the texture. It is much easier to get this texture out with 60 grit than a higher grit. You will be better off spending more time sanding with the lower grits, which will make it much easier once you get up to the higher grits.

Chris Ense: My aim name is siimmatic. I'm on all the time, just not always there. Leave me an im and we'll chat.

Wide Body Progress

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 11:10 PM
Alright, thank you. I have the progressive sandpaper was basically just wondering if I should keep going over it with the 60 grit until all sight of the texture is gone before moving up in grit, or if by the time I was at the point of primering it would have disappeared just due to the amount of sanding overall. But you have answered the question thank you. I'll go over it again with the 60.
Saturday, April 01, 2006 6:01 PM
As I said before, great write up, one question though. I have a couple trouble spots, and deep scratches (maybe 1-2 cm), I bought some bondo glazing and spot putty to fill the scratches, and maybe put a thin smooth layer on the trouble spots (like rear seat armrest where it is a little harder to sand completely smooth) and I was wondering if it would stay stuck or crack out. I know not to use it on seams and it even says it will crack on thick applications, but I wasn't sure about a thin layer on some spots or filling deep scratch. I did apply it over some primer, if that matters. Oh, also would a loud system have a bad effect on it? Right now Im hitting about 135 spl (I know, not much) but plan on upgrading after finishing my interior. Just wanted to check before I go on painting and end up with a mess. Thanks in advance.

Saturday, April 01, 2006 7:47 PM
so im thinkin about painting some small accent type pieces in my car (area around the door handles, the vetns, plastic piece on the shifter, ya know) and i was thinkin, should i go with flat or satin yellow, or semi gloss?
just an opion is all i need folks
thanks

Sunday, April 02, 2006 6:09 AM
jcondo wrote:As I said before, great write up, one question though. I have a couple trouble spots, and deep scratches (maybe 1-2 cm), I bought some bondo glazing and spot putty to fill the scratches, and maybe put a thin smooth layer on the trouble spots (like rear seat armrest where it is a little harder to sand completely smooth) and I was wondering if it would stay stuck or crack out. I know not to use it on seams and it even says it will crack on thick applications, but I wasn't sure about a thin layer on some spots or filling deep scratch. I did apply it over some primer, if that matters. Oh, also would a loud system have a bad effect on it? Right now Im hitting about 135 spl (I know, not much) but plan on upgrading after finishing my interior. Just wanted to check before I go on painting and end up with a mess. Thanks in advance.

I've heard that you can actually use superglue to fill in these cracks. Since it is cyanoacrylate(sp), it will actually adhere to the plastics and actually mold it together. As far as using some glaze or spot putty, I think that should be fine as well. Hopefully someone else can confirm this. Also, I don't think bass will be a problem.

Brandon Crawford wrote:so im thinkin about painting some small accent type pieces in my car (area around the door handles, the vetns, plastic piece on the shifter, ya know) and i was thinkin, should i go with flat or satin yellow, or semi gloss?
just an opion is all i need folks
thanks

Depends on the look you want. If you want it to look like fiberglass, then go glossy. This will also require more time to prep(sand out the texture). If you just want to change the color of the accent pieces, you could go with either. It all depends on what you want it to look like. Search around fomr some interiors and see what you like.

Wide Body Progress

Wednesday, April 05, 2006 3:26 PM
best write up i have ever seen, wheres the sticky at

Thursday, April 06, 2006 11:59 PM
STICKY petition

1. Jcavi
2. Orlandomon
3. Lito

Friday, April 07, 2006 12:35 AM
sticky this

Saturday, April 08, 2006 10:56 PM

STICKY petition

1. Jcavi
2. Orlandomon
3. Lito
4. silverZ

Monday, April 10, 2006 10:25 PM
thank you,
i have two questions though.....
1. what kinda wax remover do you use? and do i just follow the instructions on the back of the can for this application?
2. and uhhh i forgot my other one! when i remember it i'll post up
Monday, April 10, 2006 10:33 PM
2.what about the vinyl? i know about the dye, but is there any real solution to smoothing it out other than glassing it? In my sunfire i got the vinyl dash and door rest. And i think the center console lid is vinyl also
Tuesday, April 11, 2006 5:59 AM
Matt wrote:thank you,
i have two questions though.....
1. what kinda wax remover do you use? and do i just follow the instructions on the back of the can for this application?
2.what about the vinyl? i know about the dye, but is there any real solution to smoothing it out other than glassing it? In my sunfire i got the vinyl dash and door rest. And i think the center console lid is vinyl also

1. Doesn't really matter what kind. I have used Kleen Strip and 3M in the past. Basically you will just apply it to the surface and wipe off. Then you will need to clean it again with soap and water.

2. With vinyl, there are a few options. If you are simply going to repaint it, I would suggest tearing the vinyl off. Underneath it is plastic, just like the rest of your car. You can then prep and paint the plastic like the rest of your car. Another option is to tear off the vinyl and fiberglass the surface. Some people opt to do this, but if you are not adding anything to the surface, it is easier and cheaper to simply prep and paint it. Another options is using the vinyl dye... but if you want a smooth look, you will not use this method.

Good luck!

Wide Body Progress

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 8:43 PM
I dont think it deserves a sticky, it wanst all that great, nothing that the interior FAQ at the top already doesnt state, sure, may not be as detailed, but all he said in this post is the basics of painting. Doesnt matter how much you prep/sand or wahtever you do. Spraypaint is trash, it will never hold, so sir, you just spend A LOT of time on something you will have to redo again in the future if you are anal and want things to be perfect.
Wednesday, April 12, 2006 6:28 AM
Fst Cavy wrote:I dont think it deserves a sticky, it wanst all that great, nothing that the interior FAQ at the top already doesnt state, sure, may not be as detailed, but all he said in this post is the basics of painting. Doesnt matter how much you prep/sand or wahtever you do. Spraypaint is trash, it will never hold, so sir, you just spend A LOT of time on something you will have to redo again in the future if you are anal and want things to be perfect.

wow your an anus arent you, and not very smart either....

JBO'S Mr. 64.....
Wednesday, April 12, 2006 6:34 AM
^^ x2

Wednesday, April 12, 2006 9:14 AM
Fst Cavy wrote:I dont think it deserves a sticky, it wanst all that great, nothing that the interior FAQ at the top already doesnt state, sure, may not be as detailed, but all he said in this post is the basics of painting. Doesnt matter how much you prep/sand or wahtever you do. Spraypaint is trash, it will never hold, so sir, you just spend A LOT of time on something you will have to redo again in the future if you are anal and want things to be perfect.

The intention of this write-up was to show people the steps necessary to paint some of their interior pieces. Many people on this site do not know the basic steps of painting. What I did was thoroughly explain each of these steps in detail, so that even someone with no knowledge of painting can follow them and paint some of their interior. These same general steps will be taken weather the person uses spraypaint or automotive paint and a hvlp gun. Most people on here do not have a hvlp gun, so they use spray paint. Many people have nice interiors from spraypaint. Of course, you will get better results from using a hvlp gun. This is common knowledge, and noone was disputing that. This has helped many people, so if you want to go trash a thread, please do it somewhere else.

Wide Body Progress

Wednesday, April 12, 2006 11:31 AM
Sorry if I offended anyone, but if I offended you, take that as a sign of not painting your interior. I have seen WAY TOO many interiors done with spray paint that look liek crap. I myself have done some interiors with krylon fusion, it doesnt look too bad, but no durability and end up getting redone, so plain and simple dont use it. I have an opinion taht many people will agree with, either do it right or dont do it at all. Sure you can fool your friends into thinking you did a sweeta$$ job on your interior, but the second taht some1 looks in there that knows something, you will look like a dumba$$, so if you want to be in that position, go right ahead. But I buy A LOT of cars, and the number one thing that turns me away is a spraypainted interior, plain and simple.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006 12:29 PM
Fst Cavy wrote:Sorry if I offended anyone, but if I offended you, take that as a sign of not painting your interior. I have seen WAY TOO many interiors done with spray paint that look liek crap. I myself have done some interiors with krylon fusion, it doesnt look too bad, but no durability and end up getting redone, so plain and simple dont use it. I have an opinion taht many people will agree with, either do it right or dont do it at all. Sure you can fool your friends into thinking you did a sweeta$$ job on your interior, but the second taht some1 looks in there that knows something, you will look like a dumba$$, so if you want to be in that position, go right ahead. But I buy A LOT of cars, and the number one thing that turns me away is a spraypainted interior, plain and simple.

Your opinion is your opinion man. You stated it, that's fine. But don't come in here and bash me or anyone else who has done their interior this way. My interior looks great. I spent a decent amount of time putting this write-up together to help others out. I do not see you doing anything of this nature. Instead, you choose to come in and complain about it.

Wide Body Progress

Wednesday, April 12, 2006 9:14 PM
I'm not bashing you, trust me, I respect people who sit down and help others, truly do. But I came on here, gave my opinion, and you can take it how you want, and IF I was you, I wouldnt be advising other people that dont know much beyond posts like this to do their interior if they dont want to do it right. MANY people will agree with me, spraypaint just ISNT the right way man. Yes it can look great, but it WILL NOT last long, and you WILL BE redoing your interior. Painting is a tricky thing to get right, even if it is just out of a rattlecan. Almost everyone that spraypaints their interiors will regret it down the line, especially if you put that many hours into sanding as you more than likely did. That is another thing I respect you for, you have a crapload of sanding time in, and I know that sanding just plain and simple sucks and it seems like it wont ever end, so it kills me to see someone put THAT many hours into sanding and do a nice job on the prepwork, and spraypaint it. You can buy an HVLP gun for like 35 bucks, it will be an extremely cheap one, but it will work. I painted my first car using a 35 dollar hvlp gun taht i bought at some tool special sale, and it turned out pretty good, so the point is, you dont have to break the bank in order to own a hvlp gun taht you are only using on interiors. But anyway, if you dont want to take my advise, I never once said you needed to, I am simply relaying a simple message someone should have told me about 2 years ago when i thought Krylon Fusion was the next best thing to the wheel. Good Luck with your interiors.
Thursday, April 13, 2006 6:00 AM
Fst Cavy wrote:I'm not bashing you, trust me, I respect people who sit down and help others, truly do. But I came on here, gave my opinion, and you can take it how you want, and IF I was you, I wouldnt be advising other people that dont know much beyond posts like this to do their interior if they dont want to do it right. MANY people will agree with me, spraypaint just ISNT the right way man. Yes it can look great, but it WILL NOT last long, and you WILL BE redoing your interior. Painting is a tricky thing to get right, even if it is just out of a rattlecan. Almost everyone that spraypaints their interiors will regret it down the line, especially if you put that many hours into sanding as you more than likely did. That is another thing I respect you for, you have a crapload of sanding time in, and I know that sanding just plain and simple sucks and it seems like it wont ever end, so it kills me to see someone put THAT many hours into sanding and do a nice job on the prepwork, and spraypaint it. You can buy an HVLP gun for like 35 bucks, it will be an extremely cheap one, but it will work. I painted my first car using a 35 dollar hvlp gun taht i bought at some tool special sale, and it turned out pretty good, so the point is, you dont have to break the bank in order to own a hvlp gun taht you are only using on interiors. But anyway, if you dont want to take my advise, I never once said you needed to, I am simply relaying a simple message someone should have told me about 2 years ago when i thought Krylon Fusion was the next best thing to the wheel. Good Luck with your interiors.

Thanks man. I totally understand what you are saying, and I agree with you. Your demeanor was much nicer in your last post. In all honesty, I'm sure I will redo my interior at some point in the future using a HVLP gun. But It looks great and I'm content with it for it now, and it was a good learning experience. As far as others, I like to see people do things themselves. Your right, painting is a hard thing to get right. And for most people on this site, there really is no good place to learn how to do many things. Myself, I try to gather as much info as I can online, then I just dive into projects, and normally don't do them 100% correctly the first time. But I try to share my experiences with other so that they can learn. This is what I attempted with this tutorial, and I even told people the following.

"This is the process I used to repaint my interior. I had great success, but I suggest that you use this as a guideline and take suggestions from others, as I am no expert."

Thank you for your comments on this post, and I'm glad we now agree.

Wide Body Progress

Thursday, April 13, 2006 1:55 PM
im doing my interior two-tone black and silver, what brand/type of paint would you recommend?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search