Interior Center Console Swap - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Interior Center Console Swap
Monday, April 24, 2006 8:11 PM
i have a 99 sunfire gt. i would like to swap it with either a newer sunfire or new cavalier center console...how easy is this...i like the newer ones for more cup holders and stuff like that

Re: Interior Center Console Swap
Monday, April 24, 2006 9:55 PM
Bolts right up. Very easy

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/676422/1
Monday, April 24, 2006 10:36 PM
I have a 2000 in my 98...

Looks good, and real easy to install.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 5:24 AM
i have 02 in my 95
Bolts right up. Very easy
Tuesday, April 25, 2006 6:39 AM
thanks guys...now a newer cavalier one will go into my sunfire nicely too right??? or just a newer sunfire one
Tuesday, April 25, 2006 1:06 PM
Jordan Cancela wrote:now a newer cavalier one will go into my sunfire nicely too right??? or just a newer sunfire one

'00+ Cavalier and Sunfire consoles are exactly the same, so you can use either one. It doesn't matter if it's from a manual or automatic transmission, Coupe or Sedan, they're the same.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 4:11 PM
I have a sunfire console in my 97 LS Cav... so its easy to do.

Thursday, April 27, 2006 10:36 PM
just make sure you grab the brackets too. the 95-99 and 00+ use different brackets. if you were to use a 00+ center console with 95-99 brackets the middle bolt (under the coin tray/power windows switch) is no where near close and the frotn of the console will be slightly shifted to the left.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Monday, May 01, 2006 10:35 PM
Actually, the auto and manual are different.... the boot... the plastic is cut more on the 5 speed.

Plus the 00+ auto won't fit the 95-99 auto properly either. The shifter assembly doesn't line up quite right... it's close though. You can't swap the front metal piece, it's part of the shifter assembly. you can swap the centre metal bracket though... the rear is part of the floor pan, and is the same on 95-05.

Monday, January 03, 2011 5:20 PM
sorry to thread jack and bring up a really old thread but i was curious and didnt wana make a new thread, i have a 99 sunfire with a auto transmission i want to swap to a 2000 cavalier center console since it has 2 cup holders and with kids i really need them....... would this be direct bolt on?
Monday, January 03, 2011 7:41 PM
To quote a 4 AND A HALF YEAR OLD POST[/b}

[quotePlus the 00+ auto won't fit the 95-99 auto properly either. The shifter assembly doesn't line up quite right... it's close though. You can't swap the front metal piece, it's part of the shifter assembly. you can swap the centre metal bracket though... the rear is part of the floor pan, and is the same on 95-05.

]

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Monday, January 03, 2011 8:59 PM
alright what if i just swapped to a manual console instead?
Sunday, January 09, 2011 1:18 AM
The console is the same... it's just got a bigger hole cut in it to accommodate the shifter boot. You can cut it out yourself if you want... it still won't fit cleanly around the 95-99 auto shifter.

The best way to do it, though it's a lot of work, would be to swap the 00-05 auto shifter in as well. More work, but it's cleaner.

Sunday, January 09, 2011 3:40 PM
How much work would it be to swap shifter, like whats involved

Monday, January 10, 2011 6:25 PM
4 bolts and shifter cable clips

Sig'less since '02!
Monday, January 10, 2011 6:39 PM
that would be easy, i wasnt sure if it had a different bolt patter or not.

Friday, January 14, 2011 1:33 AM
I have a 00+ auto console w/ a manual boot in my 99 cavalier. i just couldn't use all the bolt holes and i had to cut a small hole for the manual boot to snap into the shifter opening.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Friday, January 14, 2011 1:58 AM
Went right in my '96 Sunfire.... Worst I had to do wwas fad up a front bracket.. Used 1/2 inch alum. Flat stock from lowes only because I didn't have the mount and wire the 12 volt outlet to mine... Otherwise 5 minute install

2003 Cavalier
Stock 2.2 Liter, 5 speed
" Leave the rice to Uncle Ben's and the wings to KFC..
Go clean or go home. "

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 12:04 PM
I put a '00 Auto console in my '99 Auto Z24. I kept the '99 shifter (shortened lever). All I did was carefully cut the quadrant out of the '99 console and trim it to fit the bezel trim ring used on the '00. Looks fine, but there aren't many adhesives that work well on the plastics involved. (Silicone and JB Weld are out. I used 3M black Weatherstrip Cement.)

markc50...formerly 1of7627 but that login doesn't work anymore.
Friday, November 16, 2012 7:57 AM
so will a five speed console with the dual cup holders fit into a 99 sunfire??
Friday, November 16, 2012 7:58 AM
**easily? or will it require some extra modification.

Saturday, November 17, 2012 7:27 AM
As like 45645756 have said and done already, any of them will work. Some are cut a tad different for auto or manual, but unless you are the most anal OCD individual ever and have to have things perfect it makes no difference what one you use. Case in point, this is my 97 GT with an 03 base cavalier automatic console:

The manual shift boot still snapped in place, as did the power window switch cover. It's all interchangable. Like i said, unless you are the most OCD individual ever and you have to have things PERFECT, the minor differences make no difference in the day to day use of the vehicle. If you want it PERFECT then yes make sure you get the one for your trans option and window options, but also note that the 2000 and up HVAC controls are recessed into the dash about 3 or 4 inches to make clearance for how far forward the cupholders are. That would require swapping the whole dash to make happen. A bit much work for extra cupholders. Again, minor difference that doesn't really matter. Don't buy the McFatty super jumbo extra large soda from Mcdonalds and you wont have issues with cupholders.

"Is that your exhaust or is that the sound of someone deflating a cat?"
Sunday, November 18, 2012 6:26 AM
ok yeah that's defiantly the console I was thinking. Found it in a somewhat local junkyard and its already a five speed console so that's no problem. But.. I cant remember if it has the coin holder or power windows. my 99 sunfire gt has power windows so I was wondering how hard it would be to make that work if it had the coin holder instead. will the windows switch just snap right in if you take out the coin holder?
Sunday, November 18, 2012 8:14 AM
the window switches will fit, but obviously you will need the matching switch cover for that style console like you see on mine. search the yard i'm sure you will find one with atleast the cover still there. If not, I have like 15 of them lying around. I always snag them with the switches along with shift boots. Never know when you need spares. You can have one should you really need it.

"Is that your exhaust or is that the sound of someone deflating a cat?"
Wednesday, November 21, 2012 10:06 PM
How much is involved to swap the radio and HVAC location from 99 and earlier to 00+ if I want to keep my 98 gauge cluster? I want to get an 00+ console and I really really hate the radio controls being three inches from the shifter. Plus the cup holder sucks and looks like it's designed to get soda all over the radio.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search