How-to: make rear windows roll all the way down - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How-to: make rear windows roll all the way down
Friday, June 09, 2006 10:38 AM
I did a quick search, and found the most recent write-up posts on this as being in 2005. I did this mod today, snapped a few pictures, and thought that maybe this info would help some fellow sedan owners

First things first. You will need to remove your door panels. Instructions can be found HERE. I went ahead and bought the tool to remove my window cranks, if not, you can use the rag method outlined in several posts in this forum, including the sticky.

Now you need to peel back the plastic sheet until you can see the styrafoam block stopping the window from rolling down:

There are two 10mm bolts holding it to the door. You can't see them in my pictures, the plastic kept falling back over them when I tried to get a picture. Look for them, it's the two going into the styrafoam. Be careful to not take out the bolts holding the window brackets in place! After you have the bolts out, the piece slides up a bit, then can be taken out of the door. This is the piece that you remove:

I put the bolts back into the piece so I wouldn't lose them if I ever wanted to replace the piece, as well as to help give you a visual as to their relative location.

Now if you want, put your door handle back on (minus the C-clip if you want to get it back off easy), and presto!

The rear window now rolls all the way down.

Replace the door panel (hook the window seal lip at the top on first, then press the rest of the clips in, making sure the handle goes through the hole or else it won't go on at all!), and repeat the process for the other side.

This project took me aproximately 30 minutes. It could be done faster than that, as I was taking pictures and had problems getting some of the screws back in the door (the ones on the interior handholds can be hard to line back up right, just don't force them, keep trying until they go in straight).

Comments appreciated

Re: How-to: make rear windows roll all the way down
Friday, June 09, 2006 10:43 AM
Sweet write-up...nice pics too...this should be a sticky itself.

My Car Domain
Re: How-to: make rear windows roll all the way dow
Friday, June 09, 2006 10:48 AM
Does this apply to power windows as well?

Friday, June 09, 2006 11:32 AM
Yes. it does. but mine came from the dealer like this. the windows have always gone all the way down. it must have been an option. but great write up.

Friday, June 09, 2006 8:54 PM
JBoDiED wrote:Does this apply to power windows as well?

From what I saw while searching, yes, it does. Obviously the door panel removal will be slightly different, but the rest would (I assume) be the same.

Thanks for the compliments

Friday, June 09, 2006 9:00 PM
Wojo wrote:Yes. it does. but mine came from the dealer like this. the windows have always gone all the way down. it must have been an option. but great write up.

That's because it was a "safety feature" added in 97 or 98. So the 1995-96 j-sedans didn't have the styrafoam blocks.

I work on Wall Street, but didn't force you to take out a loan you couldn't afford.
Saturday, June 10, 2006 6:49 AM
Did mine on the 2004 Cavalier sedan LS, about a month or so ago, took hardly any time at all, once you take off the door trim piece, is is real easy to see how the piece is in there and how it coms out, was a easy job, and the results are very nice, no more severe drag at highway speeds, and such. As far as a right up needed on this, I really don't think so.

I seen on here where someone said they did this, and I simply started looking at the rear doors, to see what I had to do, was not that hard at all, IMO. took my about 10-12 minutes or less per side, from start to finish.

ECOTEC now with Maximum Bolt-Ons!!
Saturday, June 10, 2006 4:50 PM
SiLvEr StRiPeY 04 wrote:Did mine on the 2004 Cavalier sedan LS, about a month or so ago, took hardly any time at all, once you take off the door trim piece, is is real easy to see how the piece is in there and how it coms out, was a easy job, and the results are very nice, no more severe drag at highway speeds, and such. As far as a right up needed on this, I really don't think so.

I seen on here where someone said they did this, and I simply started looking at the rear doors, to see what I had to do, was not that hard at all, IMO. took my about 10-12 minutes or less per side, from start to finish.

Having driven around with the windows fully down, I have to agree about the drag, and it seems a lot quieter too.

I know it's a fairly simple topic, but in my search I did see a few people saying they'd like pictures before they went to take stuff apart. There's always people like that, I'm usually one myself. At the worst, it was a waste of 15 minutes for me to post it... at best, it helps someone

Sunday, June 18, 2006 7:21 PM
Here is a Q for you guys that have done this mod. Now that you have taken that piece out, will the window roll off the gear if you roll the window down too much? or is there a second piece to stop it when the window is rolled all the way down?
Sunday, June 18, 2006 8:15 PM
I made a write up about this almost 2 years ago. Yay.

Monday, June 19, 2006 12:15 AM
The windo stays on the gear when you roll the window down all the way. The only downside to this mod is that your dog might jump out the back window. :p

- Interior FAQ -
J-Body of Michigan -

Monday, June 19, 2006 3:14 PM
NICE write up. I did my last summer (98 sedan power windows) look the same as what you got there. Defiantly an easy mod, only prob is it takes nine years to roll your windows up and down!
Monday, June 19, 2006 6:46 PM
This post inspired me to do my own. It didn't take too long. I don't mean to thread jack, but I took some pictures and thought they might help.

The tool I bought from AutoZone to take off the handle. It was $5.45 after tax.

Here's a close up of behind the handle. Note how the clip is positioned in reference to the rest of the handle.

Here's the door without the handle on it.

Picture of the car with all 4 windows all the way down.

Close up of the window all the way down.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 2:14 PM
I did this mod today, it works great and its really easy. Good job.
Sunday, July 23, 2006 9:38 AM
Just finished this mod on my 97 Sedan. Power windows makes it a snap to do.

Thanks
Sunday, July 23, 2006 10:29 PM
this is one of the best mods for a 4-door....i did it when i first got mine

Thursday, July 27, 2006 3:14 PM
Just a Q for you all that have done this. Does that piece of styrofoam help insulate the door at all. I have plans to add 2x6 to the back doors and was thinking maybe I would have a lot more rattle without the piece in there? Is there any truth to this or is it purly a soft item for the window to rest/stop on?

Thanks guys.
Friday, July 28, 2006 11:13 AM
Stoli Boy wrote:Just a Q for you all that have done this. Does that piece of styrofoam help insulate the door at all. I have plans to add 2x6 to the back doors and was thinking maybe I would have a lot more rattle without the piece in there? Is there any truth to this or is it purly a soft item for the window to rest/stop on?

Thanks guys.

It's a hard block, and as small as it is, I doubt it does anything against exterior noise. If you're wanting your doors to be quiet, dynomat/fatmat/whatever them.

Saturday, July 29, 2006 8:22 AM
The block does not make any difference to the sound.
Like alkatmsu said use dynomat
Sunday, March 04, 2007 4:42 AM
Awesome write up, i am going to try this again today, with out that tool its tricky to get them cranks off, i used a rag on i or 2 before, and two flateheads on the others last time i had my cranks off.
Thanks

98 j-body sedan

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 10:44 AM
Bump, and this should be stickied. would have saved me from searching and digging up an old post.

Nice write up btw.

1/4 Mile ET 15.2579 at 89.97mph

Sunday, May 10, 2009 11:21 AM
I'm tempted to attempt this on my wife's Malibu. I hate half windows! Though with power windows, is it really bad for speed? Or is it just htat it takes a little longer than most are used to?
Sunday, May 10, 2009 12:54 PM
I wouldn't think so but the worst that could happen is it is and you put the block back in.

Sunday, May 10, 2009 5:19 PM
Slide81 wrote:I'm tempted to attempt this on my wife's Malibu. I hate half windows! Though with power windows, is it really bad for speed? Or is it just htat it takes a little longer than most are used to?

It will be fine with power windows. Obviously because they're going all the way down instead of only halfway down, it will take another second or two for them to get all the way down, but it's nothing major. I did it on my '02 Sunfire Sedan with power windows and my mom's '98 Sunfire Sedan with power windows and it never hurt anything on either car.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search