Aftermarket steering wheel install? - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Aftermarket steering wheel install?
Wednesday, June 14, 2006 10:18 PM
Any one have a how to? I wasnt going to do this but my interior needs it. I have the wheel and getting a Momo hub.
thanx
Jon

Re: Aftermarket steering wheel install?
Monday, June 19, 2006 3:36 PM
was a pretty simple deal, once u take the stock wheel off, set the hub on, screw it on then just screw the steering wheel to the hub, only difficult part will be the horn and i think the install on that kinda varies depending on what wheel u get. i got the tenzo wheel from jason and it took me maybe 15 min. to figure out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Monday, June 19, 2006 4:35 PM
- Have the wheel straight before u do any of this..
- Disconnect - terminal
- Pull airbag fuse, let car sit for 10min and then press brakes(some say this step isnt needed.. i didnt do this or the second step listed here but i list just for ur safety..)
- 2 10mm(maybe 7mm.. cant remember.. doing this by memory..) bolts on the back of the wheel hold the airbag in, the bolts will not fall out so just unbolt them till teh airbag comes free.
- Disconnect the airbag connector, horn, and negative lead
- Remove Steering wheel nut(unsure of size.. sorry)
- Use steering wheel puller and remove the wheel(be sure when tighten the bolts down for the puller to tighten them evenly.. dont tighten one all teh way down then do the next one, chance of breaking the bolt in the wheel
- Remove C-clip on the shaft, then pull out the Airbag clock spring(white/yellow plastic circle behind the wheel)
- Disconnect the airbag clock spring by following the wire to a connector
- Take your MOMO hub and line the top hole striaght up and make sure the arrow is also pointing up. (the square hole in the MOMO hub should be right infront/ontop of the hole for the horn wire to go into)
- Tighten the Steering wheel nut
- Install horn wire(varies each wheel but get me pic of the wheel and horn wires and i can easily help you out)
- Set and align wheel on hub and tighten all ur screws
- Insert fuse and reconnect the - terminal
- Test horn
- Start car and constantly turn wheel back in forth and make sure the wheel is on securely.. increase how hard u turn as u keep turning..

Thats basically the how-to of what i did.. after reading through it multiple times i cant think of any step i've might have missed..

Thursday, June 22, 2006 8:12 AM
I like the genII z24 steering wheels before 1992, can you fit one of those onto a genIII (1998)?

Has anyone done it or can you tell me how?
Thursday, June 22, 2006 9:21 AM
Same procedure as mentioned above, only you don't need the hub. It's not a bad idea. Defineitely cheaper. Thos wheels o on ebay for $20.00 or so. If I'm not mistaken, mast GM steering wheels, at least for the cars, are interchangeable before airbags. An old Trans Am wheel might look pretty slick too!

Gotta keep on livin', L-I-V-I-N
Tuesday, November 21, 2006 10:13 AM
Manta Z(The Primered One) wrote:- Have the wheel straight before u do any of this..
- Disconnect - terminal
- Pull airbag fuse, let car sit for 10min and then press brakes(some say this step isnt needed.. i didnt do this or the second step listed here but i list just for ur safety..)
- 2 10mm(maybe 7mm.. cant remember.. doing this by memory..) bolts on the back of the wheel hold the airbag in, the bolts will not fall out so just unbolt them till teh airbag comes free.
- Disconnect the airbag connector, horn, and negative lead
- Remove Steering wheel nut(unsure of size.. sorry)
- Use steering wheel puller and remove the wheel(be sure when tighten the bolts down for the puller to tighten them evenly.. dont tighten one all teh way down then do the next one, chance of breaking the bolt in the wheel
- Remove C-clip on the shaft, then pull out the Airbag clock spring(white/yellow plastic circle behind the wheel)
- Disconnect the airbag clock spring by following the wire to a connector
- Take your MOMO hub and line the top hole striaght up and make sure the arrow is also pointing up. (the square hole in the MOMO hub should be right infront/ontop of the hole for the horn wire to go into)
- Tighten the Steering wheel nut
- Install horn wire(varies each wheel but get me pic of the wheel and horn wires and i can easily help you out)
- Set and align wheel on hub and tighten all ur screws
- Insert fuse and reconnect the - terminal
- Test horn
- Start car and constantly turn wheel back in forth and make sure the wheel is on securely.. increase how hard u turn as u keep turning..

Thats basically the how-to of what i did.. after reading through it multiple times i cant think of any step i've might have missed..

Highlighted above, is that whats in front of the car, behind the absorber or whatever? FYI, I know where the horn is hehe.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Tuesday, November 21, 2006 11:39 AM
im talking as once the airbag comes free from teh wheel.. there will be a thick yellow wire and yellow connector along with 2 wires fro teh hole connected to the wheel.. u gotta undo them to seperate the airbag from teh wheel.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 12:10 PM
Ahhhhh I c what your sayin,, thanks man

306 TQ
Wednesday, November 22, 2006 2:29 PM
How in THE hell do you remove that C clip thats on the shaft? Ive been on it for 20 mins with a flathead and needle noses.. Grrr

306 TQ
Wednesday, November 22, 2006 3:59 PM
i just riped it off.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 6:31 PM
Lol, thats what I did..

On a side note, does anybody know how to wire the horn? I have the tenzo wheel and momo hub..

Pictures of how everything lines up would be great

306 TQ

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 7:07 PM
as for the ring.. snap ring plyers are what u need.. they go in those lil two holes then u squeeze the plyers and it prys them apart..

As for the horn.. simple.. mainly what is needed is how many wires are there coming from the horn button?

If on that means there using the backing of the wheel as a ground on the hub.. then all u gotta do is take the power wire with the spring part and stick it in the hole like the stock one was.. If its just 1 wire with no spring.. u can cut the one off ur stock wheel and solder it onto the wire or do what i did.. i stripped some of the coating on the wire off, then soldered a "ball" on the end.. then just fed the wires down to make contact with the lil plate for the horn.. pushed it down there till the horn worked then taped it in place across the whole.. works fine.

If its two wires.. just ground one wire to the hub.. i just used electrical tape and taped it to the back of the hub.. like the back of the plate where the wheel bolts onto it. then just do the power wire like said above

Friday, November 24, 2006 6:00 PM
Thanks, well before reading this we couldnt figure out how to do the horn still But I still got the wheel installed..

I know I read before, but what do you I do to make the airbag light go off? I still have the fuse in.. Just not sure how to make that light go off..

Thanks.

306 TQ
Friday, November 24, 2006 8:58 PM
I went over to David's and tried to figure it out. I'm clueless....

You have the airbag cover, where those 2 black connectors are. I'm assuming those are the pressure sensors?? There are 2 RED wires going into a spring that has a white tube and a flat piece of metal at the end.

???

Then you have the piece that has the little clip with the 2 BLACK wires, goes into the steering column. Again....

???

And how the hell are you supposed to get the grounding plate, horn button and the cover on the hub? The horn button has a c-clip I'm guessing is used for the ground, and I can get it on, but the screws they provided are not long enough to grab the hub and tighten down. Are you supposed to use the flat-headed screws to tighten it down, then un-screw those and then use the more round-headed screws????

I hate giving up on something.....

2000 Camaro V6.
| SLP Loudmouth | CAI Intake | HID's |

Saturday, November 25, 2006 6:39 PM
You can not make the light go off by removingthe fuse. The best thing to do is open up the dash, remove the cluster, and place a piece of electrical tape behind the gauge face where the airbag light is. It's how I did mine, and I've never seen the light since.

Gotta keep on livin', L-I-V-I-N
Saturday, November 25, 2006 8:01 PM
why dont u just go buy the resistor and do it the right way not ghetto rigging with tape
Monday, November 27, 2006 4:01 AM
^^ lol So what does the resistor do? Explain?

306 TQ
Monday, November 27, 2006 5:00 AM
its what they call the airbag simulator it tricks the computer into thinking the airbag is still there
Monday, November 27, 2006 5:19 AM
Ahhh I c, do you happen to know where I could get one?

306 TQ
Monday, November 27, 2006 7:15 AM
any electronics parts store should be able to get it for u but i dont remeber the resistance right off hand you can search for it or i can post it when i get home makes the job alot easier
Monday, November 27, 2006 11:39 AM
Whinin(BLWN Z24) wrote:I went over to David's and tried to figure it out. I'm clueless....

You have the airbag cover, where those 2 black connectors are. I'm assuming those are the pressure sensors?? There are 2 RED wires going into a spring that has a white tube and a flat piece of metal at the end.

???

Then you have the piece that has the little clip with the 2 BLACK wires, goes into the steering column. Again....

???

And how the hell are you supposed to get the grounding plate, horn button and the cover on the hub? The horn button has a c-clip I'm guessing is used for the ground, and I can get it on, but the screws they provided are not long enough to grab the hub and tighten down. Are you supposed to use the flat-headed screws to tighten it down, then un-screw those and then use the more round-headed screws????

I hate giving up on something.....

2000 Camaro V6.
| SLP Loudmouth | CAI Intake | HID's |

Monday, November 27, 2006 5:45 PM
the airbag resistor value 2.2ohm 1/4w take this resistor connect it to the two wires the airbag use to be connected to and no more light
Tuesday, November 28, 2006 4:24 AM
david you may not need to use that grounding plate. i just took the ground from the horn and attached it to the steering wheel bolt. then attached the power wire up. if you cant figure it out message me and i'll try and get you a pic tonight of mine.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Tuesday, November 28, 2006 7:58 AM
David.. if u get me some pics ill try and draw it out for u if jason cant help ya.

Sunday, December 10, 2006 6:05 AM
what about a quick release hub?? does the horn still work with that? may do this mod in the near future.

Click on my sig to check out my CarDomain site. Enjoy!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search