How To Change the color of your 95-99 cluster gauges w/ LED's - Page 8 - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: How To Change the color of your 95-99 cluster gauges w/ LED's
Monday, October 15, 2007 10:33 AM
hey scott go give your buddy a swift kick and tell him to hurry the whole org is waitin on him lol

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 1:58 PM
OK, I don't have an 00+, and I've never had the cluster in my hand, but do you have to remove the needles? I'm just wondering why you wouldn't just remove the circuit board from the back of the cluster and not touch the front? I know you can do this on the 95-99's.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 6:59 PM
Because the lamps are surface-mounted to the front of the circuit board, which is inside the cluster.

I already told everyone in my previous post what they're going to experience, because I've already done it. Several times.

There isn't a way to do it without breaking it, sorry guys. It just can't be done. If you think you're going to miraculously discover something I didn't.... go for it. I wish you all the luck in the world.

...j

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 9:36 PM
theres no harm in trying...just like how i figured out how to remove the hvac bulbs without busting them...i MIGHT find a "trick" to get the needles off without breaking them...and if not maybe still figure out a differnt solution...it seems that enough people on here want the mod to at least try...to mad no one has an extra cluster ..seems like SOMEONE would

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 10:59 PM
i saw a 00 cluster in the classifieds earlier

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 11:22 PM
How much would an 00 cluster normally cost from a junker???

I gotta drive past a yard to get to my dads house anyways, and can just stop by and see if they have one.
Thursday, October 18, 2007 3:15 AM
i usually get pricing around here for them to be $15 - $30. but that's just here. could be different near you.

http://www.myspace.com/fpsunfire
5 seconds to find another street...
Thursday, October 18, 2007 7:16 AM
Everythings more expensive in Canada, eh?

Not bad.... Ill try and remember when i go over saturday.
Thursday, October 18, 2007 7:26 AM
I dont need a WORKING cluster..thats why i dont buy from the classifieds...i can use a broken cluster just as well...all i need to do is figure out a way to get the needles off

Thursday, October 18, 2007 12:31 PM
John Lenko wrote:Because the lamps are surface-mounted to the front of the circuit board, which is inside the cluster.

I know the lamps are mounted right to the board, but my question was more along the lines of how to get the circuit board out. I know on 95-99 clusters, it's possible to remove the circuit board without touching the front of the cluster, because the motor units for the gauges just unplug from the board. I'm not familiar with the 00+. I don't have a cluster I'm looking to mod, I was just curious, and offering a suggestion of another possible approach.

Thursday, December 13, 2007 12:09 PM
my friend has a 99 fire that im working on. i want to change the colors out on the cluster. we are doing led but i want to know the different colors i can go with because of that red film. i hear blue will make it kinda purple. what color would i use if i wanted to make the cluster pink. would a pink led show thru pink or more of a red. does anyone have a list of colors i can do?

Thursday, December 13, 2007 12:29 PM
Well, I've never personally seen a pink LED, but ya never know.

Bottom line is that the red film is a very strong filter, so you're not going to be able to overpower it like with the Cavalier clusters that have a very light green. And if you think about your question regarding pink, if a white bulb shows red, and pink is closer to red than white is, why would it not just show red?

Thursday, December 13, 2007 12:50 PM
see im really starting to hate these clusters. my honda is so much easier lol.

i get what your saying about the pink/red. hmm this may just be a try and error. guess ill order up my pink leds and go from there
Friday, December 14, 2007 7:56 PM
if you mix purple and red it makes hot pink..........

and what kind of bulb goes into the HVAC i know its a 74 but what kind???

and is there anyway to use the stock sockets without buying new ones or is it out of the question ???

Saturday, December 15, 2007 9:31 AM
scott (section8cav) wrote:theres no harm in trying...just like how i figured out how to remove the hvac bulbs without busting them...i MIGHT find a "trick" to get the needles off without breaking them...and if not maybe still figure out a differnt solution...it seems that enough people on here want the mod to at least try...to mad no one has an extra cluster ..seems like SOMEONE would
I've had them apart, and I've done stuff to the inside of the clusters. The only way to do this without messing up anything is to keep turning the needles as you pull up on them slowly... you just keep turning them as you pull...

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 3:39 PM
Slytly Twiztid wrote:if you mix purple and red it makes hot pink..........

and what kind of bulb goes into the HVAC i know its a 74 but what kind???

and is there anyway to use the stock sockets without buying new ones or is it out of the question ???

so your saying if i got UV leds and put them behind the sunfire gauges i would get pink? if so shes gonna love it and i need to get some ordered. please let me know
Thursday, December 20, 2007 9:08 AM
I'm betting that the best way to get pink would be just bright white LEDs. I'm doubting that UV filtered through red would get you pink. Blue might get you purple. UV LEDs do not emit very much visible light, although they are purple.

Saturday, December 22, 2007 10:31 PM
Well i had black light neons and in the rest of the car i had red lights and where they met in the middle was hot pink.... so i had a few female friends who wants me to do a pink light display for their amps... so i took a black light neon and a red neon placed them side by side and then put an etched piece of plexiglass over it and it would light up hot pink... in the other car i done the same out from under seats and the light came out hot pink........

as far as your question, i think yes it would light up hot pink... but i can't say for sure because i done it with neons not led's... but the uv led's i used to have where bright as all get out and they would make hot pink as well but that is when they mixed with the red from the neons... but they were streetglow license plate led's so they was bright as @!#$

Sunday, December 23, 2007 1:56 PM
Interesting. The UV LEDs that I have do not emit very much visible light at all. Maybe some UV ones are less UV than actual purple? Sounds interesting with the mix giving you hot pink.

Sunday, January 06, 2008 3:13 PM
i have a question about the LEDS can you use the roller on the side of the steering wheel to dim the lights? and i have a 96 2.2 cavalier and it doesn't have a tech in it so i'm looking to put a 96 z24 cavalier cluster in it but is it a direct swap?

Sunday, January 06, 2008 3:59 PM
justin stockdall wrote:i have a question about the LEDS can you use the roller on the side of the steering wheel to dim the lights? and i have a 96 2.2 cavalier and it doesn't have a tech in it so i'm looking to put a 96 z24 cavalier cluster in it but is it a direct swap?

Yes, and yes.

Sunday, January 06, 2008 8:40 PM
so if its a direct swap do you guys know of someone with z24 cavalier cluster for sale?

Monday, January 07, 2008 8:12 AM
Wednesday, January 09, 2008 12:10 PM
thanks i have been looking for one for a while

Saturday, April 26, 2008 10:46 PM
Is it possible to remove the red film on the Sunfire guages? Like is it just a peice of colored translucent plastic or is it an actual film stuck on there? I hate my red ones with a passion (they don't match at all) and would love to do a different color.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search