How To Change the color of your 95-99 cluster gauges w/ LED's - Page 9 - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: How To Change the color of your 95-99 cluster gauges w/ LED's
Sunday, April 27, 2008 3:43 PM
rkm1989 wrote:Is it possible to remove the red film on the Sunfire guages? Like is it just a peice of colored translucent plastic or is it an actual film stuck on there? I hate my red ones with a passion (they don't match at all) and would love to do a different color.

You'd have to replace the gauge face. The orange/red comes from the inner layer of plastic which is part of the gauge face... can't separate it from the rest of it.

Sunday, April 27, 2008 8:34 PM
Dang, I was afraid of that...oh well, on to the junkyard

Sunday, September 07, 2008 5:44 PM
Bump

Any progress on the 2000+ LED color swap?

Watching and waiting on this one.

Under Construction
Tuesday, September 09, 2008 7:16 PM
i have yet to find a broken 2k cluster that i can experiment with...all the broken ones around here are older ones...if ANYONE you know had a cluster go bad but itll still light up send it too me !! ill pay the shipping..i need something to work with

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 12:29 PM
i will keep my eye out for one because i am definitely interested in this.

ill steal one if i have to hahahaha

Under Construction
Saturday, October 18, 2008 8:49 PM
scott (section8cav) wrote:i have yet to find a broken 2k cluster that i can experiment with...all the broken ones around here are older ones...if ANYONE you know had a cluster go bad but itll still light up send it too me !! ill pay the shipping..i need something to work with

looks like this thread hasnt been active in a "bit" but figured id post anyway ...

just curious if you have found the 2k cluster you are looking for yet, today I was at the you pull it yard and there are always cavaliers instock just about any year you can think of, they restock constantly .

im not sure where you live but i noticed you mentioned shipping so you might be able to contact them (if not in the pa area) and see if they can pull and ship one for you.

they are listed on their price sheet for 13.00 (us) so it may be worth it to try if you have no other options

the site is
www.wegotused.com

3 locations

Allentown pa (610) 433-9901
west hazleton pa (570) 459-9901
pennsburg pa (215 541-9950

hope it is of some help..

and now on the note of changing colors with leds I gotta tell ya how happy I am, I did this today with my lights and it came out awesome, I was getting bored with the stock yellowish lights (that seemed to be getting dimmer,yes I checked the dimmer switch and it wasnt the problem) so I checked out pepboys,autozone and advance auto parts and couldnt find green to go with the exterior od my car(found them online a few minutes ago but i was impaitiant with wanting to do the swap) so I went with blue and I gottta say im happier with the color then I thought id be..

the picture really doesnt do it any justice as it was taken with my phone (sorry,camera battery was dead and this pic was an after thought) the blue came out really nice, the whole cluster came out like the darkest blue you see in the pic ,not the blueish whiteish mess you see..if i take a better pic ill try to go ahead and get it up instead of this one..

not sure what leds everyone else is using when theyn do this but the ones I found at pepboys are made by a company called "
PILOT" part number LI-194B (replace B with letter of corrosponding color, W=white,Y=yellow..ect ect im sure ya get the point)
they come in packs of two for about 9.00 (us)

as well I noticed another set at autozone I almost tried out of sheer curiousity but didnt, the single led changed 7 different colors in rotation, white,yellow,pink,green,blue,red, and I think orange... but I decided not to try since I didnt feel like making the return to the store after seeing it in action...

my next step is swapping out the lights in the hvac.. im gonna tinker around with custom templates and then when I find something I like go to the local office max and have them print it out a few times onto over head projection paper (which is just thicker clear plastic,almost like report covers) so that way the parts I want colored stay that way as well as dark parts dark and the parts the light will shine through will remain clear and shine through the color of the light..

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 10:42 AM
yea, the yard here in austin wants 100$ for a cavalier cluster..so yea, not getting one there haha
still open to try this if anyone is interested

Thursday, October 23, 2008 4:16 PM
hmm...noone told me not to remove the needles back when i got a face gauce cover for my 02. it was white with red numbers so i didn't need to change colors. i guess i was lucky. the only difference i had was instead of my fuel needle going past F when i fueled up, it stopped right on F. But, now i have a 99 z24 so i'm looking forward to putting in some leds.
Tuesday, October 28, 2008 9:21 PM
wow @!#$ i did it all tongiht but didnt know u had to change the bulb thingy to a new one so i am gonna go ahead and try it again tommorow or this weekend for sure but man it looks so nice ....
Friday, November 07, 2008 10:32 PM
i have an 01, glad i saw this thred b4 i took out my cluster. im starting on the HVAC. and see if I can do the head unit. anyone know about redoing the headunit? lately the top left corners ones will randmoly burn out when its cold. ive got a cassette head unit to try out first...

Working on obtainting an M-Class license... ?? Hint: 2 wheels.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 9:32 PM
not well if u havent got the red stuff off the back of the cluster...

Did I mention I drive a 2000 Lumina now?-----wigm-tuners.org member
Friday, December 05, 2008 4:37 PM
In the sunfires, there 5 bulbs!!! i ordered 4 and now have to wait for the last one to be shipped with my dash off. And honestly i dont think that red film makes a difference. the blue i have in mine doesnt seem to be the least bit affected. i think it just absorbs all the red light in the white light. so from my theory blue and green are good to go. dont yell at me if im wrong. ill post pics when i get my last light in. jus thought id add in for all the sunfire guys who are tired of there red gauges not matching anything!

Tuesday, December 09, 2008 8:36 AM
Why doesn't any of my bulbs light up?

I ordered my bulbs from superbrightleds.com and got the new sockets from the local part store. After taking each bulb out and rotating it.... still nothing. All the other lights work on the cluster though.

My Cav: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2435780
Tuesday, December 09, 2008 5:08 PM
Do you have the dimmer hooked up and turned up?

Tuesday, December 09, 2008 8:24 PM
i had the same problem with one of my bulbs. i just had to fiddle with it. swap the sockets out for different bulbs. jus tinker, if everything else is still working and your dimmer is hooked up, then it should work.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 1:44 PM
After tinkering with the sockets and rotating... they work.

My Cav: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2435780
Friday, December 12, 2008 11:56 AM
I had the same problem when i bought mine all worked but one. It is the bulb not the socket. Make sure that the tiny medel pronge on the bottom of the LEDS are straight and slide directly into the socket not sideways. That was my problem mine just tweaked enought to the side that it was not making contact so just line them up and you should be ok
Friday, December 12, 2008 2:26 PM
just as a side note on my 99 sunfire i found it was easier to break the HVAC bulbs then take a pair of needle noses and pull the bottom half of the socket out. the put in your new leds.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 6:26 PM
i used rubber tipped needle nose pliers 4 the hvac and my sockets will be here at 3pm tomarow

Thursday, February 12, 2009 9:51 AM
would blue leds look alright with the white faces gauges?

Monday, March 09, 2009 11:01 PM
Id like to do this but looking around for LEDs I have been not so lucky. Does anyone know a good website to get these LEDs that is cheaper for canadians? I looked at that superbrightleds.com but they want a minimum purchase of $25 with a shipping charge of $30 so I cant get them unless I spend minimum $55 which I dont think is legit just for some little LEDs. Anyone know of anything better?
Tuesday, March 10, 2009 5:35 PM
Ok nevermind that, I am just going to order the sockets and LEDs off that website because they are impossible to find at any parts stores here and that will make the shipping charge worth it. Just want to double check, these are the right sockets, they say 10mm but im not to sure if these will work can someone confirm that these ones will fit for me? Heres a link http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/T10_sockets.html PLEASE let me know ASAP so I can order them right away.

thanks,
Jullien
Saturday, March 21, 2009 8:43 AM
black cat custom does 2000+ clusters with leds. Can the hvac be replaced in the 2000+ without a lot of trouble?
Saturday, March 21, 2009 1:02 PM
hvac lights i mean.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search