Can I convert manual mirrors to power??? - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Can I convert manual mirrors to power???
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 4:13 AM
I'm a newbie here with a 99'. I would like to convert my mirrors. As far as I know there is no extra plug in the door panel because my windows are also manual. Could I wire the switches for the mirrors to the fuse block or tap into the dash harness somewhere to make the mirrors work?. Thanks in advance!

Re: Can I convert manual mirrors to power???
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 4:19 AM
Sure can. I did the Grand Am a couple of years ago. I just bought a fuse box "tap" and grabbed the +12 volts there. You will need to fab up the wiring and find the mirrors, switches, and bezel.

Labrat
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 7:11 PM
Labrat wrote:Sure can. I did the Grand Am a couple of years ago. I just bought a fuse box "tap" and grabbed the +12 volts there. You will need to fab up the wiring and find the mirrors, switches, and bezel.

Thanks Labrat. Can you elaborate a little for me?. I'd like to go the junkyard this weekend.
Sunday, March 29, 2009 6:36 PM
Well I went to the junk yard today and found a nice driver side power mirror, inside switch panel and plenty of harness for both sides. I know the yellow, green and white control the motor direction and I'm assuming the black is ground and orange is hot. I tried hooking up the wires to my battery to test the mirror but it didn't do anything?

Maybe the mirror I picked is bad or the wires are not hooked up correctly?? Can anybody point me in the direction?. I'm just trying to test the mirror before installing it. Thanks
Thursday, April 02, 2009 4:04 AM
Oh well, it looks like my mirror is bad because the switch is getting 12v like it should. Does it matter if I grab a set of mirrors off a 2 door model or do they have to be off a 4 door model?
Thursday, April 02, 2009 4:23 AM
Sorry Jim, I did not see this thread until today. Can't be much more help thou. I bought new aftermarket mirrors and they did work. I don't know about the 2 door 4 door question. Maybe try to cross reference the numbers. Hope it works out for ya.

Labrat
Thursday, April 02, 2009 8:39 AM
2 door and 4 door mirrors are different the 4 door mirrors sit different than the 2 dr mirrors

Thursday, April 02, 2009 4:19 PM
Labrat- no problem. Krzy- thanks.
Thursday, April 02, 2009 8:13 PM
My 95 does not have power windows or door locks, but it had the wiring for the mirrors, but had manual mirrors. I bought new mirrors and switch. I bought a used interior piece for the switch from ebay.

Friday, April 03, 2009 4:08 AM
sanddemon wrote:My 95 does not have power windows or door locks, but it had the wiring for the mirrors, but had manual mirrors. I bought new mirrors and switch. I bought a used interior piece for the switch from ebay.

You're lucky! I've only seen the mirror harness in cars that had power windows. All the base models that I have pulled door panels off of "without" PW only had the speaker wires in the doors. I'm picking up one new passenger mirror today. I already have a good switch and the harness connections. After I install everything I'll do a write up in case anybody else is interested.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search