Katzkin - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Katzkin
Tuesday, April 06, 2010 7:54 PM
Anyone use "Katzkin" seat covers? How do they look? Pics?

—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-

Re: Katzkin
Tuesday, April 06, 2010 8:08 PM
i do ..

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 8:18 PM
Hmm, those look pretty nice!

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 8:23 PM
How much those set you back if you dont mind me asking?

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 9:14 PM
i have two ... i forgot about the black one.. but the tan one was like 100 shipped on ebay brandnew .. still in its box.

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 9:15 PM
just so you know they're more then just throw over seat covers. your stock seat cover will need to removed for them to work. a lot better to have a shop do them.

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 12:08 PM
yeep - i installed a kit last year. $749.00 for an all black kit.
http://www.shopsar.com/katzkin-leather-upholstery-center-s/550.htm
my wife saw them on the rachel ray show and since they are in new york, i installed there too. came out awesome and my auto group has been usin them too ever since. so far ive referred i think somethin around 40-50 people to them.
Wednesday, April 07, 2010 1:23 PM
Id like a set for the rear since Im trying to hunt down some leather fbody seats and Id like the backs to match. I wonder how well they would match stock GM leather.

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 1:40 PM
Katzkin is the shiz. Had them for over 7 years. I definitely recommend them. They're not seat covers, they're actual new seating surfaces.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Wednesday, April 07, 2010 8:51 PM
sickness. I'm gonna be getting some of these. It hard to replace the stock covers with these, or should I have them done?

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 9:43 PM
just get them done.

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 10:14 PM
those look nice! i was always wondering what they actually look like in the car is that full leather or is it the leatherette?

Thursday, April 08, 2010 11:00 AM
What did you guys recover the carpet pieces in the door with?

Thursday, April 08, 2010 4:39 PM
TheSundownFire (GME Chat) wrote:What did you guys recover the carpet pieces in the door with?

when you buy the kit they come with replacements for the carpets on the door.

Thursday, April 08, 2010 5:58 PM
we use them at work. excellent product. and you get a piece for any part you want to cover.

Thursday, April 08, 2010 7:22 PM
I had worked for a automotive place several years back, about 90% of the upolstery kits we used were katzkin...

they worked really well and came out looking great everytime..

the problem you will run into doing it yourself is skining your old fabric from the seats themself,some seats are glued on entirely while others held in place by a combination of small metal spines/rods that are molded into the foam of the seat... if you look at the car seats in the pics above you will see the creases/lines in the leather.. (just an example) there will then be corrosponding metal spines/rods stiched into the leather of the seat cover.. they flip the cover inside out and roll it down over the seat useing metal rings (like little jump rings ) to hold the spines/rods on the leather to the spines/rods molded into the foam.. then as the leather is wrapped underneath the seat bottomes more rings are used to hold it in place..

on a cavalier.. its all just glued into place with upolstery glue from a spray gun,leather is turned inside out,seat is sprayed,leather is sprayed then allowed to dry for a minute or two to get tacky,leather is then rolled down into place and usually you can use the side of your hand to run the creases of the leather kit into the creases in the foam then allowed to dry..

if you have access to a spray gun and upolstery glue and have any type of paitence you can easily do it in a matter of two to three hours by yourself...amount of time includes pulling all seats from the car,skinning them (without just ripping chunks of foam with the fabric),re skining them with leather and letting them dry a bit before putting them back in..

four guys per car we were able to gut,strip,skin and restuff a car in under an hour taking our time..one guy per seat,and fourth guy doing door and console trim..

it would save a bit of money doing it yourself but if you do make sure you have a clear understanding what your getting into..ive seen alot of garbage come into the shop with poeple haveing us fix their mistakes.

good luck to you if you decide to try it on your own.

Thursday, April 08, 2010 9:23 PM
Got Chevy? wrote:I had worked for a automotive place several years back, about 90% of the upolstery kits we used were katzkin...

they worked really well and came out looking great everytime..

the problem you will run into doing it yourself is skining your old fabric from the seats themself,some seats are glued on entirely while others held in place by a combination of small metal spines/rods that are molded into the foam of the seat... if you look at the car seats in the pics above you will see the creases/lines in the leather.. (just an example) there will then be corrosponding metal spines/rods stiched into the leather of the seat cover.. they flip the cover inside out and roll it down over the seat useing metal rings (like little jump rings ) to hold the spines/rods on the leather to the spines/rods molded into the foam.. then as the leather is wrapped underneath the seat bottomes more rings are used to hold it in place..

on a cavalier.. its all just glued into place with upolstery glue from a spray gun,leather is turned inside out,seat is sprayed,leather is sprayed then allowed to dry for a minute or two to get tacky,leather is then rolled down into place and usually you can use the side of your hand to run the creases of the leather kit into the creases in the foam then allowed to dry..

if you have access to a spray gun and upolstery glue and have any type of paitence you can easily do it in a matter of two to three hours by yourself...amount of time includes pulling all seats from the car,skinning them (without just ripping chunks of foam with the fabric),re skining them with leather and letting them dry a bit before putting them back in..

four guys per car we were able to gut,strip,skin and restuff a car in under an hour taking our time..one guy per seat,and fourth guy doing door and console trim..

it would save a bit of money doing it yourself but if you do make sure you have a clear understanding what your getting into..ive seen alot of garbage come into the shop with poeple haveing us fix their mistakes.

good luck to you if you decide to try it on your own.

exactly.

Friday, April 09, 2010 6:05 PM
Got Chevy? wrote:...on a cavalier.. its all just glued into place with upolstery glue from a spray gun,leather is turned inside out,seat is sprayed,leather is sprayed then allowed to dry for a minute or two to get tacky,leather is then rolled down into place and usually you can use the side of your hand to run the creases of the leather kit into the creases in the foam then allowed to dry..

if you have access to a spray gun and upolstery glue and have any type of paitence you can easily do it in a matter of two to three hours by yourself...amount of time includes pulling all seats from the car,skinning them (without just ripping chunks of foam with the fabric),re skining them with leather and letting them dry a bit before putting them back in...
X2.

Even in this description, it sounds easier than it actually is for the novice. Having reupholstered a few vehicles myself before (not just installing skins, but actually making them first), I can tell you that getting the lines in the center of the seat properly set right isn't a simple task. It takes some skill, as well as a lot of patience. Unless you're the kind of person who has a knack for picking up skills quickly, I would spend the few hundred bucks to have them installed, and enjoy the end result.

Saturday, April 10, 2010 5:02 PM
i have a full tan set for sale also.

Saturday, April 10, 2010 5:09 PM
$?

Sunday, April 11, 2010 8:19 PM
azncav wrote:i have a full tan set for sale also.

Could I dye them? I hate tan

Monday, April 12, 2010 3:45 PM
azncav wrote:i have a full tan set for sale also.
Pics?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search