Gauge Pod Formed to Cluster... - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Gauge Pod Formed to Cluster...
Wednesday, January 12, 2011 9:18 PM
Here's another way for a gauge to be mounted...i don't know if anyone has done this yet (didn't search) but here it is anyway
Made from polystyrene so had to use epoxy resin (which wasn't too fun), then bondo (no pics), paint and mount (double sided tape)
Best thing about this is it fits in a "factory" location and can be removed, no holes or anything like that
hopefully the pics so up, i still don't know how to put them in here

Re: Gauge Pod Formed to Cluster...
Wednesday, January 12, 2011 9:25 PM
Looks very clean and well done , great job !
Wednesday, January 12, 2011 10:23 PM
Justin Smith wrote:very clean

Thursday, January 13, 2011 2:12 AM
A+ for the work you did
But what I think RoboticPotPie is saying is it looks a bit too clustered. I agree the install and work looks nice and clean, but now you dont have the other gauge functions visible.
I like em more hidden, like under the HVAC area or in the vents (which depending on where you live is not really an option).

but awesome work on a DIY project!!

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Thursday, January 13, 2011 2:13 AM
infact, what about much lower on the Apillar between the dash top and pillar? would be out of the way but still visible and look clean!

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Thursday, January 13, 2011 8:27 AM
RoboticPotPie wrote:
Justin Smith wrote:very clean

You can install it better ? im not talking about the look , im talking about the install lol ..
Thursday, January 13, 2011 9:43 AM
Quality looks great, but it's a bit too bulky for that location it seems. Similar Idea to what has been done a lot with the Cobalt's. May have worked out better if the bezel was removed and pod molded in.

Thursday, January 13, 2011 9:59 AM
Since that part of our dash comes out easily, I would have just moulded it to the dash itself...

Thursday, January 13, 2011 10:13 AM
good work, but not feelin the aesthetics.
Thursday, January 13, 2011 12:20 PM
^^^ this X2 but still clean as hell

2003 Cavalier
Stock 2.2 Liter, 5 speed
" Leave the rice to Uncle Ben's and the wings to KFC..
Go clean or go home. "

Thursday, January 13, 2011 2:50 PM
is that Styrofoam and what did you dip it in. Props on thinking out side the box.

Thursday, January 13, 2011 3:07 PM
you about nailed the stock color and texture very nice.

Thursday, January 13, 2011 4:49 PM
ya its pretty much styrofoam (polystyrene) same stuff used for flower arrangements, its coated in epoxy since you can't use fiberglass becuase it will melt the polystyrene since it has styrene in it

Thursday, January 13, 2011 5:07 PM
i think i'm gonna redo this in the spring since its mainly getting negative reviews

Thursday, January 13, 2011 8:40 PM
I agree that it looks sort of out of place or bulky right there, but you deffinetly have talent the quality is superb. I think if you just modify your pod make it a little less bulky you can pull it off in that spot. I like the concept of placing the gauge there.

Thursday, January 13, 2011 10:25 PM
I like how it has that factory-esque finish to it! Very nice work!

Personally I would try and do a pillar pod with that same finish so it resembles something like the cobalts boost gauge pod

But whatever works best for you man!

had a blown ecotec swapped 2000 cavy, now just an 02 Grand Am, and a 74 BMW 2002...
Friday, January 14, 2011 2:05 AM
Dude, like a lot of people said... Great job on matching texture and color...don't ditch it... Find another trim piece and mould it in slimer and you got your self a custom cluster... With your skill it should not be much of an issue

2003 Cavalier
Stock 2.2 Liter, 5 speed
" Leave the rice to Uncle Ben's and the wings to KFC..
Go clean or go home. "

Friday, January 14, 2011 5:09 AM
yeah the build quality of it looks nice, but the size and location dont work out as well. if you had build out the stock panel a bit instead of making its own seperate enclosure you could have made it half the size and not look so bulky. and then you could spray the whole piece so the color matches exactly instead of having the two contrasting colors.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Friday, January 14, 2011 6:14 AM
build one for the defrost vent in the center of the dash...

I always wanted one there... like a 3 pod

Saturday, January 15, 2011 8:24 AM
Mrs Jazer wrote:Quality looks great, but it's a bit too bulky for that location it seems. Similar Idea to what has been done a lot with the Cobalt's. May have worked out better if the bezel was removed and pod molded in.

This is what I'm currently playing around with...I like where the OP was going with his, but I think this option is much cleaner looking. I grabbed one of these for a Subaru off ebay, so it's time to start cutting it apart and see what happens, lol.

Saturday, January 15, 2011 9:23 AM
i dont dig the fact that you can see all the wires coming out of the bottom, or that you covered up all the lights on he left side. It has potential, but still needs some major redesign work.

Saturday, January 15, 2011 9:46 AM
I think this was a good idea. You could use this process just about anywhere inside.

Find a spot, mold a piece, yadda yadda...

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Sunday, January 16, 2011 11:51 PM
Luke C wrote:ya its pretty much styrofoam (polystyrene) same stuff used for flower arrangements, its coated in epoxy since you can't use fiberglass becuase it will melt the polystyrene since it has styrene in it

Thats what I was going to say how'd you get it to not melt. What kind of epoxy and what did you do to get that texture. I'm interested in getting that exact look for a console I'm doing for my Buick.

Saturday, January 29, 2011 8:38 PM
I used Evercoat marine 2 part epoxy (the stuff used on boats) and i believe it was SEM interior vinyl texture spray paint then the color match was from my dad ... All of this came from a professional body shop supplier that he works at

Monday, January 31, 2011 8:41 AM
cool thanks for the info

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search