Interior Paint!!!!! - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Interior Paint!!!!!
Thursday, May 12, 2011 6:17 PM
so im going to buy a 2002 z24 and the original owner painted the interior with black spray paint. everything the dash, door panels, and i don't think it looks good. so do you guys know of any products that will take the spray paint off and not ruin the original interior color. thanks guys i appreciate it.

Turbo lag is a courteous head start

Re: Interior Paint!!!!!
Thursday, May 12, 2011 6:44 PM
I am sure any type of paint thinner will do the trick but dont hold me to that it may eat into the pastic. I would look around some local junkyards and see what parts you could rip off a donor car.
Friday, May 13, 2011 6:12 AM
With plastic it's very tricky, due to the fact that usually what removes paint, also begins to bite into the plastic a bit.. Acetone, Lacquer thinner are bad bad ideas to use.

You might try, however Paint reducer, Precleaner (actually removes paint.. believe it or not, just VERY VERY MILDLY), and i did find this stuff when searching.
http://www.walthers.com/exec/manuinfo/359/Chameleon_Hobby_Products.html
http://dawhois.com/site/chameleonproductsonline.com.html

A water based, reusable paint stripper. I'm not sure how it works honestly, it might have to soak. but there is the answer to your question!

Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe.
-Saint Augustine
Friday, May 13, 2011 6:58 AM
alrighty well thanks for the input and ill try somethings and let you know how it turned out.

Friday, May 13, 2011 7:44 PM
why not paint it something you like?
Friday, May 13, 2011 11:51 PM
Lacquer thinner, don't worry abuot plastic decoloration, after that, apply Meguiar's Trim Detailer or Natural Shine for color restore.
Saturday, May 14, 2011 12:02 AM
seriously just go to the junkyard. interior trim pieces can be had for dirt cheap, and if you can find them not cracked chances are they'll look brand new in your car. that's y the interior is the only thing in or on my car that looks halfway decent anymore lol

Saturday, May 14, 2011 11:36 AM
i google searched it and one guy on a honda forum was saying he used brake fluid? i dont know if it would work though

Saturday, May 14, 2011 12:49 PM
ya it might work, but do you want the interior to smell like brake fluid for 2 or 3 days? Might as well take the money you'd spend "restoring" them and just find used decent ones like the others have said. If not at a junkyard, try craigslist or Ebay (last resort).
Saturday, May 14, 2011 10:59 PM
if they painted the interior "right" then they probably sanded the original pieces down before painting which will have messed with the original look wouldn't it?

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 5:29 AM
some people like the texture and don't sand the texture off, just depends on who painted it, if its smooth you can't go back to stock. if its not you possibly can. i'd just search the junkyards though. easiest option really.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 9:38 AM
yeah and find someone who wants already painted interior...thats what im about to do

Thursday, May 19, 2011 5:03 AM
I'd also search the yards for stock parts. If you want to strip painted parts, soaking them in Super Clean at full strength will remove the paint without harming plastic.

Jim
Friday, May 20, 2011 5:07 AM
97probe wrote:I'd also search the yards for stock parts. If you want to strip painted parts, soaking them in Super Clean at full strength will remove the paint without harming plastic.

^^ great to know. Go Castrol! lol

Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe.
-Saint Augustine
Friday, May 20, 2011 9:45 AM
the cleaning and restoring stuff will cost more than the parts themselves

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search