Sanding plastics for paint - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Sanding plastics for paint
Thursday, February 24, 2005 7:37 PM
how high of a grit should i go when sanding my cavy's hard interior plastics 600 grit maybe?

Re: Sanding plastics for paint
Thursday, February 24, 2005 8:00 PM
i used a wet sand type. @ 150 grit but then again i didnt sand mines down smooth i like the texture factory look but if u want it smooth go like 100,300, 600 wet sand also use krylon fusion or SEM paints neither require a primer but I personally primered with the krylon.

beer is like a chick.. well not really its just beer, it be cool thou huh?

Friday, February 25, 2005 12:43 PM
only need to go up to 300 or so to get it totally smooth. then primer with a high build primer, wetsand that with 400 grit, then spray. i'd highly suggest have a shop spray it or using a compressor and gun to spray it versus trying to rattle can it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Friday, February 25, 2005 1:10 PM
sndsgood wrote:only need to go up to 300 or so to get it totally smooth. then primer with a high build primer, wetsand that with 400 grit, then spray. i'd highly suggest have a shop spray it or using a compressor and gun to spray it versus trying to rattle can it.

exactly, the difference between rattle can and using an automotive spray gun is unbelievable. try and get ahold of a spray gun or pay someone who knows what they are doing, itll be worth it...

Friday, February 25, 2005 1:23 PM
would an airbrush work for interior parts? rather than air compressor?

Help me out over on redline forums, i need it...my s/n is atf1987 if it asks
Friday, February 25, 2005 2:37 PM
id go 220 to get it all even then smooth with a 400. prime seal and paint, then be uber sexy and sand it with a 1500 and buff!

Friday, February 25, 2005 3:01 PM
LNO95 wrote:would an airbrush work for interior parts? rather than air compressor?

it would take forever and a day...

Friday, February 25, 2005 3:24 PM
i stoped at 400 and it was sweet! next time im gonna stop at 600

Friday, February 25, 2005 4:28 PM
Well the only reason i dont wanna do the air compressor route is i dont have one/ or the money to buy one, i have no experience with it, and i really dont wanna bay someone a ton of maoney to do it...i guess it's rattle can...unless someone has other suggestions

Help me out over on redline forums, i need it...my s/n is atf1987 if it asks
Saturday, February 26, 2005 9:16 AM
You CAN get just as good of a paintjob from a rattle can as you can an airbrush or gun.

You can even get HOK urethane in cans. If you don't have access to a spray gun, use what you can get.

I did this model car with a rattle can...NO clear, NO wax, NO sanding..nothing. Just paint...

My point is....it's more technique then equipment.

Saturday, February 26, 2005 9:10 PM
i do custom interiors all the time.....

easiest way to get it looking smooth, without using a hell load of time is to go 60 grit, 100 grit, 220 grit........then sandable primer......then 300+ grit, and youre ready to apply paint.

fyi: this is not the fail proof way, as it actually requires alot more time, and a few more grits thrown in there.....but this works just fine for a non-show car...........

speed costs money, i have little money, so i have little speed. Donations are appreciated =)

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 4:56 PM
ive seen most people on heres technique, use a compressor lol

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Sunday, March 06, 2005 6:47 PM
yeah thanks for all the advice im done already i used the real thing (air compressor and a real paint gun) it look s good. ill get some pics soon. oh yeah i sanded with 80 120 150 220 400 and then 600 then used adhesion promoter after cleaning the parts then 2 coats of prime then 2 coats of paint and then 2 coats of clear looks really good
Sunday, March 06, 2005 9:16 PM
i used 180 to smooth the bumbs on the steering collem and then used 320 to get it smooth. Worked great for me

Saturday, September 01, 2007 6:35 AM
My point is....it's more technique then equipment.

very well put wysiwyg. I also do all my model cars with a spray can, kind of makes me feel like a proefssional painter when I do them that way.

"All men are created equal, only a select few become firefighters"
Saturday, September 01, 2007 8:57 AM
LMFAO. Why are you responding to a 2 1/2 year old post?

Sunday, September 02, 2007 10:03 AM
Quote:

LMFAO. Why are you responding to a 2 1/2 year old post?

I just saw the date it was posted d'oh

"All men are created equal, only a select few become firefighters"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search