hvac and radio swap - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
hvac and radio swap
Saturday, February 26, 2005 9:39 PM
is there any way to swap the location of the radio and HVAC controls in a 97 cavalier i mean can i move it so that the radio is on the top and the hvac panel is on the botton like in the newer models...

I AM the man from Nantucket

Re: hvac and radio swap
Saturday, February 26, 2005 9:44 PM
As far as i know you can't, you have to swap the whole dash from a 00+ in. I always wanted to do this also so i could get a flip out screen but i don't wanna take out the entire dash i've heard its a PITA! But yea im pretty sure u have to just swap the whole front dash.

Saturday, February 26, 2005 9:53 PM
i have a 97 sunfire and the hvac knobs are below the deck. i thought thats how covs are too. hmm
Sunday, February 27, 2005 8:21 AM
early 3rd gen cars, the Sunfire had the HVAC on bottom, but Cavy's were reversed. Though you can still put an in-dash in. You just have to make sure you either have a 5 spd and keep the knob pulled back when it folds out, or have an aftermarket knob on so it'll clear (the stock Auto knob is about a half inch too high). I set my screen not to auto-open. It stays either open, or closed when I turn the key off, depending on where I have it. So if it's closed, and I want to open it, I can do it as long as I'm not in park. If I want to close it again, I just do it before shifting into park. I usually leave it closed when I'm not in the car, just so people don't see it as obvious.

Brakes? I don't need no stinking brakes....I have air bags
http://members.cardomain.com/charlzo_2000
Sunday, February 27, 2005 11:24 AM
Sounds like a PITA to me......

I AM the man from Nantucket
Sunday, February 27, 2005 12:18 PM
JBod2304 wrote:is there any way to swap the location of the radio and HVAC controls in a 97 cavalier i mean can i move it so that the radio is on the top and the hvac panel is on the botton like in the newer models...

it is doable but i think you need to cut into the bar in behind the dash to get the cd player to fit. i looked into doing this switch in my 97 cav too and decided that at the time it wasn't worth the trouble. and like was mentioned above, you'll need to get the dash parts from a 2000+ cavy.

silly boys... body kits are for girls.
Sunday, February 27, 2005 11:26 PM
i swapped in the 2000+ cavy dash into my 98, check out my cardomain for some pics of the process

http://www.cardomain.com/id/z22styles

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Thursday, October 27, 2005 6:36 PM
z22sTyLeS wrote:i swapped in the 2000+ cavy dash into my 98, check out my cardomain for some pics of the process

http://www.cardomain.com/id/z22styles

I didn't see this metal piece that was mentioned in those pictures. Where was it, and would it be possible to just swap the HVAC and headunit locations (using the DIN adapter for the HVAC on the bottom) without swapping out the entire dash? I don't have time, money, or motivation for a full dash swap.

Saturday, February 11, 2006 7:43 AM
I hear ya... theres got to be an easier way

Saturday, February 11, 2006 12:48 PM
Most useless dig ever...

But, since my last post, I found the metal bar in my own car, and I don't think it'd be a good idea to cut it out... it's the same bar that the dash pad is attached to (the screws in the top of the glovebox), and I'm afraid it'd greatly weaken the dash structure.

Saturday, February 11, 2006 2:58 PM
I have my dash all ripped out and I have an idea... Im goin to remove that bar and weld a new piece that will route down in behind the new location of the Hvac just above the ash try.. that should keep it strong and also stop the dash from rattling, then it looks like ill have to fiberglass and new peice on the dash so i can mount my cd player to it.... seems like a lot of work but I love rippin sh&#! apart!! LOL Ill get some pics together over the next few days

Saturday, February 11, 2006 9:30 PM
just use the 00+ bar, it should fit!
Thats what i'll be doing this summer.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 6:20 AM
LOL your way sounds a lot easier! and smarte!!r but Im try'n to save a few bucks so I can buy more imortant things like air ride lol

Sunday, February 12, 2006 8:00 AM
i always wanned to put my cd player in the glovebox..
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search