Removing Interior Paint/Primer - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Removing Interior Paint/Primer
Thursday, March 16, 2006 1:26 PM
Alright, no, this isn't about how to do an interior, but rather somethign else . . .

Since its getting nice out again, me and my friend are going to be redoing our interiors of the cars. He has a Mazda 3, and I have an 05 Cavy. Now, I already read the kickass FAQ on how to make it like glass, so we'll probably end up trying that out, but here is the kicker . . .

How do you remove previous layers of paint & primer on plastic pieces? I know that most paint removers or strippers have some kind of acid in them and can damage the plastic if its used a lot. The only other method I can see using is just using a low grit sandpaper like 60 or so to sand off the other layers, but is this the best way? I don't want to end up messing the pieces up or having them come out like crap cause I didn't use a right method? So what would be a good method on removing as much paint/primer as possible without messing up the pieces?

Re: Removing Interior Paint/Primer
Thursday, March 16, 2006 2:46 PM
the only thing to dude is just sand and sand some more i just re did mine and mine turned out like glass

Thursday, March 16, 2006 3:08 PM
They do sell a paint remover or stripper that is used just on urethane and plastic. i believe Bulldog makes it. I used it once and it works but you still need to do some sanding afterwards. Otherwise....SAND SAND SAND....

Thursday, March 16, 2006 3:43 PM
Well... if you are happy with how it looks now, and just want a color change, you can sand off the clear coat and apply the new color (as long as the new color is darker and will cover the former color). Otherwise, if your not happy with the way the previous paint looked, and you want to redo it giving it the glossy look, I'd just suggest sanding it down to start from scratch. Good luck.

Wide Body Progress

Thursday, March 16, 2006 8:37 PM
Well, some panels have small scratch marks in them, so I'm figuring I'd have to sand to remove that. Thats why it caught my attention in the new FAQ on how to basically make it stratch resistant. How did that paint remover work out for you Splash? Did it pull a nice amount off, or would it just be better to sand anyways?
Sunday, March 19, 2006 12:34 PM
Just use a razor blade and scrape it off then use sand paper. it'll save alot of time and alot of sandpaper and everything else you use on the plasic parts.

Sunday, March 19, 2006 3:46 PM
Razor blade? Won't that scratch up the plastic underneath? Unless you use the razor and then sand off the excess and even the plastic. That could work?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search