Painted Dash Glare - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Painted Dash Glare
Thursday, February 08, 2007 10:52 AM
I am thinking of fiberglassing and painting my dash and i'm just curious, of those that have done it, how bad is the glare when driving? When i put protectant on it i get a decent amount of glare. I could only imagine what a smooth painted surface is like.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2002 Cavalier LS Sport -- IBM/G/A4 -- *SOLD*
2007 Cobalt SS/SC -- SOM/B/M5 -- *SOLD*
Looking for an Admiral Blue M6 Corvette
Turner Automotive-Corvette's Detailer/Web Designer/Photographer

Re: Painted Dash Glare
Friday, February 09, 2007 7:19 PM
There really isnt much of a glare at all atleast on mine:

[http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/2499000-2499999/2499700_6_full.jpg/img]

Tuesday, March 06, 2007 1:59 PM
I fiberglassed my dash and painted it lime green w/ 4 coats of clear, and i barely have a glare. the only time i have a bad glare is from my defrost vent wich is a bright white. depending on the color you should not have a problem!!!!
Wednesday, March 07, 2007 4:36 AM
paint some scrap piece the color u want and stick it on your dash and drive around and see how bad it is.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Wednesday, March 07, 2007 5:16 AM
i have pretty bad glare but mine is red so that might be the reason
Thursday, March 08, 2007 10:46 AM
i had silver and i had glre from hell...but meh..it looked cool
Thursday, March 08, 2007 10:32 PM
I had mine gloss black, and had no issues at all...

Friday, March 09, 2007 8:56 AM
dont paint it red u get a horrible glare it gets annoying as hell

13.1 @ 115
Saturday, March 10, 2007 12:59 AM
Mines indigo blue and it's not too bad...but on sunny days sunglasses are a must!

Eh...old man with a Corvette now...it was bound to happen sooner rather than later right?
Monday, March 12, 2007 5:42 PM
Totally Simple, The brighter ther coler the more glare you'll get. WHITE-Most Glare, BLACK-least glare. It doest really matter how Glossy or how many coats of clear you have. Just depends on how much light the color is going to reflect/absorb.

Monday, March 12, 2007 10:45 PM
you get used to the glare kinda...just test it out and see how you like it on some small pieces first.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 4:15 AM
Not mine, but I think of this pic whenever dash glare comes up in discussion.

This is from a different painting dash thread. It was posted by Jeanna Strickland -- she said it was her boyfriend's Neon she helped do some interior work on. I can only assume this is distracting at times.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, March 13, 2007 5:23 AM

Shop Manuals, Brochures:www.kenmcgeeautobooks.com
Tuesday, March 13, 2007 2:22 PM
I have no glare at all! I needed something as there were a lot of trees when driving to work and going from sun to shade meant not seeing well enough to stop quickly. What I did was get some rear deck covering in black and covered the area above the speedo. It's tucked in at the top under the snap in piece and then over the dash pad then between the gauge bezel and the dash pad. No glue was used and I can remove it in a couple of minutes if need be.

Blind Julius
Wednesday, March 14, 2007 3:36 PM
Blind Julius wrote:I have no glare at all! I needed something as there were a lot of trees when driving to work and going from sun to shade meant not seeing well enough to stop quickly. What I did was get some rear deck covering in black and covered the area above the speedo. It's tucked in at the top under the snap in piece and then over the dash pad then between the gauge bezel and the dash pad. No glue was used and I can remove it in a couple of minutes if need be.

Blind Julius

Whoa! Wassup, bro!!

My two cents... I only have the vent in the middle and I notice the reflection at times. With that in mind, there's no way I'd make my whole dash a light colour.

Thursday, March 15, 2007 1:37 PM
Hey Weas (and anybody else that might remember me) It has been a long time. I had some health issues to deal with (congestive heart failure, feet infections leading to losing my left leg below the knee and so on). I have to get my strength back so I'll be lurking about and if I can help I will.

Blind Julius
Thursday, March 15, 2007 2:08 PM
Really sorry to hear, bro.

Great to see you posting again though! I hope things just get better and better from here for you.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search