Ideas for an extra gauge for my pod? - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ideas for an extra gauge for my pod?
Monday, October 15, 2007 8:01 AM
I decided I wanted an interior voltmeter to try and manage my battery better for those stints were I run my stereo without the engine running. I was also thinking of using it as a visual aid for judging improvement from doing the "big 3" upgrade. I've was having trouble finding a single-gauge pod that didn't look stupid, so I settled on a two-gauge pillar-mounted pod. It would bug me to leave one hole empty, so my question is: What other sort of gauge would be the *least* useless for a bone-stock Cavalier? Some of my thoughts:

- Outside air temperature (these seem hard to find)
- A gauge-style wireless tire pressure monitor would be nifty, but nobody seems to make them.
- Oil Pressure (Mostly redundant with the car's idiot-light, but somewhat useful. Possibly a pain to install sending unit).

Any other ideas?

Shop Manuals, Brochures:www.kenmcgeeautobooks.com

Re: Ideas for an extra gauge for my pod?
Monday, October 15, 2007 9:03 AM
i always thought about exterior temp gauge, or even interior SPL meter.

the tire pressure monitor is a cool idea!

Monday, October 15, 2007 9:16 AM
return it and make your own as you originally wanted.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Monday, October 15, 2007 9:19 AM
SPL meter is an interesting idea. Maybe some sort of VU meter or graphic equalizer.

I just thought of a compass, too. Should be pretty simple. The problem is finding something that would work in a 52mm mount and not look dumb.

Monday, October 15, 2007 9:21 AM
Viper98912 wrote:return it and make your own as you originally wanted.

That looks nice, except that spot is currently occupied by a tweeter in my car. If my fabrication skills weren't so non-existent, I'd be temped to do something like that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, October 15, 2007 9:23 AM

Monday, October 15, 2007 2:42 PM
BOOST gauge FTW! then you can look at it and say man, I need to boost my car now...just kidding, get one of those 5 dollar pod covers to fill the empty one until you find something usefull to fill it with, or do something like tranny temp

Monday, October 15, 2007 4:45 PM
Tranny temp would have worked, though it would be along the lines of "whoa, my tranny is hot. I should either slow down or buy an intercooler". I think I've settled on an oil pressure gauge, since it's easier to find a matching pair of gauges that way. I sort of hoped the feedback would be more interesting to look at too. I gather there should be a location above my oil filter where I can screw in the sending unit.

Monday, October 15, 2007 11:50 PM
not to thread jack, but has anyone ever thought of putting a speedo in an A-Pillar double gauge pod???

It wouldnt serve an important purpose in the long run, seeing as there is obviously one in the cluster as well, but atleast it would be different
Tuesday, October 16, 2007 4:00 AM
I think that would be interesting if it were a digital speedometer, which would sort of serve the same purpose as a HUD. I've never seen a mini-gauge digital speedo, but maybe that something that can be done with that super-expensive "D-Pic" unit that Autometer sells that does 0-60 calculations and G-force readings.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 7:55 PM
JUd... something im really going to miss haha.. Learned to drive on an aztek with a HUD. Something about seeing the EXACT speed.. and just the push of a button to convert to MPH (im canadian)

Really would be interesting if someone made a digital speedo. It would be alot easier to see it in your peripheral vision... No need to look down, just to turn your head to the left a bit. eyes on the road, and speed.
Sunday, October 21, 2007 3:59 PM
where did you get this pod?? i've been looking for a dual pod for my 03 cavalier but cant find one!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search