rear dash. in my room now what? - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
rear dash. in my room now what?
Wednesday, February 13, 2008 8:28 PM
hey guys, im trying to re-do my rear dash, its startin to crust and flake (i guess its common) and ive had enough. so while redoing my rear speakers i thought i could take them both out.

im going to do suede, or something of the like.

how can i strip off the rear cloth without breaking the pressboard?

ALSO. i have the stupid clips (i guess they are for baby seats) in the rear. can i take those out? or what can i do. they are nasty looking.

thanks guys

Re: rear dash. in my room now what?
Wednesday, February 13, 2008 10:09 PM
If i remember correctly you can take them out. I recovered mine with vinyl at first and then redid it with a different color carpet. Expect to take a little time taking off the carpet its on there pretty tight. You just pull maybe use a heat gun to try to loosen heat up the glue Have you thought about glassing it? You may be able to suede over the existing carpet but someone else might want to answer that one.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 10:30 PM
i took the baby seat clips out when i did my last one

and just recovered the carpet with vinyl...no removal

Thursday, February 14, 2008 2:58 AM
jnickel wrote:and just recovered the carpet with vinyl...no removal

thats what i did too, waaaay back in the day

coming back in 2008...
Thursday, February 14, 2008 4:14 AM
there you go. I wish i would of went that route. that would of saved me a lot of unecessary time fiddling with it. I will know for next time though

Thursday, February 14, 2008 7:48 AM
lol well i ripped off the carpet last night... so its naked and ready to get covered.

is there a specific process that i should be following to get it to sit best? im trying to get the stuff today (adhesive, scraper, and suede or covering....) and i want to get it back in the car by saturday if possible. giving it 24 hrs to dry.

what adhesive works best?
Thursday, February 14, 2008 8:44 AM
Most people use contact cement or spray glue.
I used 3M spray glue, the Heavy hold stuff. Its like 8-10 bucks for a can, I only used one. (I also did a headliner in my 92 with this stuff 4 years ago, and its still holding strong)

They have black carpet by the roll in the auto section of most walmarts around where Iive, I used that to cover my fiberglass deck and it looks perfect. I recomend sealing the surface or cleaning it realy well if you want the adhesive to hold and look good. suede is ok, but if nothing in the car matches it...it looks WAY out of place.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 9:31 AM
Redhotchevy2000 wrote:hey guys, im trying to re-do my rear dash, its startin to crust and flake (i guess its common) and ive had enough. so while redoing my rear speakers i thought i could take them both out.

im going to do suede, or something of the like.

how can i strip off the rear cloth without breaking the pressboard?

ALSO. i have the stupid clips (i guess they are for baby seats) in the rear. can i take those out? or what can i do. they are nasty looking.

thanks guys

Stripping the old carpet - I used a razor (and pulled) to scrape all of the old sh*t off, including as much of the old glue as I could.

The clips can be removed very easily. Get in the trunk, unbolt them. They each have one bolt holding them in place.

I have pictures and a little half-assed guide in a thread I started, it's still on page one.. just scroll down and check it out.. might help you out.

You can PM me if you have any questions too.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 3:36 PM
rear dash is done for now!!!!!!! it looks about 80% better than before. i gotta re-do it at a later date to get rid of some wrinkles, but im in a craze now. do you think it would look decent if i were to wrap my dash pad, gauge bezel, and the coverlay for the dash crack? im so into the whole suede thing now. and other than the fact it was my first time trying it, i think it looks pretty good, minus the spots where the child safety brackets had sagged... i didnt think about covering them.
Saturday, February 16, 2008 3:45 PM
Personally, I would do the dash pad and coverlay, but I don't think the gauge bezel would look quite right in suede. It's a matter of what you like, though, and who knows...Maybe it looks better than I'm picturing it.

How about some pix of the rear? Did you snap any before installing it?

Saturday, February 16, 2008 5:37 PM
i have a couple of it installed. ill get one up here tomorrow
its probably going to end up being re-done, but it looks good enough for now.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 8:23 AM
pictures! its good enough for now. comments?

and a distance shot of the current look, just because

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 3:57 PM
Very nice.
If you do decide to redo it, it might look good to contour it to match up to the bumps in the seat.
Looks sweet, though.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 8:59 PM
thats a really awesome idea. i will definetly look into it when i decide how im going to redo it. for now im just content once i put the foam backing to prevent speaker vibrations
Thursday, March 06, 2008 6:16 PM
...dang that looks way better, might have to do this myself

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search