Megasquirt install with pics and instructions - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Megasquirt install with pics and instructions
Friday, January 13, 2006 3:22 PM
OK well here it goes

Now for those of you who are new to this project of mine I wanted to see if the average wrench monkey would be able to properly install and maintain a Megasquirt.

What Im getting at is if I can do it so can you.

OK so for starters I made the descion to go with Megasquirt for a few reason. for one I wanted to stay away from fmu's because I liked the thought of a standalone. another was that There a great way to get a perfect tune without a dyno. I was worried at first about getting everything to work right but I figured I would do some research. For starters I read www.megasquirt.info that gave me a good idea of what I was up against. and after reading all of it I realised that this doesnt seem to be to hard (knock on wood)

when I deiced that this was what I wanted I contacted diyautotune they were a huge help they have gone thru the entier setup and helped me figure out what I neded.
heres my parts list

Megasquirt 1 v2.2
12' wiring harness
usb cable to megasquirt

tools to have

wire striper
ass load of electric tape
flat head screw dirver
phillips head
Im sure theres more I think of when I get further

with parts in hand I layed out a game plan of attack. I figured I would run the harness near my intake and slowly hook up wires as I figured out where they needed to be.

as of now I haved about 7 cables hooked and about 4 that I cliped because I didnt need them

heres the first of many

I ran the cable from the glove box under the dash and threw the fire wall then I wraped the harness made it snug and got to work

With that done I went ahead and cut the wires that I wasnt going to use (I say again if you are useing this to hook up your MS read the whole thing I might change something)
these were
all the IAC leads 4wires
more to come as I get to them

I started with the Ignition wire I hooked it up to the yellow wire that leads to the starter.
this is the same wire that you use to do a push button starter

I then got started on the throttle Postion sensor or TPS. there are two wires that go to the TPS the signal and the Voltage wire. I have hooked up the signal wire as you can see in the picture. I just need to figure out which one is the volatge refference. there are 2 wires it could be and I need to figure out which one.

heres a picture of the coolant sensor I am trying to figure out how to run an extra or if it is safe to just use that one.

now I did hook up a few more wires today but I didnt take pictures becuase They didnt seem that important. I can take them if you want.
there are 2 black wires I grounded those to the battery.
there is one red 12V that went to the batterty as well

I still have alot left to do such as a new IAT sensor a new coolant sensor fuel pump wire, batch injector wireing, and a few others I will make sure to keep you guys posted.

Im a level 32 joedm newb flamer.

Re: Megasquirt install with pics and instructions
Friday, January 13, 2006 3:41 PM
after some further reading I am almost positve that I have the IGN wrong so be catuious until I: can firugre this out.

Friday, January 13, 2006 4:10 PM
Sounds like fun, more fun than I'm interested in. Wiring alarm was enough for me.

Friday, January 13, 2006 5:40 PM
Joe Schulte (JoeDM) wrote:Sounds like fun, more fun than I'm interested in. Wiring alarm was enough for me.

yeah I hear this is over whelming but I made a promise.

Friday, January 13, 2006 5:50 PM
I hate wiring! Why I don't mess with it.

Friday, January 13, 2006 5:50 PM
Please solder all your connections, you'll thank me later when you're troubleshooting.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Friday, January 13, 2006 6:26 PM
I was debating weather or not to go that route. I figured its best but I want to test everything first to make sure it all works. it would kind of suck if I get it all in there and I cant undo it. but dont worry it will get done.

Friday, January 13, 2006 7:16 PM
Its good to see someone really doing a write-up on this. Im still debating doing it or not to. Hopefully all goes well...

Check out my car....
http://members.cardomain.com/o4blackfire
Friday, January 13, 2006 9:00 PM
thanks Ill keep updating

Friday, January 13, 2006 9:22 PM
If you don't use a second coolant sensor, you will have to change the .inc files to compensate for it being run in parallel with the bias resistors in the factory pcm. I just doubled up.

I'm sure you've been told this already, but if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
I just did this in September and went thru pretty much everything.

Friday, January 13, 2006 9:52 PM
now i maybe be dumb, but what is a megasqirter?

Friday, January 13, 2006 10:42 PM
Its a standalone system. Used mainly with turbo's and forced induction. Correct me if I am wrong.

Friday, January 13, 2006 10:58 PM
so do you keep your factory ecu and engine harness?

btw good luck!

Friday, January 13, 2006 11:42 PM
I want more!! This will be a big help when Im ready to do mine come december.....this write-up will work for the 2.4's also correct?

2000 Camaro V6.
| SLP Loudmouth | CAI Intake | HID's |

Saturday, January 14, 2006 12:18 AM
will this mod work on the 2200?
Saturday, January 14, 2006 8:03 AM
Quote:

Please solder all your connections,

Quote:

I started with the Ignition wire I hooked it up to the yellow wire that leads to the starter.
- NOTHING is hooked up to the starter.

Watch out when messing with wires under the dash,you don't need your are bag going off .

Saturday, January 14, 2006 9:03 AM
PoundinFire wrote:If you don't use a second coolant sensor, you will have to change the .inc files to compensate for it being run in parallel with the bias resistors in the factory pcm. I just doubled up.

I'm sure you've been told this already, but if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
I just did this in September and went thru pretty much everything.

yeah Im going to oder a new one. and Im going to the junkyard when the weather gets better and Im picking up an new IAT.

also Im a little worried about the coolant instal where and how do you suggest I put it in?

Dan Morrison wrote:so do you keep your factory ecu and engine harness?

btw good luck!

yes you do the megasqurit (when used for fuel) only takes over the injectors.

ZStreetCavSC(Whinin) wrote:I want more!! This will be a big help when Im ready to do mine come december.....this write-up will work for the 2.4's also correct?

yes it will its pretty much the same install

same for the 2200.

Saturday, January 14, 2006 2:24 PM
just be careful dude.. and solder them!

Saturday, January 14, 2006 5:28 PM
Jcavi (JoeDM in training) wrote:
yeah Im going to oder a new one. and Im going to the junkyard when the weather gets better and Im picking up an new IAT.

also Im a little worried about the coolant instal where and how do you suggest I put it in?

for the time being, i just bought a ntp tee that size and put them in the original location. for the final install, it looks like there may be a drilled, tapped, and plugged hole the right size in the head. might use that.

Saturday, January 14, 2006 8:46 PM
hmm will have to talk about that

Saturday, January 14, 2006 8:49 PM
oh yeah and a small update

I went and disconnected what I thought the IGN was and hooked up the box. it didnt work so I have to go back and load some files I missed. I keep you guys updated.

Monday, January 16, 2006 9:34 PM
SUCCESS

After two days of going back and forth with the rep at DIY I was able to get the Megasquirt to speak with my computer. the best part is the message you get when it connects.

ill let the pics talk!

I am now on to my first sensors. Im going to test the TPS and work from there.

ill post each one in detail.

Monday, January 16, 2006 9:45 PM
Good stuff man...I think it's pretty cool that you're doing this write up. Keep us updated.

Monday, January 16, 2006 11:01 PM
u gots balls man!!! this isn't something i'd wanna undetake then put on the org for scrutiny!

1st 1st gen on air.....
Monday, January 16, 2006 11:23 PM
whast that pic saY................

Thanx Charles
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search