Cavalier XS... you asked for them... - Page 3 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Cavalier XS... you asked for them...
Sunday, June 28, 2009 8:09 PM
Like the motor.

I think the exterior is god awful though.

Sunday, June 28, 2009 8:25 PM
i was just looking at this car on cardomain, i even still have the link open on my browser lol. pretty ironic!! nice car!

Sunday, June 28, 2009 10:05 PM
the motor is crazy. never seen nothin like it. how would you tune for both? wouldn't the supercharger restrict the air from the turbo?

Sunday, June 28, 2009 10:16 PM
Joe Schulte wrote:Like the motor.

I think the exterior is god AWFUL though.

FOR SALE: (5) '95-'99 Z24 Rims
Monday, July 06, 2009 3:36 AM
At long last..... Here is how she is SUPPOSED to look!
(sorry for the cameraphone pics... i think my lens was dirty.. i will get some better ones today.)

still some cosmetic details to straighten out.
dont have the side skirts ready yet.
and no, i still dont have dyno numbers or track times yet.
but all of that will be here in the very near future

Monday, July 06, 2009 9:31 PM
Is there a real benefit functionality wise to retaining the supercharger? It seems like it would hamper things more than help. 2.4s aren't exactly low on torque and I'm sure the supercharger bumps up the low end torque possibly even to unusable levels on street tires, however its also going to be heating up the intake air temperature too which is going to eliminate the amount of boost and timing you can run.

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Monday, July 06, 2009 9:49 PM
you might just need to come on over to ohio and take her for a spin.... and then you can tell me if you think it really "hurts performance" all that much.
yes, intake temps do get kinda toasty at times... but the fact my SC is in need of a rebuild and runs way hotter than it should to begin with doesnt help. But even as she is now, man does she fly. i mean from the second you let off the clutch till you take your foot off the gas for fear of your own life... she just GOES...
i have yet to have anyone to ride in, or along side me question the cars "limitations"

so for any of you doubters.... all i have to say is "come take a ride and you tell me..."

currently at just under 20psi... on 93 octane... still not even fully tuned to my liking... but there is no shortage of umph anywhere across the entire powerband.

I will get some videos up here for you guys soon.

and if all goes well I will be hitting the track wednesday.

Monday, July 06, 2009 10:44 PM
wow!!!
didnt even think that was possible! ....of course i wasnt thinking

i wish i had lots of money and couldnt pick between a super and turbo...

awesome dude!
straight awesome!

Thursday, July 09, 2009 1:07 AM
ken soggs wrote:
s1lver_N1p wrote:holy tight squeeze. loom kills it. like it other than that.

Alot of people dont like the loom... but i already had a bunch of red parts in the engine bay already... and my stock loom looked like crap. so i thought maybe i could tie it all together with the red loom. but not sure it came out as i wanted it to...

Now the blue stands out like a sore thumb.

I wanted to keep the whole car monochrome... all shades on black, grey, silver, etc... but cant always pull that off unless you paint everything....

so this is what i have for now...

I am up for suggestions for asthetic improvements...

I suggest not using that horrifying body kit. cavaliers have a rounded design. I would do something that uses those lines rather than goes against it. The neon(?) wing works well with it, though.

Body kit hate aside, what does it put down?

2010 Honda Fit LX
Thursday, July 09, 2009 4:00 AM
Not a fan of the kit, but the overall look is decent.

What's going on with the trunk? It looks like the wing doesn't have enough clearance over the quarter panels, so the trunk can't close all the way.

I like the motor alot, but I have the same heat concerns. I know Josh had very good luck with it, but I'm just not sure of the longevity of such a beast. I like the idea of twin charging, but I'd have used a centrifugal SC, and merged the pipes going to the IC. That way you get the low end and high end boost, but without cooking your SC.

Thursday, July 09, 2009 6:26 AM
Quiklilcav wrote:Not a fan of the kit, but the overall look is decent./quote]

I didnt really put it togehter for looks... most of it i stumled upon and got dirt cheap... and put it on for the performance/functionality of it... the hood is a functional ram air cold filtered outside air crammed right into the turbo. The front bumper allows much better airflow to the intercooler, and i got it cheap. The rear bumper was practically free... the spoiler i bought just cuz i liked it. and it is NOT a NEON wing. the fenders i got real cheap and they just went along with the rest of it...

Quiklilcav wrote:What's going on with the trunk? It looks like the wing doesn't have enough clearance over the quarter panels, so the trunk can't close all the way./quote]
The trunk is just not quite adjusted right yet... it always used to sit crooked... one side closed more than the other... now it is even, but both a lil high... and the spoiler does not touch the fenders. so it isnt keeping it from closing. just need some tweaking...

Quiklilcav wrote:I like the motor alot, but I have the same heat concerns. I know Josh had very good luck with it, but I'm just not sure of the longevity of such a beast. I like the idea of twin charging, but I'd have used a centrifugal SC, and merged the pipes going to the IC. That way you get the low end and high end boost, but without cooking your SC.

Centifugal SC would not give you anywhere near the same effects... they still require time to spool up, and are not positive displacement... so feeding them pressure would not always increase the pressure much more... The temps are a concearn, but so far have been very managable. even on a toasty day, they dont get too bad... and with some meth they stay cooler under heavy accel than they are at cruise. Alot of my problems are due to excessive heat soak caused by my old worn out SC... Rebuilding it and getting an S-Porting would brings temps down a ton.... that is likely going to be my next big step... once i get another job!

Thursday, July 09, 2009 6:31 AM
darn! forget some brackets on that last post... oops...

sorry guys...

oh here are some better pics....

Thursday, July 09, 2009 9:05 AM
I don't hate the kit. I mean, it is a beast, so it looks like a beast. I see this fitting. And the rear end from the front angle shots reminds me of the tiburons back end, minus the higher spoiler.
Thursday, July 09, 2009 9:32 AM
dont take this the wrong way as its only my point of view, motor wise i think your spot on. perfect. exterior wise looks horrid.

Thursday, July 09, 2009 10:03 AM
Carbon Cavi wrote:dont take this the wrong way as its only my point of view, motor wise i think your spot on. perfect. exterior wise looks horrid.

I agree but its his car...

I would also make some kind of device that holds the bypass valve open on the SC after 4k so it's just getting bypassed... I too think it'd be better going one way or the other but it def. is a neato factor

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Friday, July 10, 2009 5:37 PM
ken soggs wrote:Centifugal SC would not give you anywhere near the same effects... they still require time to spool up, and are not positive displacement... so feeding them pressure would not always increase the pressure much more... The temps are a concearn, but so far have been very managable. even on a toasty day, they dont get too bad... and with some meth they stay cooler under heavy accel than they are at cruise. Alot of my problems are due to excessive heat soak caused by my old worn out SC... Rebuilding it and getting an S-Porting would brings temps down a ton.... that is likely going to be my next big step... once i get another job!

I wasn't thinking of using a centrifugal in a series setup. I was thinking in parallel. That's why it would keep the temps down more, since you wouldn't be pushing compressed heated air into a compressor. I understand the desire for the quicker response of a roots type.

Porting it when you rebuild sounds like a good idea.

Saturday, July 11, 2009 2:06 AM
new vids?

Thursday, July 16, 2009 5:01 AM
well.... you have all been asking for it!!!!

So with out further delay....... drum roll please......

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

I went to the track last night.... took 2 passes down the track.....

but they would not let me go anymore.. they said the car was just way too fast and that i needed to have a roll cage, helmet, 5 point harness, flame retardant suit, and a jet pilot license before i could run again.

well... ok... maybe not... it was more like i blew 2 different charge pipes and a few vacuum lines on each pass. so i just gave up.

Sooo i need to figure out a better way to seal the charge system. Yes i did use t-clamps, not screw-style hose clamps. and where does one get tiny lil hose clamps to use for vacuum lines?

ok well... here is what i got at the track.

This was against my buddy in his brand new cobalt SS turbo... this wasnt his best run.. but it was one of my worst ever... damn charge pipes.

note that i beat him in the 60ft and the 330ft... even though he fouled and had a rediculously better reaction time...

but i blew my charge pipe in second gear right around 1/3 down the track... and coasted for a bit trying to figure out what happened.... then said screw it and finished the race on the SC only. so he beat me in the 1/8th and and the 1/4. but even after all my troubles, i still had a higher top speed, and better off the line acceleration. and still only lost by .2 seconds.

granted that wasnt his best run... but it was my only run... lol.

dont worry... she will be back to the track after i tighten things down a bit... and get some real numbers... but i say that is pretty damn good for a crippled car.

Thursday, July 16, 2009 5:27 AM
Get those 60' times down lol. We ran braided ss line for vacuum so we didnt have any problems with lines coming off.

Thursday, July 16, 2009 5:44 AM
Bead roll the charge pipe ends and use vip-ties or small clamps on vacume lines. Still not a bad time and trap speed for letting off the throttle then getting back on it with just the sc lol.

Thursday, July 16, 2009 7:13 AM
which track did you go to?
What are you doing this weekend?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Thursday, July 16, 2009 7:40 AM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:which track did you go to?

thompson...

i almost called you on my way home as i was hobbling through chardon without a charge pipe.

Thursday, July 16, 2009 8:13 AM
ken soggs wrote:
-MD- Enforcer wrote:which track did you go to?

thompson...

i almost called you on my way home as i was hobbling through chardon without a charge pipe.

You should have called man. I live less than a minute from Chardon's square.

I actually almost went to Thompson yesterday, but instead, went to the in laws.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, July 16, 2009 1:57 PM
What is the pressure from just the turbo? When I ran the setup for one night the turbo fed the S/C with 7.35 PSI and the S/C (only produced 7.5 PSI on its own) compounded everything to 17.5 PSI before the PCM shut things down due to knock. This was at a measly 3500 RPM BTW.

Friday, July 17, 2009 4:30 AM
whats your buddys best run in his TC balt? I ran faster than that with just an intake...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search