ABS delete (pics) - Photos & Media Forum

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.
ABS delete (pics)
Sunday, April 05, 2009 8:44 PM
OK guys. i know some of you knew i was working on this, and some of you didnt, so heres the deal.
I have always hated my abs module, i dont drive the car in the rain( i know how to pulse brake anyway) and the abs module takes up sooo much engine bay room and theres nothing you can do with it. when i go to shows all i can do is clean it , other than that it just gets in my way and looks ugly. So here is my fix. i threw out my entire abs system today. Yes, the abs module, the motor, AND the master cylinder that was attached to it . did i use the new style distribution block you ask ? no..i didnt want ANY block, and i didnt want a white brake fluid tank anymore either, i wanted black. so i went and got a completely different style master cylinder, here area few pics of how it looked before , and how it turned out. Plz keep in mind this is mainly a "show modification" and i dont really see any performance reasons to do this..other than dropping the 15lbs the abs weighs. no the stock brake lines didnt fit..as you can see i had to cut, bend, and re flare new fittings on. took the car for a long trip today and the brakes work great..cant even tell anyhing had been changed..but enough talk..here are the pics.

before

taken out

new fittings

and complete new non abs master cylinder

and heres alittle of the aftermath

now for those of you who actually know how brakes work and are wondering....yes the brake fluid level harness pluges right in, (obviously)
yes the brakes are still proportioned correctly , criss crossed lines with the proper pressure going to the fronts and rear brakes...it all still works the same to the wheels just like it did before...just without the big ass abs block.
and like i said before i took it for a 2 hour drive today without a single issue.......however..
because of whats involved with the brake lines " ISO flares" needed, i do not suggest this to the novice, if you have not worked on brake lines before this may be something you might want to leave up to a professional to do for you, a brake shop should be able to do this without issue, but id hate to hear from someone who tried this and ended up ruining their brake lines and would no longer be able to even hook up their old system. so ill say it again...IF YOU HAVE NEVER "ISO FLARED" BRAKE LINES BEFORE, DONT KNOW HOW TO BENCH BLEED A MASTER CYLINDER AND BLEED OUT YOUR ENTIRE BRAKE SYSTEM PROPERLY, PLEASE LET A PROFESSIONAL DO IT FOR YOU !!
also...if you have to ask me what the difference is between an "ISO flare" and a "double flare" , well..then i wouldnt attempt it.
plz ignore the dirt, i didnt clean it before i took the pics, ..the msd coils will be moved and mounted between the brake master and the clutch fluid cup..since i have some extra room there now and the coils / ignition wires should cover some of the loom hanging there and make my strut tower look normal again.
other than that what do you guys think ??? lol

Re: ABS delete (pics)
Sunday, April 05, 2009 8:50 PM
pretty f'n nice.

so 15lbs you say?

Needing 2.3 oil pump stuff? PM me...
Sunday, April 05, 2009 8:53 PM
where did you get the non abs?

8 psi with m62 and IAT under 100
Sunday, April 05, 2009 8:54 PM
looks really good Scott! Do you still have the carbon fiber cover? if so, want to sell it?

Sunday, April 05, 2009 9:00 PM
looks good fugger.now that u were the tester I KNOW we can do mine now .

I NEED a 97-99 LD9 engine harness for an auto.PM if u hav info.!!
Sunday, April 05, 2009 9:01 PM
looks good fugger.now that u were the tester I KNOW we can do mine now . brad. it doesn't weigh 15lbs lol. but the bastard assembly is heavy

Sunday, April 05, 2009 9:02 PM
looks good fugger.now that u were the tester I KNOW we can do mine now . brad. it doesn't weigh 15lbs lol. but the bastard assembly is heavy

Sunday, April 05, 2009 9:04 PM
srry bout the triple post lol

Sunday, April 05, 2009 10:03 PM
What is that master from? Looks alot like the master on the 3400 that I am working on now. Aparantly the brakes are pretty soft on that one. I wouldnt know though since I havent driven it.
If you dont mind me asking, what corners got plummed into what spots on the master so I can check this one before driving it.
Thanx in advance, it looks awsome

Monday, April 06, 2009 5:24 AM
Quote:

where did you get the non abs?

is made for another car

Quote:

looks really good Scott! Do you still have the carbon fiber cover? if so, want to sell it?

thanks! and yes i still have it, and yes willing to sell

Quote:

what corners got plummed into what spots on the master so I can check this one before driving it

i dont have records with me...i have everything written down at home, but id rather not compare it to a completely different master since that is not the car or engine i got mine from.....and the lines may plumb up different

glad you guys liked it....i will probably be starting a group buy for these soon if there is enough interest

Monday, April 06, 2009 5:28 AM
What car did it come off? The master we got on this car is from an older Cadillac I believe.

Monday, April 06, 2009 8:01 AM
what you going to need to be concerned with is how its proportioned compared to the car your putting it in and master cylinder bore size

Monday, April 06, 2009 8:12 AM
any specific reason why you seem to be talking around telling anyone what you used?

Monday, April 06, 2009 8:24 AM
maybe you over looked this part ...

Quote:

.i will probably be starting a group buy for these soon if there is enough interest

Monday, April 06, 2009 8:51 AM
ive got a non abs unit sitting on my workbench for whenever i get the urge to slap it on.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Monday, April 06, 2009 9:17 AM
scott (section8cav) wrote:maybe you over looked this part ...

Quote:

.i will probably be starting a group buy for these soon if there is enough interest

So your not gonna tell people cause your gonna go to AutoZone and buy the master cylinders and then sell them on here for a higher price and shipping charges? Sounds fair.

KevinP (Stabby McShankyou) wrote:
and I'm NOT a pedo. everyone knows i've got a wheelchair fetish.

Monday, April 06, 2009 9:30 AM
Quote:

ive got a non abs unit sitting on my workbench for whenever i get the urge to slap it on.

still beat you too it

Quote:

So your not gonna tell people cause your gonna go to AutoZone and buy the master cylinders and then sell them on here for a higher price and shipping charges? Sounds fair.

isnt that how buisness works? you buy a product from a distributor for a certain price..mark it up..then resell for a profit ?? sorry, i thought that was "honest buisness" .
but to answer your question ..NO..im not buying these from autozone..cost is too high and hense i would have to charge too much to resell, im not looking to rip people off. however i DO i have to spend MY time and money to go pull these off cars, clean them up and check them and get them to the rest of you...that doesnt sound fair either ?

Monday, April 06, 2009 11:05 AM
sounds fair to me. for the money your asking its totally worth it. for you jerk off's whining about him selling them i take it you didnt even ask him how much a unit was? thats what i thought.

scott- go for it. @!#$ the haters.

Needing 2.3 oil pump stuff? PM me...
Monday, April 06, 2009 11:18 AM
thanks for the support man !
and nope, not one other person bothered asking how much they would cost.
does 45$ shipped (continental US ) not sound fair ?

Monday, April 06, 2009 11:35 AM
Actually I did miss the GP part. $45 does sound fair but what sound even more fair IMO is telling people what exactly they are paying for, especially when your taking mystery brake parts out of a junk yard and selling them to other people. Maybe people don't want used parts, maybe people want to do some research on the master cylinder being used in stead of relying on a 2 hour test drive that this is thing is the "right" route to go.

scott (section8cav) wrote:however i DO i have to spend MY time and money to go pull these off cars, clean them up and check them and get them to the rest of you...

Actually no you don't. You could always share some knowledge with the rest of the site like most people do. In your thread asking what effects it would have did anyone try to charge you for giving an answer?

Monday, April 06, 2009 11:49 AM
nice work scott.

I agree with darkstars on this one.. and I dont want to deal with shipping bs over to canada. tax and border fees. Id like to do this swap as well. let me know thanks.

Monday, April 06, 2009 12:24 PM
z yaaaa wrote:sounds fair to me. for the money your asking its totally worth it. for you jerk off's whining about him selling them i take it you didnt even ask him how much a unit was? thats what i thought.

Why does asking questions make me a jerk off? I guess the same reason jumping to conclusions makes you a c0ck sucker.

If you are going to sell used, junk yard master cylinders I would make sure you had one hell of a liability insurance policy.

Monday, April 06, 2009 1:03 PM
z yaaaa wrote:sounds fair to me. for the money your asking its totally worth it. for you jerk off's whining about him selling them i take it you didnt even ask him how much a unit was? thats what i thought.

Im a hater but not because of this. I am a hater because of the engine.

Monday, April 06, 2009 1:14 PM
HAHA you guys are great...first of all you really think i dont know how to inspect and rebuild a brake master? you also must think im very gullible , you think i dont know that the first thing You guys would do is go grab a junk yard unit? and still not even know how to rebuild it. ......and charge me for an answer? seems like most of you dont know me or something, or how much i have contributed, ive made several How-To's for things as well as help with any thing i possibly could. but the one time i figure something out and try to make ALITTLE money off it you guys wanna crucify me. we love having things handed to us i guess..
i completely understand about the shipping to canada, but the rest of these guys dont really have an excuse. If no one here thinks ill send them a good part i guess im just not trusted.
so i guess ill just make another HOW-TO on this then. and anyone that doesnt feel like stomping thru a junk yard can just PM me and ill hook them up with one w/fittings.
im gonna wait a minute before i make a how to though cus i feel there is a better one out there...i just wanted to make sure this one fit ..i would like to find one that will line up with our existing brake line fittings..bore size,thread and wheel location..so that no flaring or cutting will be needed...i feel a direct bolt on master would be a better deal...is just gonna take me a minute to figure out the right one....otherwise this will be the one to go with.

Monday, April 06, 2009 2:09 PM
scott (section8cav) wrote:HAHA you guys are great...first of all you really think i dont know how to inspect and rebuild a brake master? you also must think im very gullible , you think i dont know that the first thing You guys would do is go grab a junk yard unit? and still not even know how to rebuild it. ......and charge me for an answer? seems like most of you dont know me or something, or how much i have contributed, ive made several How-To's for things as well as help with any thing i possibly could. but the one time i figure something out and try to make ALITTLE money off it you guys wanna crucify me. we love having things handed to us i guess..

Never said you didn't have the ability to re-build a master cylinder, just said I hope you have one hell of a liability insurance policy.

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.

Start New Topic Advanced Search