Relocated the ECU - Page 2 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Relocated the ECU
Monday, April 20, 2009 8:30 PM
Clever devil.

I dig.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 4:45 AM
there or under the dash the install is about the same. no bolts needed for under the dash though. i dont know why under the dash seems to scare so many people, its a half hour mod to have it completly relocated inside the cabin and no holes need to be drilled. potato patato i guess.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Tuesday, April 21, 2009 5:34 AM
Underdash = stagnant air. It is a computer, just like your laptop or desktop pc it should have airflow. This is why I was so resistant to putting it under the dash. GM puts it where it has airflow on ALL vehicles, whether it actually needs airflow or not I do not know, but all of them have it so I would think maintaining that would be a good thing.

---------------------------------------------------
4 Cams...32 Valves...5 Liters...This Could Get Fun!

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 6:24 AM
EcoCav (DesertTuners) wrote:
Skunk - Now With Petey wrote:You might want to mention that the connectors don't fit just perfect through the hole and some slight modification is needed to get the connectors through the hole...well on my 01 at least. Expect to see quite a few copy this...I already did and I saw this post a lil more than an hour ago

I figured after I did this, several others would try it too. I wanted to leave the hole as a suprise for them

THANK YOU THANK YOU!

I was going to relocate mine this week inside the cabin, but this is so much more clever! Will post pics when I do it. What a great idea, thanks for posting dude!

" To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous. "
Tuesday, April 21, 2009 8:37 AM
sndsgood wrote:i dont know why under the dash seems to scare so many people

My problem with going inside the car is a few things.

1. I have an alarm and stereo, there is already a pile of wires under the dash
2. I really dont want a big ass hole in the rubber boot thing (Rhino ass) and have to listen to road noise and my transmission.
3. Why copy everyone else?

Thursday, April 23, 2009 6:18 PM
your car didnt come with cruise did it? my problem is that damed cruise wireing

ShowOff Customz
03 Cavalier
73 Beetle
68 Fairlane 500

Friday, April 24, 2009 7:53 AM
sndsgood wrote:i dont know why under the dash seems to scare so many people

My problem with going inside the car is a few things.

1. I have an alarm and stereo, there is already a pile of wires under the dash
2. I really dont want a big ass hole in the rubber boot thing (Rhino ass) and have to listen to road noise and my transmission.
3. Why copy everyone else?

3. your valve cover is a different color? you copied that, didn't you? this point is mute
2. you don't hear anymore road noise with the hole, if you do it correctly, since the hole is then filled w/ the loom and wiring.
1. apparently you haven't seen jason's car...he has a @!#$ ton of wiring for stereo and relocated his fuse box under his dash, with plenty of room for the ecu wiring.

Friday, April 24, 2009 10:48 AM
s1lver_N1p wrote:
3. your valve cover is a different color? you copied that, didn't you? this point is mute
2. you don't hear anymore road noise with the hole, if you do it correctly, since the hole is then filled w/ the loom and wiring.
1. apparently you haven't seen jason's car...he has a @!#$ ton of wiring for stereo and relocated his fuse box under his dash, with plenty of room for the ecu wiring.

I was born before you, you just copied me... your point is invalid and null.
Everyone has copied someone, @!#$ man we all have the same damn car. I just did something that no one else here (that I know of) has done. Nope I havent seen Jasons car, I guess you haven't seen bobs car have you? he ran the wires in the rhino ass, and now you hear the trans (see I can pull someone name from my ass, and provide useless information with no links too)

Friday, April 24, 2009 10:54 AM
s1lver_N1p wrote:

I was born before you, you just copied me... your point is invalid and null.
Everyone has copied someone, @!#$ man we all have the same damn car. I just did something that no one else here (that I know of) has done. Nope I havent seen Jasons car, I guess you haven't seen bobs car have you? he ran the wires in the rhino ass, and now you hear the trans (see I can pull someone name from my ass, and provide useless information with no links too)

quoted jason aka sndsgood.

Friday, April 24, 2009 10:56 AM
to go along w/ skunks theory. my gtp's ecu is in the damn air box! that is factory!

WiGM-Tuners member.
Friday, April 24, 2009 11:21 AM
haha im doing this right now , also need to find some where to ditch my cruise harness since i took it out the car

ShowOff Customz
03 Cavalier
73 Beetle
68 Fairlane 500

Friday, April 24, 2009 2:14 PM
I'll be doing this and my GM strut bar this weekend if the weather is good.

Friday, April 24, 2009 2:52 PM
i made 2 "C" style brackets from flat Alum stock. drilled holes and mounted it .

ShowOff Customz
03 Cavalier
73 Beetle
68 Fairlane 500

Friday, April 24, 2009 8:14 PM
Jesus... I can't get my wiper arms off? How did you guys do it, short of an 800 lb gorilla?

I WD-40'd the crap out of them, and pulled and pulled and pulled but no go... Suggestions?

Friday, April 24, 2009 8:26 PM
put the nut back on the wiper stud till its flush pull on the wiper arm and tap the stud with a hammer while pulling the wiper arm that works for me.

Friday, April 24, 2009 11:05 PM
where is your clutch fluid resorvoir??
also, could you send some more pics, will be doing this next weekend.

Saturday, April 25, 2009 12:01 AM
Spalattero wrote:where is your clutch fluid resorvoir??
also, could you send some more pics, will be doing this next weekend.

I don't have A clutch fluid resorvoir. I have an auto

Those are the only pics I have of the relocation. It was a spur of the moment thing, and I grabbed my camera last minute for a few shots.

You will need a hacksaw to open the hole up some more to fit the connectors into, then some zip ties to hold the wires from hitting the wiper motor.

Saturday, April 25, 2009 4:00 AM
02 redbadged (now premi) wrote:to go along w/ skunks theory. my gtp's ecu is in the damn air box! that is factory!
simple explanation for that... you cant fit 10lbs of crap in a 5 lb bag
Saturday, April 25, 2009 6:54 AM
i didnt cut the hole for the connectors, i took the tops off and fit them thru

ShowOff Customz
03 Cavalier
73 Beetle
68 Fairlane 500

Saturday, April 25, 2009 10:28 PM
Alright,
So how about a full written explanation of how exactly it was done so that we dont have to trouble shoot as we go hahah

Just saying, because I plan on getting a strut bar right away and this will definitely help to clean up the engine bay in the process, but I dont want to be mid relocation and run into some unexpected problem

Sunday, April 26, 2009 2:09 AM
Xplicit wrote:Alright,
So how about a full written explanation of how exactly it was done so that we dont have to trouble shoot as we go hahah

Just saying, because I plan on getting a strut bar right away and this will definitely help to clean up the engine bay in the process, but I dont want to be mid relocation and run into some unexpected problem

Really?

go ahead and print this next bit off

Ia.open your hood
Ib.disconnect negative battery terminal

IIa. unscrew and remove wiper blades
IIb. remove wiper motor cover (5 or so push clips)
IIc. pull out small rubber filler (aka "miniRINOASS")
IId. with a knife open up the rubber hole to allow the ECU plug connections to pass through (careful knifes are sharp)
IIe. with a hack saw open up the metal hole that the "miniRINOASS" was covering up also to allow ECU plugs to pass through (careful hacksaws can kill)
IIf. using a pliers pry open the hole (careful pliers can pinch skin causing dramatical amounts of pain)

IIIa.disconnect ECU from stock location
IIIb.disconnect the 2 connections from ECU
IIIc. carefully feed the 2 connections through the "miniRINOASS" (careful here, as this is made of rubber and can break easily)
IIId. carefully feed the 2 connections through the metal hole (that should be opened up enough from steps IIe-IIf )

IVa. decide on a good point to mount the ECU
IVb. using a marker mark a place where a hole can be drilled
IVc. drill the hole (careful drills can make irreversible holes in both your can and your or somebody else's body)
IVd. re connect the 2 connection into the ECU
IVe. now using a bolt and nut (or zip ties work as a good substitute if no bold and nut are available) mount the ECU

Va. reconnect the "miniRINOASS"
Vb. reconnect the wiper motor cover (the 5 or so push clips)
Vc. re attack wiper blades
Vd. re connect negative terminal
Ve. close your hood

IF THIS POST DOESN'T CLEARLY HELP YOU OUT OR GIVE YOU THE CONCEPT OF HOW TO DO THIS PM ME.

Sunday, April 26, 2009 4:46 PM
Thanks sir haha
A lil bit of an ass at parts, but I expected it.

Just didn't want to get mid process and be wondering WTF to do with product x

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 2:09 PM
I finally managed to get this done, I will take some pics for everyone. While it's all off, let me know if you guys need pictures of anything in particular. I didn't need to cut the hole open at all, I just took the black top piece off of the connectors, and very carefully managed to get them to squeeze through the hole. Do the big one first, then the small one, and keep the little grey flapping arm forward.

Anyways I'll get pics, but if people have questions or specifics let me know within the next two weeks before I get the car in a more drivable like state lol.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 2:31 PM
Dave Dunsmoor wrote: I just took the black top piece off of the connectors, and very carefully managed to get them to squeeze through the hole. Do the big one first, then the small one, and keep the little grey flapping arm forward.quote]

as i did the same

ShowOff Customz
03 Cavalier
73 Beetle
68 Fairlane 500

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 7:16 PM
Alright,
so relocating the ECU cleans up part of the tower,
but what about the other one there? That is the Cruise Control right?
Where have you guys relocated that to?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search