New updated pics- Progress thread - Page 3 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: New updated pics- Progress thread
Monday, December 28, 2009 1:05 PM
It just depends on what side your exhaust housing is on your turbo. Mine is on the passenger side so it made it A LOT easier to fab up a DP. Although ive never takin a turbo apart, maybe you can take it apart to put the hot side on whichever side of the car you want.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ

Monday, December 28, 2009 1:23 PM
Yep Dave, you can clock both housings on the turbo and the center for facing oil ports which way needed.

OP, if I were a manual Id run my charge piping under the car for sure. Much cleaner look in my opinion and if you ever switch to a turbo header it wont be difficult to change your hot side piping. Also with your mani Id put the dp on the passenger side becuase of the wastegate location, would make it easier to recirculate it if you wanted.
ive had my dp on the passenger side since Ive turbo'd, but want to switch it mainly for ease of making an intake. Im auto so dont have alot of room back there to make an intake and I hate having my charge piping having to run along the whole back side of the motor over the turbo and wg and all.

Monday, December 28, 2009 1:25 PM
WHITECAVY wrote:It just depends on what side your exhaust housing is on your turbo. Mine is on the passenger side so it made it A LOT easier to fab up a DP. Although ive never takin a turbo apart, maybe you can take it apart to put the hot side on whichever side of the car you want.

I was thinking the same. Downpipe has a lot more room on the pass side. Could you not just turn the turbo around? Make sence? Im not sure if you can swap the feeds though on the turbo, the oil feed goes up top and drain bottom. So if you flip it your reversing them on the turbo. Am I thinking to much about this and missing the easy answer lol? Then on the compressor side of the tubo the outlet will face towards the firewall instead of facing the front of the car. I know you can clock the tubo but I notice on your set up you have it facing directly up.

"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers"-Colin McRae
Monday, December 28, 2009 1:36 PM
icemike89 wrote:Yep Dave, you can clock both housings on the turbo and the center for facing oil ports which way needed.

OP, if I were a manual Id run my charge piping under the car for sure. Much cleaner look in my opinion and if you ever switch to a turbo header it wont be difficult to change your hot side piping. Also with your mani Id put the dp on the passenger side becuase of the wastegate location, would make it easier to recirculate it if you wanted.
ive had my dp on the passenger side since Ive turbo'd, but want to switch it mainly for ease of making an intake. Im auto so dont have alot of room back there to make an intake and I hate having my charge piping having to run along the whole back side of the motor over the turbo and wg and all.

Ok, so if I am reading this right you can clock the turbo to face your ports for oil and drain lines as well as coolant lines? I guess what im trying to figure out is what I need to specify when ordering my turbo besides the size etc. Do they need to know which way the turbo is going to face (pass or driver)?

Monday, December 28, 2009 1:37 PM
WHITECAVY wrote:
Blwn LD9 wrote:
icemike89 wrote:The vulcan manifold looks nice, but is overpriced IMO. Almost $400 for a log manifold with external gate flange, no thank you.

Ill definitely be watching your progress though!

Is there another option out there??

Yep, the STR log cast manifold.

Thats terrible I can only name one.

That's OK, it will not work with my parts anyway

I am sure Fetter or RD Fabs could make one, but I am unsure of prices for either place

icemike89 wrote:Read Atomic's new eco manifold thread in the boost forum

I like what Atomic is doing.....I just prefer not to have a top mount setup

Jason
99 Z24 Supercharged
157hp/171tq - NA
190hp/170tq @ 6psi

LG0/LD9 for Life
Monday, December 28, 2009 8:47 PM
heres a few pics might be able to help you with pipe routing

R.I.P. Brian Klocke, you will never be forgotten
Tuesday, December 29, 2009 3:29 AM
Brandon, how come I suddenly get the urge to air hump everytime I see the stuff that you build?

Tuesday, December 29, 2009 5:54 AM
Boosted2point4 wrote:heres a few pics might be able to help you with pipe routing

That is sick

Jason
99 Z24 Supercharged
157hp/171tq - NA
190hp/170tq @ 6psi

LG0/LD9 for Life
Tuesday, December 29, 2009 8:35 AM
Boosted2point4 wrote:heres a few pics might be able to help you with pipe routing

I agree that is sick! Looks like there is a lot more room in there then I think. Whats the reasoning behind having the wastegate dump so far down in the exhaust? Is it ok to route it closer to the turbo on the DP?

Tuesday, December 29, 2009 8:41 AM
thanks guys, my wastegate isnt routed back into the exhaust, after those pics the dump tube was flush cut with the dp

R.I.P. Brian Klocke, you will never be forgotten
Tuesday, December 29, 2009 10:49 AM
Onecleancavy- You want the wastegate tube that far down because exhaust comes out of it, and you dont want exhaust smoke all over your firewall

Mine is routed all the way down how Brandon has his, but closer to the passenger wheel.

306 TQ

Tuesday, December 29, 2009 11:12 AM
and you dont want to be breathing exhaust fumes!

Trailer Queen corvette wanna-be with 40 coats of wax and powdercoating that soaks in.
Tuesday, December 29, 2009 12:22 PM
Ahhhh ok i see. My confusion is regarding the route and how long down the exhaust Brandon has put the wastegate dump. So if im reading correct you can dump it straight to atmosphere? You dont have to connect it back to the exhaust? I was just thinking I can dump it into the exhaust but instead of going so far back into the system I could do it closer to the turbo on the DP.
I appreciate the pics guys, gives me something to referance for sure.

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 7:36 PM
jesus what is that 5" exhaust piping?

Thursday, January 14, 2010 10:46 AM
Updates?

306 TQ
Thursday, January 14, 2010 2:55 PM
Il have some updates in the next week or so. Im just waiting to get head studs

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 2:12 PM
Alright so headstuds should be here next week. Those bozo's at ARP gave me a bit of a run around. There will be some updates next week for sure, I got some stuff from OEM coming and some members have been of great help and are hooking me up with some smaller items I need for my build. Once I get this block back in the car I can start the fun stuff, mounting the intercooler, making chrge pipes,a downpipe etc. I did however get my hands on a Blazer fuel pump so im going to have to drop the tank at some point here.

Question for you guys. Im going to be going with HPT. Is there anything els I need in regards to tuning? Besides a wideband obviously.This seems like a big hurdle for me, the tuning part at least. I dont want to F^$% anything up.....well try my best not too. If just tuning my car can I just get the standard version? I have read through the HPT sticky but am a little unclear on some things. So the credits are just basicly a chance to flash the computer? How many sessions can I tune with each credit, just one? Thanks guys. Sorry if im a little slow on getting the tuning bit with HPT

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 4:04 PM
You need the pro version of HPT. Once you unlock your car you can tune as much as you want(thats 2 credits).

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 4:13 PM
jmarks82 wrote:You need the pro version of HPT. Once you unlock your car you can tune as much as you want(thats 2 credits).

Whats the reasoning behind having to get pro? Just curious, they both come with 8 credits.

Edit: So I can tune with the wideband duh. Thanks for the info though

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, January 21, 2010 7:14 AM

Thursday, January 21, 2010 8:07 AM
The pro version allows you to interface with a wideband or other inputs like EGT etc, and allows you to log said inputs. It's basically the only way you can ACTUALLY tune with HPTuners so DON'T skimp out on that. You will 100% regret it down the road.

" To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous. "
Thursday, January 21, 2010 9:19 AM
I was gonna say, yea get an EGT gauge. I wish I had that on my first motor I blew lol. I have one now.

306 TQ

Thursday, January 21, 2010 11:37 AM
Thank you both for the input

Tuesday, February 09, 2010 2:41 PM
Well I finally got ahold of some ARP headstuds. The service at ARP for me was the absolute sh!ts, I didnt have a choise though as I did not want to use stock studs with the cometic gasket. Iv got a bunch of stuff in the works and will be updating this thread more offen now. Iv got some 2.3 HO springs coming, A TTR K brace? Not sure who made it but its coming from OEM, I belive he had it on his sunfire. He has aslo been kind enough to make a phenolic spacer for me as well to adapt the HO mani to my head.. These im hoping will be here early next week. I had planned on going with a fetter manifold but I do not have the funds for one at the moment as I still need to get a turbo. I hoping to get one later down the road though. More updates will be coming in the following days.
Some other stuff I have in my possession but awaiting to go in
Blazer fuel pump/new strainer
new fuel filter
new alternator
new drive shafts
new water pump
new O2 sensors
Ordered a crank pulley from Mike's GP as well
I think thats it so far. Im very excited to be putting the block back together and cant wait to have it back in the car (should be a couple weeks)

Yay

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, February 09, 2010 2:50 PM

Tuesday, February 09, 2010 2:52 PM
Alright man sweet! 75 lb ft on those headstuds.

306 TQ
Tuesday, February 09, 2010 3:06 PM
WHITECAVY wrote:Alright man sweet! 75 lb ft on those headstuds.

Really? I thought it was 80-85 depending on what lube you use. Normal oil 85 and use there moly lube and 80. Id trust your word though as im sure you have been there done that lol

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search