Supporting Mods - Page 9 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Supporting Mods
Saturday, April 10, 2010 6:10 AM
What issues, is the car here at the shop in Ohio?

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ

Saturday, April 10, 2010 6:50 AM
WHITECAVY(the bash falln one) wrote:What issues, is the car here at the shop in Ohio?
Nope, I have it here in STL. Took me and Brandon quite a while to figure out why it would not fire. Got one sputter and that was it, Come to find out, the coil tower was bad. So after we modified the original coil tower to fit, it fired right up but ran rel poor due to the plugs were so fouled. Also had a problem with the new injectors falling through the cups and a fuel leak occured. Got all that fixed, loaded my startup tune into it and it fired right up. Idles a little hi right now(commanded 900-1000, idles 1500-1600) but after looking things over and trying to adjust manually, it was discovered that somebody has powerdercoated over the set screw, and this TB blade has an idle hole drilled. I was hoping to get some good data logged driving it back to my place, but something keeps wigging out the scannner. It would not log RPM, o2, timing and also would not give me options to add them in to the chart display. Weired thing is, I went outside, plugged it in my car and all my parameters back instantly. Go back to this car, it works for a minute, scanner freezes and all by tables inputs disappear, and my histograms go away...(Brandon witnessed this also. I thought I was seeing things) Not sure if its a beta issue or what, but I have used this same config file on at least 15-20 other cars and never had an issue... Plan on letting it sit today for a while, look it over again real good tonight, fill it up and start tuning out the bugs in the morning. Also got to make sure wideband is all good.

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Saturday, April 10, 2010 7:00 AM
Damn, yea talk about issues.. Some weird stuff going on there. Im sure you guys will tackle it ok.

306 TQ
Saturday, April 10, 2010 7:07 AM
With HPT Ryan my tuner was also have major issues with the recent BETA and has been working side-by-side with the HPT guys to sort them out. He wasn't able to do anything with certain model years, but now I believe he has all that corrected. I do not know how close you are with their support team but if I can get him to put you in touch with the right person, feel free to let me know.

Saturday, April 10, 2010 7:16 AM
Son of a mother @!#$ bitch my car is a piece of @!#$ ghost machine.

I did not expect any of these issues to happen but I guess its part of it all. Literally ruined my night for having them have to deal with it. It sucks. But like ryan said, part of cars.

From the bottom of my heart I can't thank you BOTH for working on my car.

Saturday, April 10, 2010 7:28 AM
Joe Schulte wrote:With HPT Ryan my tuner was also have major issues with the recent BETA and has been working side-by-side with the HPT guys to sort them out. He wasn't able to do anything with certain model years, but now I believe he has all that corrected. I do not know how close you are with their support team but if I can get him to put you in touch with the right person, feel free to let me know.
Thanks Joe. I have worked with HPT support quite a bit in the past for beta issues. This one stikes me really odd though. I am going to try a few things this weekend 1st. If they don't work, then I will send the info to support tomorrow night. No point sending it today as they won't answer until Monday anyway....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Saturday, April 10, 2010 9:33 AM
Vince were you hp tuned before this project? If you were just wondering why there were no issues with that.

306 TQ
Saturday, April 10, 2010 9:47 AM
Yes. Was HP tuned before. I feel bad about all of it. It sucks

Saturday, April 10, 2010 10:18 AM
Hmm very weird. Good luck guys. I wanna see some numbers on this beast.

306 TQ
Saturday, April 10, 2010 10:43 AM
WHITECAVY(the bash falln one) wrote:Hmm very weird. Good luck guys. I wanna see some numbers on this beast.
Beats me too.... I can flash it with no issues, but scanner communications are hit or miss... Can't see any of the info I need to make the proper changes. I tried the scanner on both my cars and it works fine. Also, if I connect it to mine, then connect it to his, I get 1 shot to log before it drops all the table info and histograms. The other wierd thing is, if I go to reinsert the PIDs into the table display, the options are gone... No option for RPM even.... Its got me scratching my head, thats for sure...

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Saturday, April 10, 2010 10:46 AM
QWK LN2 (aka ImPhat0260) wrote:but after looking things over and trying to adjust manually, it was discovered that somebody has powerdercoated over the set screw, and this TB blade has an idle hole drilled.

can you specify on this idle hole being drilled issue im actually getting the same tb and i want to get some info on it to see if i can stop him from doing so..

Saturday, April 10, 2010 11:00 AM
arrival_04_eco (green98cav) wrote:
QWK LN2 (aka ImPhat0260) wrote:but after looking things over and trying to adjust manually, it was discovered that somebody has powerdercoated over the set screw, and this TB blade has an idle hole drilled.

can you specify on this idle hole being drilled issue im actually getting the same tb and i want to get some info on it to see if i can stop him from doing so..
Some of the older LSX's had issues with idling (mostly surging) with bigger cams and other mods. Before all the tuning softwares became readily available, an old trick was to drill a hole in the butterfly. This is the case with Vince's TB. Also, with the TB having the setscrew powerdcoated over, there is no adjustment to close the butterfly a little more.

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Saturday, April 10, 2010 11:23 AM
Yea this is the same hole I have in my LS1 TB as well. Here is a pic

306 TQ
Saturday, April 10, 2010 12:02 PM
Any other 04 ecu s to swap to test?

Saturday, April 10, 2010 4:49 PM
thats my tb dave!

Built&Boosted moar
04 Cavalier Turbo r.i.p my baby
2nd place 2009 GM tuner bash qwick 8--holla

Saturday, April 10, 2010 4:59 PM
thanks guys i really appretiate it.. good luck on getting that thing running

Sunday, April 11, 2010 7:39 AM
QWK LN2 (aka ImPhat0260) wrote:

Some of the older LSX's had issues with idling (mostly surging) with bigger cams and other mods. Before all the tuning softwares became readily available, an old trick was to drill a hole in the butterfly. This is the case with Vince's TB. Also, with the TB having the setscrew powerdcoated over, there is no adjustment to close the butterfly a little more.

break the set screw loos if you have to. i dont care what it does...

i still feel this is an HPT issue. i know you posted on hpt website last year about having problems with a new beta.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, April 11, 2010 8:28 AM

Sunday, April 11, 2010 10:07 AM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:

break the set screw loos if you have to. i dont care what it does...

i still feel this is an HPT issue. i know you posted on hpt website last year about having problems with a new beta.
Thats easier said than done... The high idle I can live with for the moment. The scanner issues are whats concerning me. I was thinking this was an HPT issue at first, but now I am leaning towards the PCM. TO be honest though, I really don't know. I can get all scanner functions to work if I scan any of my 3 cavaliers. If I hook it up to yours then, it works fine until I flash your PCM. Once I flash your PCM,. I lose the tach, O2, commanded AFR, timing/knock displays, and all my histograms. If I go to insert them back into primary table, there is not even an option for them. I have never ran into anything like this. I even went as far as going back to 2.22 and still have the same issues. I am trying to locate another 2004 PCM to be 100% sure, but have not got any calls back yet.

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Sunday, April 11, 2010 10:24 AM
and now its my time to help you vince contact scott.. hes a great guy and will def help you out

Sunday, April 11, 2010 11:00 AM
arrival_04_eco (green98cav) wrote:and now its my time to help you vince contact scott.. hes a great guy and will def help you out
Help him out in what ways?

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Sunday, April 11, 2010 11:05 AM
arrival_04_eco (green98cav) wrote:and now its my time to help you vince contact scott.. hes a great guy and will def help you out
Help him out in what ways?

he has an 04 pcm (well he did about a week ago and im pretty sure its not been sold..) sorry my previous post was vague...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, April 11, 2010 11:30 AM

Sunday, April 11, 2010 9:14 PM
Hey ryan, can you post up the fuel issues as well in case people have some troubleshooting ideas or tips....

Sunday, April 11, 2010 9:46 PM
Crummy, problems are never fun especially when they are like this.
What changes were made since he drove it down there? Those are the items that may be worth checking into first...

Any changes in wiring ( wiring was likely modified for the different plug on the TPS, any wires/plugs extended for the relocation of the coolant reservoir)
Are the new injectors the correct impedance?

If hpt logs correctly until it was flashed does sound like an ECU concern. Finding another one to add would be nice but requires more HP credits.
Vince mentioned the car also has low fuel pressure now also. Seems like a different/separate concern than the electrical problems. If the FPR was recently added that might be worth checking or the wiring for the fuel pump. I know he had it routed under the car, hopefully nothing snagged it.

Good luck, keep us updated.

12.770 @ 111.99 Intercooled Eaton M62

Monday, April 12, 2010 6:36 AM
Airtonics wrote:Crummy, problems are never fun especially when they are like this.
What changes were made since he drove it down there? Those are the items that may be worth checking into first...

Any changes in wiring ( wiring was likely modified for the different plug on the TPS, any wires/plugs extended for the relocation of the coolant reservoir)
Are the new injectors the correct impedance?

If hpt logs correctly until it was flashed does sound like an ECU concern. Finding another one to add would be nice but requires more HP credits.
Vince mentioned the car also has low fuel pressure now also. Seems like a different/separate concern than the electrical problems. If the FPR was recently added that might be worth checking or the wiring for the fuel pump. I know he had it routed under the car, hopefully nothing snagged it.

Good luck, keep us updated.
Tell me about it... I can usually knock one of these out in a matter of hours.... I have gone over everything that Brandon did. Actually, we both went over it a few times just to make sure. As for adding another ECM, it would only cost for the ECM as I already have 2004 model year purchased... I also believe that these are more than likely 2 differnet concerns. I am almost wondering if the clamp is loose or the feed line has a kink or pin hole in it in the tank... Like I said before, I am not 100% sure its the PCM, but it is a possibility. Hopefully HPT Support has an idea and gets back to be quick...

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Monday, April 12, 2010 6:55 AM
subscribed as i am curious to see what caused the problem......

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search