Found a prototype quad4 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Found a prototype quad4
Wednesday, February 09, 2011 9:50 AM
So to make a long story short, I came across a former engineer for G.M. recently and got this off him. It's a "prototype" quad 4 they were working on back in the 90's they were trying to put into the Fiero. They pulled the plug on it, leaving the motor stranded in his garage untill I came across it this summer

Some specs on it :
- magnesium block
-cosworth head 13:1 compression
-adjustable cam gears
-was designed to be a production motor: said to run on pump gas, came with a/c pump (not getting used)
- motor was on the dyno. Suppose to of made 300hp

If your a quad guy, you'll notice more things different about it. I need to get a rear main for it and find a new water pump to work with it. The valve cover has seen better days but I dont believe it should be a problem, just an eye sore. It had a checklist of numbers all over it. As you can see there are still a few on it I need to clean up. And of course the cool part, is it has a couple "badges" on it that say exerimental sample on it. Which give me hope it is the real deal and I didnt just get some random ass engine. And of course, its going in a J. Enjoy, C&C are welcome.

Re: Found a prototype quad4
Wednesday, February 09, 2011 9:58 AM
Looks kinda cool. bet its impossible to get parts for.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 10:03 AM
still pretty nice, if it actually puts out those numbers me and the other quad guys would have a reason to go there and kick you in the nuts just to take your engine, nice find none the less, good luck finding the part

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen
Wednesday, February 09, 2011 10:20 AM
I feel like Ive seen that engine on here before.....

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 10:21 AM
Aw. I was hoping to see an aerotech

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 10:35 AM
There was a discussion about this engine in AG and no one believed it was a quad because it appears so different. That being said they didn't figure out what they thought it was.

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 10:38 AM
It has a quad crank pulley...

Where are the other heads?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, February 09, 2011 10:40 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, February 09, 2011 10:52 AM
It's an EcoQuad

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Wednesday, February 09, 2011 10:55 AM
Very interesting.

Want hub spacers? Shoot me a PM.

I <3 JGM

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 11:07 AM
wow... i can definitely see the similarities now with a few more pics. i guess you werent @!#$tn us were ya, mike? LOL

very weird.

have to correct though... this looks like an prototype LD9, not a quad 4. definitely has more similarities with the twin cam thats for sure...

and @!#$, even further out i think its more of an ecotec prototype than an LD9... is there a year stamped on this thing?

info? where did you get it?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, February 09, 2011 11:10 AM

If it takes forever.... I will die trying. Underdog Racing
Wednesday, February 09, 2011 11:21 AM
i say check the bellhousing... i bet you find it has an ecotec style.

If it takes forever.... I will die trying. Underdog Racing

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 11:40 AM
Do you have the IDI cover for it? I see in the pics that it uses the coil on plug setup.

You should pull the valve cover off and show is the adjustable cam gears and pull the timing cover off to show us that too!

Also, wheres the water pump?

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 11:44 AM
I got it from a guy that was an engineer for GM here in ohio. I believe he said they canned it in 1991. It has AC delco part numbers on simple things like the alternator and starter. They planned for this motor to go into the Fiero, which with this motor in it would have killed the corvette at the time. Which GM obviously did not want happening.

The guy that built these wishes to stay anynomous. So i cant say exactly who i got it from. But they guy is really cool. He now has a little shop that he does custom twin turbo set-ups in just about everything you can imagine. He was also in Hot Rod Magazine back in the 70s for his own turbo setups.

But back to the motor. I need to get a rear main seal for it. It simply didnt come with one. I dont know where its at, nor does he. So were trying to find something from GM that fits it, but i got to get it off the stand to do that. But i know for sure an LD9 doesnt even come close to it. And i also need a water pump. It came with one, but it got very corroded over the years and just for peace of mind i would like to find something that works in it. Im pretty sure one from a 1.9 Saturn will fit in it. But ill have to look into that more.

Im sure i forgot something. If any of ya want some more pics just ask.
Wednesday, February 09, 2011 11:45 AM
I know that motor! It's mine now send it over.

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 11:49 AM
DSMskyline wrote:Do you have the IDI cover for it? I see in the pics that it uses the coil on plug setup.

You should pull the valve cover off and show is the adjustable cam gears and pull the timing cover off to show us that too!

Yes it does have in IDI cover for it. Its just black and says DOHC on it. Ill take the cover off and show ya that good stuff of course. And Ill talke the oil pan off and let ya check that out too, its gotta cool setup. And the rods are beefy as hell. The water pump is on the front on the motor instead of the back. The only accesories on it is an alternator, water pump, and tensionor. It came with a/c, but that is for sure not gonna get used lol.
Wednesday, February 09, 2011 12:12 PM
Quote:

If any of ya want some more pics just ask.

More pics this is very interesting :]

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 12:24 PM
How may liters is this motor?

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Wednesday, February 09, 2011 12:35 PM
Wtf do I know but it allmost looks like an eco head on the 2.s block water pump is throwing me off though. i]

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 12:36 PM
Looks like a Saturn engine or something similiar. Does have the H.O. harmolic balancer pulley. A plastic version of the H.O. intake manifold that is very interesting. "Simliar" exhaust manifold to a LO quad 4. Ecotec style fuel rail....?

WTF is all I can say....LOL

GMR has got nothing on this
Wednesday, February 09, 2011 12:45 PM
Fuel rail was built half an hour from me where my Uncle used to work, haha

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Wednesday, February 09, 2011 12:55 PM
Justin Stinepring wrote:
DSMskyline wrote:Do you have the IDI cover for it? I see in the pics that it uses the coil on plug setup.

The water pump is on the front on the motor instead of the back.

I totally missed the second picture on my phone. Seems kind of weird. Nice that its belt driven and not timing chain driven.

Try mating it to a transmission with a ld9 bell housing?

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 1:19 PM
i want.

My car was made with wrenches, Not chopsticks.
Wednesday, February 09, 2011 1:23 PM
Looks like some weird Quad 4 / Saturn 1.9DOHC Hybrid......actually it looks more like a 1.9 Saturn motor than anything.

Very interesting tho, I'll be watching this thread...I love prototype stuff like this.

My buddy is the one that ended up with that experimental GM Quad 4 they build for testing transmissions, Supposedly made 250hp all motor. Sadly tho it got stripped, and the remaining bits sit in a box at his house.

I think Brad (zyaaa) you ended up with the intake manifold from that motor.

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 2:43 PM
Its definitely neat! I like how the exhaust ports look like a quad but the bolt pattern looks like LD9.

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 2:53 PM
i was thinking it looks like the 2.3 eco power , aka SAAB motor other than being flipped around

if its cosworth related it should have made in england some where , since that is where they are based from

its definitely something odd and different , and looks like they set it up for 2 different crank sensors

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search